C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Battery Charge

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 09:49 PM
MorpheusGPR
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optima Battery Charge

I unhooked the battery over the winter, yes I just got the car out and it was dead today. Seemed like there was just a slight sound coming from the dome light but no illumination and nothing else would work, not even the switch to pop the fuel tank lid.

So I drug out the large charger with wheels and got it hooked up. Stuck it on the 40 amp setting and let it go for awhile, the gauge on the charger was reading in the yellow, 20 and less. Came back to it 15-20 minutes and got clicks but no fire.

So I went ahead and put it on the 225 amp setting and switched the timer over to about 30 min. When I came back it was still charging (I was out chatting) and I found it odd the engine light was off? I went over and turned the timer back down to zero/off and the light flikered back on (connection issue?) The charger gauge was now reading somehwere in the low red and around the 40 mark, gauge goes to 60 if I recall.

Fired up pretty quick and I let it run for 15 minutes or so and up to temp.

Is there anyway to tell if an Optima has been overcharged or if its leaked at any point? What are the gray circles on the top for? I did notice that the positive side of the battery was warm to the touch and the negative side was not, I assume this is from it taking the charge.

Last edited by MorpheusGPR; 07-11-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-11-2009, 11:16 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Optima battery

Hi, there isn't a reliable way to know if the optima was overcharged. You could do a load test to get an idea of it's capacity, or a state of charge test to get an idea of it's condition. But bottom line is that battery's don't give a lot of warning when they are going to fail. If the optima was overcharged the relief valves would open and let the gas out so the battery would not burst, when that happens you do lose some electrolyte, even in an optima. Also optima's particularly do not like being discharged past 80% charge capacity. If they are discharged to the point of being that dead as your was, you can bet that it has lost some of it's capacity. If you are not driving the car for more than a few days, especially the vette with it'shigh inherant amp draw, you should put a proper maintainer on it, especially with an agm type battery which the optima is. If the battery is still within the warranty period,it may be a good idea totry for a replacement.
Good Luck
Old 07-11-2009, 11:48 PM
MorpheusGPR
Burning Brakes

Where are those valves? Are they the gray circles on top and if so what changes about them? It makes sense to have something since its a sealed battery.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:39 AM
bluvette79
Pro

color tops are more trouble than they are worth, in my humble opinion
Old 07-16-2009, 09:45 PM
MorpheusGPR
Burning Brakes

Car is at the dealer so they checked the battery and said its no good...its about a year maybe less. Now I need to track down the paperwork on it. They said they had to jump it just to get the car into the bay.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:15 PM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Optimas are junk. Get a new Delco
Old 07-16-2009, 10:42 PM
mikem350
Melting Slicks

Received 95 Likes on 92 Posts

Batteries are about 50 Amp/hr capacity. So, for example, if you charge a dead one, at a 25 amp rate, it should take about 2 hrs. The battery's voltage rises during charging; thats why you will see the current tapering off as it reaches full charge. I mention this as a caution to not overcharge.

If a dead battery will not "take" a charge it is a sign that it is probably bad!!

Cars are designed with low enough "off" drains to sit at least for 1-2 weeks or more.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:38 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd also say it's a goner,,225 is for a sort of jump start situation,,,putting it on that setting for that long,,I'd say you cooked it !!
Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 AM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by itzza427
I'd also say it's a goner,,225 is for a sort of jump start situation,,,putting it on that setting for that long,,I'd say you cooked it !!
Agreed...my charger has a 75A "Engine Start" setting to help get the car going. The lights on the front all start flashing, the gauge maxes out and thing hums like crazy...as if to say "I'm going to wreck-up your battery now..."
Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 AM
minitech
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
Optimas are junk. Get a new Delco
Very true.

The reason Optimas had a following is because many many years ago STOCK C5 batteries sometimes leaked and caused all kinds of problems with leaking over the computer and wire harness, etc..

For a brief time years ago Optimas were a battery that didn't leak as much as others. This was a brief period because now other batteries are also NOT likely to leak.

For the less ability to leak years ago some traded a HUGE amount of actual battery function. Anyone being honest will say "Optimas are definitely not as good in function as ordinary batteries" If they say different they are just not being honest.

Currently it is stupid to use an Optima in an automobile. Other batteries are just plain better and do not leak. Optimas are excellent for boats.

Some people feel they look better and that is a completely different issue and just great if that is what you want. Inferior battery that looks "Good"
Old 07-17-2009, 10:55 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Old 07-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by minitech
Very true.

The reason Optimas had a following is because many many years ago STOCK C5 batteries sometimes leaked and caused all kinds of problems with leaking over the computer and wire harness, etc..

For a brief time years ago Optimas were a battery that didn't leak as much as others. This was a brief period because now other batteries are also NOT likely to leak.

For the less ability to leak years ago some traded a HUGE amount of actual battery function. Anyone being honest will say "Optimas are definitely not as good in function as ordinary batteries" If they say different they are just not being honest.

Currently it is stupid to use an Optima in an automobile. Other batteries are just plain better and do not leak. Optimas are excellent for boats.

Some people feel they look better and that is a completely different issue and just great if that is what you want. Inferior battery that looks "Good"
Weel said. They are 100% bling. The god awful price and reliability record is another thing all together.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:18 PM
MorpheusGPR
Burning Brakes

So far so good for the one in my truck.

Its still got a warranty on it.

It was bad before charging it, thats why its not holding a charge, it was not on the charger long. It did not even hold the charge over night at the dealer.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Battery Charge

Quick Reply: Optima Battery Charge