C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Phadt Coilovers installed!!! Pics Inside!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 08:21 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Default New Pfadt Coilovers installed!!! Pics Inside!

Well, my 99 vert was getting a bit too low on its own. I took it to a shop, and they let me know the front spring was relaxing. So, I talked with Mike Yeager of Eastcoast Performance (864) 404-1776, and Mike suggested I remove both the front and rear OEM springs, and install the new Pfadt adjustable coil-over kit. I agreed, and let Joey Cartee of Corvettes and Classic (864) 268-6820 do the install. While this was going on, Mike convinced me to replace my old sway bars with plastic end links. So, I went with Pfadt C5 Street Sway Bars. Joey installed these at the same time! A short while later, when I got my car back, I could not believe the change in the ride! it now handles a million times better than before. I would reccomend these to anyone that wants a better riding suspension system on your car! Well enough with the words; here are the pictures:

Dropping the old shocks:

Out with the old F45 selective ride control shocks:

No more shock!

Here is all the OLD rear suspension components:

Time to remove the front:

There gos the dead leaf spring:

Here is all the OLD front suspension components:

Now, don't druel too much... here's the new coil-overs:

... and the new sway bars:

here is one of the rear coil-overs installed:

Setting up the front sway bar:

and the other side of the front:

Rear sway bar conencted:

Rear sway installed (and the Pfat differential brace int he backgroud:

The rear end link complete:

and the front complete:

Guys, joey did a LOT of setup on all this. He is the only person to work on my car beside Mike Yeager (who installed mmy ProCharger), and myself, of course.

Now some of you may be thinink that I removed F45 shocks, and will get several alerts on the DIC. You are correct! I got these:
[Suspension] C1712 - LF Damper Actuator Open CKT (History) (Current)
[Suspension] C1717 - RF Damper Actuator Open CKT (History) (Current)
[Suspension] C1722 - LR Damper Actuator Open CKT (History) (Current)
[Suspension] C1727 - RR Damper Actuator Open CKT (History) (Current)

And also warning about my suspension not working, and my speed is limited to 80 MPH.

How to remedy this? Install some resistors! Joey had the great idea of cutting the cables off the old shocks before disposing of them; so I did. I bough 8 20 ohm-20Watt resistors. I placed them in four pairs of two, and soldered the pair in parallel across the two wires in the cable:

Yes... I did solder them better...

These plugged into the sockets and only took a few minutes for me to install. No more codes!!!!

Last edited by clif; 08-01-2009 at 07:57 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-28-2009, 11:02 PM
allngn_c5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am looking into the Pfadt suspension for next year. How many miles on your stock?

I have a 2000 frc, with the z51 upgrade and Active handling. Approx 54000 miles on them. I was thinking I'd be in the 60's by next season, so it might be time to upgrade to a very good setup like the Pfadt coilover.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:50 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

My 99 has only 45k miles. Joey showed me some of my shocks were dead that he removed. I am glad I had them replaced. Age was the killer. Since you have a 2000, yours are probly about shot as well. Call Mike Yeager for a great price!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 AM
GETOPLES
Pro

Nice write up! Well done!
Old 06-29-2009, 05:28 PM
jdmvette
Night Owl for life
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,255 Likes on 1,674 Posts

lotta $$ there.
Old 06-30-2009, 08:43 AM
allngn_c5
Racer

Originally Posted by csdunaway
My 99 has only 45k miles. Joey showed me some of my shocks were dead that he removed. I am glad I had them replaced. Age was the killer. Since you have a 2000, yours are probly about shot as well. Call Mike Yeager for a great price!
Thanks for the info man. The biggest reason I am looking into the Pfadt Coilover pkg is due to wanting more control over my car, especially at high speeds. On a run from 50 to 170 or so all the torque made the car feel a bit too loose for my tastes. I remeber the suspension being tighter just a few years ago and a lot less hp too though. Do you think when I am WOT and accelerating as hard as I am that the rear suspension is fighting a losing battle to keep the car tracking properly. It felt like she was loose for lack of a better term. As soon as I came out of the throttle she felt much better. Low speeds during hard acceleration are fine, but high speeds she's a little out there. You are probably right, my suspension is dead or dying in terms of handling the upper ends of the cars capabilities. Normal driving and even highway speeds are fine but push it past 100 mph under heavy throttle and the suspension yields to the power. Hope this makes sense.

The adjustability factor too.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:13 AM
miami993c297
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by allngn_c5
Thanks for the info man. The biggest reason I am looking into the Pfadt Coilover pkg is due to wanting more control over my car, especially at high speeds. On a run from 50 to 170 or so all the torque made the car feel a bit too loose for my tastes. I remeber the suspension being tighter just a few years ago and a lot less hp too though. Do you think when I am WOT and accelerating as hard as I am that the rear suspension is fighting a losing battle to keep the car tracking properly. It felt like she was loose for lack of a better term. As soon as I came out of the throttle she felt much better. Low speeds during hard acceleration are fine, but high speeds she's a little out there. You are probably right, my suspension is dead or dying in terms of handling the upper ends of the cars capabilities. Normal driving and even highway speeds are fine but push it past 100 mph under heavy throttle and the suspension yields to the power. Hope this makes sense.

Hi Doug,

Aero is a major factor on those C5 about high speed stability...

Always take carefully of where your rake (static and dynamic) is set-up, specially above 170mph...

Christian
Old 06-30-2009, 10:03 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by allngn_c5

Thanks for the questions... I am no expert on high-speed handling; and I cannot yet push my car due to a break-in period on my new differential. All I can say is with the new Coil-overs and sway bars, my car feels very very tight. I have pushed it on an on ramp that is a huge curve, and it stayed nice and tight at 70 MPH as I was rounding the curve. I would call Phat Engineering directly and ask them about high speed handling. After all, thats all they do: racing systems!
Old 06-30-2009, 11:07 AM
XtremeVette
NCM Bash 2008-2018
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Granby, MA Talladega Super Speedway Vettes 4 Vets Ambassador
Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts
Middle TN Events Coordinator
Cruise-In 1, 3, 9. 10 & 11 Veteran

Yeh i agree looks like a lot of $$$$$$$$$ and quite honestly major overkill? I dunno...they are great products and everything but with my upgraded Z06 sways I haven't pushed my car over any limits. Granted I don't road race it.

Just my 02.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:58 AM
allngn_c5
Racer

Originally Posted by miami993c297
Hi Doug,

Aero is a major factor on those C5 about high speed stability...

Always take carefully of where your rake (static and dynamic) is set-up, specially above 170mph...

Christian
Thanks to the OP, and to my favoritc Uncle Christian. My car is lowered (not slammed) on stock bolts. Felt very good at high speeds before I went to the stroker, even buried the speedo a few times and she felt fine. I believe because I am able to get to those speeds a lot quicker with the extra power the suspension is starting to show signs of fatigue.

Thanks a lot for the good info. This won't happen for me until next year anyways, just planning ahead. I want this 541 rwhp 505 rwtq beast of mine tied to the ground whether she's going in a straight line or thru the curves on the expressway.
Old 07-07-2009, 08:58 AM
black*out*vette
Drifting

what do u mean the car only goes 80 mph? thanks
Old 07-07-2009, 09:14 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by black*out*vette
what do u mean the car only goes 80 mph? thanks
When the OEM shocks are unplugged, you get all the warnings on the DIC. One of them says your speed is limited to 80 MPH. I had to verify that: I drove on an open stretch oh highway, and opened it up. At 81, I got a fuel cut-off until my speed dropped below 80.

After I installed the resistors, all the warnings went away, and no more speed limiting!
Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 AM
Old Rotor Head
Melting Slicks

great set-up
Old 07-07-2009, 09:53 AM
Irish Whiskey
Melting Slicks

What about daily ride? Is comfort compromised?
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, those are some nice looking parts, bet the car handles like a dream now.

What do you think of the trans brace? I've been struggling with whether or not to get one for a while. I cant stand noise and vibration and I hear that brace ups it a bit.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:13 AM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

I LOVE driving my car all over again! It rides so smooth now. It corners so flat and awesome. I also had the E2 tunnel plate installed. It is so much more solid than the OEM. I had the trans brace installed to prevent any damage to to torsion. At the same time, I also has Pfadt solid motor mounts installed. I do feel some engine vibration while idling,but I got used to that very quick. I am happy with this setup. Now, its time for bigger wheels and brakes!

Last edited by clif; 08-01-2009 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:53 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

what did all that cost you, installed, if you dont mind me asking
Old 07-09-2009, 01:43 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
what did all that cost you, installed, if you dont mind me asking
PM Sent!
Old 07-09-2009, 03:05 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice mods, enjoy

Chuck

Get notified of new replies

To New Phadt Coilovers installed!!! Pics Inside!

Quick Reply: New Phadt Coilovers installed!!! Pics Inside!