C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 12:07 PM
03BlackClassic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Key Fob Problems

After reading several threads about the issue of the key fobs. I purchased the car with the fob not working. I took it to the dealership and they tested the battery. The original battery was dead so I replaced it. I went to re-sync by holding down the lock and unlock button and that didn't work. So i reprogrammed the fob and after holding down the buttons for several seconds the computer never said that the fob was never synced. I then tried the fob inside the car and it worked. I turn the key off and get out of the car and it works for about 30sec then the next time you come up to the car it doesn't work. Has anyone ever had this problem or know the answer to the problem. This is a 99 FRC and the TPMS system is working fine. I only have one fob so I can't try the other one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-22-2009, 12:44 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Classic symptoms of the dead FOB. Either get a new one from Gene Culley or do this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...em-solved.html
Old 07-22-2009, 04:19 PM
OleStraightStick
Le Mans Master

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

w/ mark.. mine is dead too and i plan on trying to re-solder mine soon
Old 07-22-2009, 06:30 PM
LightFighter_GXP
Pro

Yeah get a new FOB.. too easy!!

Oh man you went to the Stealership first?? how much did that cost you?
Old 07-22-2009, 08:06 PM
03BlackClassic
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mark C5
Classic symptoms of the dead FOB. Either get a new one from Gene Culley or do this:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...em-solved.html
Ok thanks for the info. I've never used a solder gun, but I'll give it a try. Also who is Gene Culley?

As for the taking it to the dealership they didn't charge me anything, we have taken every car we own to this place and the guys in the service department have always helped me out on factory parts.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:38 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Gene Culley:

http://www.gmpartshouse.com/
Old 07-22-2009, 08:53 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 03BlackClassic
Ok thanks for the info. I've never used a solder gun, but I'll give it a try. Also who is Gene Culley?

As for the taking it to the dealership they didn't charge me anything, we have taken every car we own to this place and the guys in the service department have always helped me out on factory parts.
Get your dealer's price and then call or e-mail Gene - phone number & e-mail address can be found on his web site.

For expensive items if you do your own servicing, Gene is the way to go. Great service goes along with what you will discover will be the cheapest price.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

After reading several threads about the issue of the key fobs. I purchased the car with the fob not working. I took it to the dealership and they tested the battery. The original battery was dead so I replaced it. I went to re-sync by holding down the lock and unlock button and that didn't work. So i reprogrammed the fob and after holding down the buttons for several seconds the computer never said that the fob was never synced. I then tried the fob inside the car and it worked. I turn the key off and get out of the car and it works for about 30sec then the next time you come up to the car it doesn't work. Has anyone ever had this problem or know the answer to the problem. This is a 99 FRC and the TPMS system is working fine. I only have one fob so I can't try the other one. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Have you checked for codes. My bro's car hads the same problem and he had brand new key fobs. He also had a 99 FRC.

Check for codes manually in the DIC.

Also check fuse #27 in footwell panel.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Fuse 27 is for the HVAC. How would that affect the keyless entry system?
Old 07-22-2009, 10:30 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Fuse 27 is for the HVAC. How would that affect the keyless entry system?
Because that's the circuit the RF transmitter works off in the rear of the car.

If you don't believe me look it up in the manual.

I probably know more about the wiring of these cars (C5) than most since I have converted from a coupe to FRC and from an auto to six speed.

It also helps to have a tech2 and dvd manual with wiring schematics.

Last edited by ajg1915; 07-22-2009 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:37 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Got it, thank you very much
Old 07-22-2009, 10:39 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Got it, thank you very much
Not a problem, hope it fixes problem. The labels on the fuse panel can be very mis-leading.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
03BlackClassic
Instructor

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Have you checked for codes. My bro's car hads the same problem and he had brand new key fobs. He also had a 99 FRC.

Check for codes manually in the DIC.

Also check fuse #27 in footwell panel.
Thanks for the info. I am new to the C5 world so i'm not sure how to check codes in the DIC? I will go check the fuse in the car right now though. Any help is appreciated. I'm usually mechanical, but this car is way different than anything i've worked on. I appreciate you guys being such a big help.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:38 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Thanks for the info. I am new to the C5 world so i'm not sure how to check codes in the DIC? I will go check the fuse in the car right now though. Any help is appreciated. I'm usually mechanical, but this car is way different than anything i've worked on. I appreciate you guys being such a big help.
The "diagnostic display" mode is entered with the following procedure:
1. Turn on the ignition but don't start the engine.
2. Press the "reset" button to turn off any warning messages
3. Press and hold "options" and
4. While holding "options", press "fuel" four times within a 10-second period.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:51 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

To enter the Diagnostic Display function perform the following steps:

1. Turn ON the ignition switch, with the engine OFF.
2. Press the RESET button to acknowledge any warning messages present.
3. Press the OPTIONS button on the Driver Information Center (DIC) and hold.
4. While holding the OPTIONS button press the FUEL button 4 times within a 5 second period.
5. System will first enter automatic display mode followed by the manual display mode.

Automatic Display DTC Mode

The automatic display feature allows you to read each module DTC display function in an automatic display sequence. Each system module DTC will be displayed for 3 seconds followed by a 1 second pause before the next DTC is displayed in an automatic sequence. If no DTC information is available from the system currently displayed on the IPC, the IPC will display NO CODES for that system. If there is a communications problem between any system, the IPC will display NO COMM when the IPC is trying to communicate with that system. When all DTCs have been displayed for all systems, the IPC will display NO MORE CODES for 2 seconds before entering the manual mode. At any time during the automatic display function, the manual display feature can be activated by pressing any button on the DIC except the E/M button. The E/M button is used to completely exit the DIAGNOSTICS mode at any time.
Manual Display DTC Mode

The manual display feature allows you to manually select each module DTC display function. The manual mode will automatically be entered after the automatic DTC display sequence is complete, or can be entered at any time during the automatic mode by pressing any button on the DIC except the E/M (E/M button is used to exit the DIAGNOSTIC mode at any time). When the manual mode is selected, the IPC will display the MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS mode message for 2 seconds, or until any button on the DIC except the E/M is pressed. After the MANUAL DIAGNOSTICS mode message is displayed, the IPC will display the first system abbreviation and quantity of codes stored for that system, then the IPC will wait for further instructions. The buttons on the DIC provide the following functions when operating the on-board diagnostic feature in the manual mode:
Old 07-23-2009, 09:41 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Are your tire pressure sensors working?
Old 07-23-2009, 12:02 PM
03BlackClassic
Instructor

Yeah the TPMS system is working just fine. I even air up and down on a couple of tires to check that part of the system. I am a tire wholesaler so I'm very aware with the TPMS systems. What will I be looking for in the DIC as far as a code and in which system would I be looking?

Get notified of new replies

To Key Fob Problems

Old 07-23-2009, 12:07 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

If the TPMS is working the problem is your fob.

You would be looking for a NO COMM message, but I'm 99.5 % certain it's your fob.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 PM
03BlackClassic
Instructor

Yeah everything in the DIC says no code. I am with you I believe that its the fob. I have spoke with JW on here about him trying to solder mine back together. If you know of anyone that is want to get rid of a 97-99 fob. The dealership here said 85 for a new one.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:21 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Yeah everything in the DIC says no code. I am with you I believe that its the fob. I have spoke with JW on here about him trying to solder mine back together. If you know of anyone that is want to get rid of a 97-99 fob. The dealership here said 85 for a new one.
Can you read your tire pressures on the DIC ???

If so, try a new fob and hope that fixes your problem. Good Luck.

Quick Reply: Key Fob Problems