C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

any change after installing stainless steel brake lines?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:55 AM
tramminc
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default any change after installing stainless steel brake lines?

or is it mainly for looks, I know rubber flexes.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:58 AM
vsocks1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will get a firmer pedal.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:28 PM
olefam
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi,
I'm planning to do this same upgrade myself in the next week. Just received my Goodrich lines and am looking forward to the improvement. I have a friend who amateur races his 2006 Z06 and states that the SS lines are the best PERFORMANCE improvement for the money you can do to the braking system. Drilled / slotted discs are primarily for bling. Very hard ceramic pads may actually hurt braking in a street-driven car.
Best wishes.
Glen
Old 06-14-2009, 07:31 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Yes, I also have a firmer pedal. I love the way my brakes feel now!
Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 PM
tiojames
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I put them on my vert when I went to the big brakes. Honestly couldn't see much difference other than a little firmer pedal. They are a safety factor and I think some one who auto crosses or road races their car a lot could tell the difference.

Last edited by tiojames; 06-14-2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Jaxian
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Default More than just firm, more stamina !!!

When I switched to the SS lines you do get a firmer pedal which is nice but mostly I noticed after driving up in the mountains for a while the SS lines stayed very linear in how they felt when I pressed on them.

The rubber lines would kind of become non linear in how they reacted to my inputs, the unpredictability made me drive slower and with much less confidence. The SS lines felt exactly the same the whole time. Press the pedal a certain distance, get a certain amount of stopping power each and every time.

Much more confidence inspiring. I guess if you where just driving around or doing occasionaly short blasts to speed you would only notice the firmer pedal and not get the real benefit of this modification.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:00 PM
c5blkvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stainless lines going on after my leaky butt fix. After 12 years I feel better about having stainless lines.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:30 AM
Point & Shoot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

....with the above post about a firmer and more linear pedal. I installed the Goodrich lines 2 months ago and absolutley love them !!

The next thing is to swap out my ceramic pads for Hawk HPS.

So you know, the lines with the 90 degree bends go on the front and the 45 degree bends go on the back. Make sure you take the time so you have no kinks or weird bends in them before tightening them down.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Hey guys, I got my lines from Mike Yeager. He now has them on sale! Check them out at this link:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-99-a-set.html
Old 06-15-2009, 11:54 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by tramminc
or is it mainly for looks, I know rubber flexes.
They are primarily for look. If there was truly any improvement they need to give a percent improvement in volumetric expansion over stock brake hoses. What most people fail to understand, the stock brake hoses have a steel braid in them that has a rubber coating. The rubber coating is to protect the hose braid from corrosion and from chafing. Any brake hose should meet or exceed a number of SAE spec’s.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:19 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

If they're just an appearance mod, people are going to have to look pretty darn hard to appreciate them.

Originally Posted by Eric D
What most people fail to understand, the stock brake hoses have a steel braid in them that has a rubber coating.
Any more info on this? I hadn't heard that before. I did some searching and only found this:

A typical brake hose comprises an inner tube of polychloroprene rubber, a reinforcing layer of suitable fibrous material, a cushion layer of suitable elastomeric material, a second fiber reinforcing layer and a polychloroprene cover. Several different materials have been used, generally braided, as brake hose reinforcement including cotton, rayon, polyester, polyvinyl alcohol and some mixtures and combinations thereof.
The rubber coating is to protect the hose braid from corrosion and from chafing.
This I definitely agree with. While stainless lines may be more resistant to impact or rubbing damage in racing applications, they actually require more maintenance checking for abrasion and periodic replacement.

I put a set on my last C5 and felt like I could better modulate braking pressure at the limit, but it could very well have been placebo effect. I also know a lot of guys who track their C5s, and are faster than I, who stick with stock rubber lines.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:39 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by B-ras
Any more info on this? I hadn't heard that before. I did some searching and only found this:
Yep, do a search on SAE J1401. FMVSS 106-74. Contains carbon steel wire braid.
This I definitely agree with. While stainless lines may be more resistant to impact or rubbing damage in racing applications, they actually require more maintenance checking for abrasion and periodic replacement.
It is always nice to have at least one thing to agree on.

I put a set on my last C5 and felt like I could better modulate braking pressure at the limit, but it could very well have been placebo effect. I also know a lot of guys who track their C5s, and are faster than I, who stick with stock rubber lines.
No, I believe your improvements you felt are real. No placebo...but, I also believe that doing a good and complete brake bleed will greatly improve pedal feel. Something everyone attempts to do after installing new brake lines and maybe attribute to the new hoses.

Last edited by Eric D; 06-15-2009 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:55 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

Yep, do a search on SAE J1401. FMVSS 106-74. Contains carbon steel wire braid.
Thanks
Old 06-15-2009, 03:10 PM
Purerock105
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

No, I believe your improvements you felt are real. No placebo...but, I also believe that doing a good and complete brake bleed will greatly improve pedal feel. Something everyone attempts to do after installing new brake lines and may attribute to the new hoses.

Yep. How does one accurately measure a firmer pedal when other factors are involved as in anyone who replaces brake lines are forced into bleeding the system. Obviously, thats a variable for a firmer pedal.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:16 PM
dpw41285
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

90% of what you feel is from bleeding the system, 8% is justifiaction on spending your money, and 2% is marketing bs imo
Old 06-15-2009, 03:29 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Purerock105
Yep. How does one accurately measure a firmer pedal when other factors are involved as in anyone who replaces brake lines are forced into bleeding the system. Obviously, thats a variable for a firmer pedal.
I guess one way might be to do a thorough bleed the brake system prior to hose replacement, drive the car enough to get a good feel for pedal effort and then change the lines. Maybe the better way would be to compare the SAE J1401 results for the replacement compared to the originals.

To the original poster, I believe most people change the lines thinking they are changing a rubber hose with a stainless steel part. The improvements most folks report is at least in part due to bleeding the brake system.

Last edited by Eric D; 06-15-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:39 PM
B-ras
Melting Slicks

I agree with the sentiment you guys are expressing in general.

FWIW, in my case brake fluid never spends more than a few weeks in the system. I do a full flush after every track day, roughly monthly. The only variable I was assessing was the lines.
Old 06-15-2009, 05:31 PM
ljthe2nd
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

This is just my opinion, no fact to back it up, just over 40 years of fixing my own cars.

I think the age of the brake lines when you change them to the new SS lines might be the reason some people say they feel a difference and others say no difference, its just for show. As rubber and other materials in the brake lines get old they can stretch out from all the years of high pressure use

I bought my car new, with only 5k miles on it I changed the brakes to drilled and slotted rotors, Z06 calipers, ceramic pads and Goodrich SS brake lines. The car was basically new and I didn't feel any difference at all over the stock stuff.

The people that are changing out brake lines that are 7,8,9,10 years old etc. and put on SS lines and bleed the brakes are feeling a firmer pedal, but I bet if you were to put on a new OEM rubber hose you would feel the same thing.
Old 06-24-2009, 09:22 AM
man00dude
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

A friend of mine swapped out his OEM lines with SS on his C5. He swears that his braking performance has increased two-fold. His car is a garage queen, doesn't drive hard, doesn't track. He also swapped out the OEM pads with GM Ceramics and replaced the OEM calipers with red painted ones.

I believe this is one of those personal satisfaction (and "I can") factors. We all do it, no matter what it entails. Wheather it is on our cars, home, clothes, etc.

Enjoy life and go for it.

Get notified of new replies

To any change after installing stainless steel brake lines?

Quick Reply: any change after installing stainless steel brake lines?