C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Know the Front suspension really well ? (weird knock sound)

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 12:06 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Received 179 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Anyone Know the Front suspension really well ? (weird knock sound)

Guys:

So I have been messing around with this weird knock in my front suspension for a couple months now. No luck so far.

History:

1.) I lowered my car Feb 08 on C6 bolts/longer bolts in the rear. and got it fully aligned at a High Performance shop.
2.) 6 months later (2000 miles) I noticed a weird knocking sound in the front right when I turned. Drove over to LG's and they found that the lower A arm bolt had backed off and was loose.
3.) Went back to the High performance shop that did my alignment and complained that they did not torque everything down.... They re-aligned it again for me and said its torqued.
4.) 6 months later (2000 miles) I'm starting to notice that the steering wheel is not correct (slightly turned when driving straight). Car seems to pull side to side over bumpy roads. Soon after I hear that knock sound come back in the front right .
5.) I go to the RUFF Porsche dealer locally that all vette guys say is great for alignments. While he was doing the alignment I told him the history. He found all the alignment bolts on front and rear loose again.... Alignment was way off again. They do the alignment perfect. Drives straight as an arrow now. Everything torqued to spec and its not moving. I marked all the bolts. Problem is that the knock sound is still there.

My Observations:

1.) Its a single knock sound when turning, I can feel it too.
2.) Taking a right or left turn "softly", it will NOT knock.
3.) Taking a right or left turn "hard", it will make a single knock sound.
4.) Turning the steering wheel sitting in my driveway "hard" right or left, NO knock.
5.) If I take a hard right turn, it knocks... If I turn hard right again... NO knock. If I continue to turn right hard, it will not knock again.
6.) If I take a hard left turn, it knocks... If I turn hard left again... NO knock. If I continue to turn left hard, it will not knock again.
7.) If I drive down my street at any speed and turn HARD... Right-Left-Right-Left... It will knock each time I turn the opposite direction.
8.) I checked all the bolts I could under the front right suspension but nothing is loose.
9.) I raised the car and tried to forcefully move the tire side to side and up and down with my arms. It feels tight.

Any thoughts from anyone with experience on these suspensions ?

Car is a 2004 Z06 with 16K on the odo

It seems like something is loose or worn out. Something is slipping to one side when I turn hard right, and it stays there till I turn hard left...etc....

Likely due the shop that screwed my alignment the first 2 times due to undue stress on the components....

Thanks guys for any insight you may have !
Toque

Last edited by Toque; 07-24-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Blown427conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked the cradle and motor mount bolts? This could be a number of different things including a bad or dry ball joint or tie rod end. You could get under there and put a wrench on everything you see and try pushing/pulling on the steering components to look for excessive travel and lube/grease anything with a Zerk. Also take a look at the lowering bolts you installed, and the shocks for leakage or looseness. Just my .02. Good luck.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:30 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Blown427conv
Have you checked the cradle and motor mount bolts? This could be a number of different things including a bad or dry ball joint or tie rod end. You could get under there and put a wrench on everything you see and try pushing/pulling on the steering components to look for excessive travel and lube/grease anything with a Zerk. Also take a look at the lowering bolts you installed, and the shocks for leakage or looseness. Just my .02. Good luck.
Thanks for your input !

The cradle is the large silver aluminum piece that runs under the entire front end right ? I will check that. I'm not sure where the engine mounts are, but I can look for that too

The ball joints (upper and lower)and tie rod ends. . How will I know or how to detect if they are dry or bad ? Problem is that if I take a slow turn, the knock is not there. If I take a hard turn then I hear/feel it. I suspect I will not be able to feel or hear the issue trying to push/pull on things.

Whats a Zerk ?

PS.... car is a 2004 Z06 with 16K on the odo

Some good ideas to start with !

Thanks!
Toque
Old 07-24-2009, 02:36 PM
slothy
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

their are 4 nuts for the cradle (each corner) and motor mount nuts are recessed in craddle - if you crawl under car u can see them 2 of them.

as far i as seen out cars don't have any Zerk fittings (grease fitting)
Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Similar sound one time in my car turned out to be a sway bar end link not tightened enough. The torque spec for these is 55 ft/lbs IIRC.

BTW, torque spec for the camber adjustments are 125 ft/lbs. Some shops don't know this so you may want to verify this last shop has them set at this too.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:17 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by thehammer69
Similar sound one time in my car turned out to be a sway bar end link not tightened enough. The torque spec for these is 55 ft/lbs IIRC.

BTW, torque spec for the camber adjustments are 125 ft/lbs. Some shops don't know this so you may want to verify this last shop has them set at this too.
Thanks.... I will check that tonight...

Whats IIRC ?
What bolts are the camber adjustments ? The lower A arm bolts ? I know they are 125ftlbs for sure. I did that myself recently.

Metal End Links
Old 07-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Ball Stud and Knuckle Inspection

1. Check ball stud tightness in the knuckle boss when inspecting the ball stud.
2. Check ball stud tightness in the following manner:
1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
2. Shake the tire and wheel assembly while feeling for movement of the stud end at the knuckle boss
3. Shake the tire and wheel assembly while feeling for a loose prevailing torque nut at the knuckle boss
A loose prevailing torque nut may indicate the following:
* A bent stud in the knuckle boss
* An opened-up hole in the knuckle boss
3. Visually inspect for worn ball studs.
4. Visually inspect for damaged ball studs.
5. Visually inspect for worn knuckles.
6. Visually inspect for damaged knuckles.
7. Repair or replace any damaged component.
8. Lower the vehicle.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:07 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Mark:

Thanks for the information !
Whats a Ball Stud, and Knuckle ? Upper and lower Ball joint you mean ? Or part of the end links ?
I just need to figure out what it means now... Search function can be wonderful !

Toqu

Last edited by Toque; 07-24-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:39 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Yes, ball joint, that's just what the service manual calls the individual parts.
Old 07-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Mark C5
Yes, ball joint, that's just what the service manual calls the individual parts.
Thanks Mark !
Old 07-24-2009, 05:56 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Hey buddy.

Let me know if you want us to take a look at the car. My thought would be either a sway bar end link, or maybe even the tie rod ends.

Either way let me know.
Old 07-24-2009, 06:25 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

had a wierd noise also was sway bar end link check for play, any play replace.GOOD LUCK...
Old 07-24-2009, 08:22 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Hey buddy.

Let me know if you want us to take a look at the car. My thought would be either a sway bar end link, or maybe even the tie rod ends.

Either way let me know.
Thanks Anthony, sent you a PM.
Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by K RIPPER
had a wierd noise also was sway bar end link check for play, any play replace.GOOD LUCK...
Im planning to take a look at that tonight. Just not sure what is good and bad ? What kinda of play is good and bad ?

Thanks for your input !
Toque
Old 07-24-2009, 09:10 PM
thehammer69
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Toque
Whats IIRC ?
Acronym for "If I Recall Correctly"
Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a ball and socket joint which allows it a range of motion similar to your wrist but actually your hip joint is a better example. chances are one joint is bad there are two joints per end link 4 total the ball joint is opposite the threaded section shake ,move ,pry lightly with a screwdriver if there is play you will be able to tell as the good ones will show no play.I know it's a tough call when you don't have exp. to know what is acceptable and what is not, if it is the culprit and worn enough to be able to hear the clunk inside ,rest assured you will know which one is bad. good luck hope that is your prob. as it is prob. the easiest and cheapest repair
Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 PM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Guys:

RTGordon from DC suggested that I check my battery to make sure its not sliding around. It made sence to me cause I replaced it this spring. Well crap on a stick ! It was loose as hell in there !

I can't believe that I missed that !

I was so concentrated on the fact that I felt a similar knocking sound from the suspension a year ago because the place that did my first alignment left the lower A arm loose .... (Front right corner).

Thanks everyone for your input and ideas for my problem. I really appreciate the help and guidance you provided ! Gotta love these public forums !

I'll post back this weekend to confirm that its all fixed.

Toque
Old 08-19-2009, 10:24 PM
byronhunter
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Old 08-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Toque
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by byronhunter
Yea kinda funny it was just the battery huh ? Shame on me for not noticing right off...

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone Know the Front suspension really well ? (weird knock sound)

Quick Reply: Anyone Know the Front suspension really well ? (weird knock sound)