C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

active handling problems(have codes)

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 12:29 PM
jicken
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default active handling problems(have codes)

Active handling is kicking in when not needed and I got a service message for it.
Checked codes and what I got is listed below.
Am puzzled because only ones under TCS have "H". Maybe some others could affect the Active Handling??
Very grateful for any help with what I should do next.
Thanks!

10-PCM P1431C (fuel level sensor, I'm already trying Techron)

28-TCS C1214H and C1287H

AO-LDCM U1064H

A1 RDCM B2263H, B2265H, U1064H, U1016H

60-IPC No Codes
Old 07-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jicken
Active handling is kicking in when not needed and I got a service message for it.
Checked codes and what I got is listed below.
Am puzzled because only ones under TCS have "H". Maybe some others could affect the Active Handling??
Very grateful for any help with what I should do next.
Thanks!

10-PCM P1431C (fuel level sensor, I'm already trying Techron)

28-TCS C1214H and C1287H

AO-LDCM U1064H

A1 RDCM B2263H, B2265H, U1064H, U1016H

60-IPC No Codes
I am not sure about C1214. The C1287 is definitely means the Steering Wheel Position Sensor is bad. I had the same symptoms and the same c1287 code. replaced the SWPS and all is good. (fyi - part ~480, labor ~$260.

The incorrect SWPS data going to the ECBM could be causing the C1214 code.

Does the TC button still function? If not it maybe the relay in the ECBM.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Bluefire; 07-21-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:14 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Once you get the Service Message AH is totally deactivated along with traction control during that ignition cycle. C1214 is not related to C1287. C1287 indicates there is a problem with the steering sensor. This could be because of wheel alignment, the EBCM or the sensor itself. This could also be the cause of your active handling kicking in when not needed (if the sensor is on the edge of throwing a code AH may think there is a yaw rate difference it has to correct). C1214 indicates the system voltage for the BPMV is incorrect and this shuts down ABS, AH and TC.

C1214 is possibly the most expensive repair to make. It could be caused by a bad ground at G103, bad connections in the EBCM connector, low voltage or a bad EBCM, or both a bad EBCM and a bad BPMV. First check your voltage level at the EBCM connector and at its supply point in the underhood electrical center, then check the BPMV ground at G103 which is located on the driver's side frame rail next to the alternator. Then check the EBCM ground (G108) which is located under the battery along with G104. The EBCM ground could be a common failure point for both codes. Once you have checked those things then check the resistance between the BPMV motor circuits and ground. If they are below infinity then you need to replace the BPMV and replace/repair the EBCM.

Then check the steering sensor for proper operation by checking the reference voltages and connections. Then check the wheel alignment.

As you get into it you will probably need more details on how to do those things but I thought I would give you an idea of the procedure to use. If you can handle the procedure we can provide detailed diagnostic steps depending on the year of your car.

Bill
Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM
jicken
Heel & Toe

Thanks for the info!
Yes, the AH button seems to be working. When I push it, the AH OFF message appears, and the AH doesn't kick in during that drive. (Back on with next ignition)
I thought that the "H" after the code meant that the problem was in the past?? but maybe it could be that it's intermittent.
Thanks for any further thoughts!
J.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:06 PM
jicken
Heel & Toe

Thanks very much for the details. I have a 2001 coupe. I don't think I can do the ground investigating myself, but the info will be a huge help in working with a service department.
J.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:24 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

My understanding is that if the TC button still works the ECBM relay is fine. I know for a fact that the SWPS is a cheaply made POS with thin metal contacts inside that look like they came from a slot car.

IMHO and If I were you, I would investigate the SWPS first. The SWPS is inside the car on the steering column, near the floor board. It is a green ring and has a connector on the left side.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:41 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Thanks for the info!
Yes, the AH button seems to be working. When I push it, the AH OFF message appears, and the AH doesn't kick in during that drive. (Back on with next ignition)
I thought that the "H" after the code meant that the problem was in the past?? but maybe it could be that it's intermittent.
Thanks for any further thoughts!
J.
The H code does mean history but from the EBCM stand point C1214 will always be a history code when the engine is turned off. Drive the car and when you get the Service ABS, TC and AH messages pull over to the side of the road and run the diagnostics without turning off the engine. C1214 will show as current then. Everytime the engine is started the EBCM recycles and starts from scratch.

When you get the Service Message (ABS, TC, AH) on the DIC whatever system is highlighted has stopped working and will not function at all.

Originally Posted by Bluefire
My understanding is that if the TC button still works the ECBM relay is fine. I know for a fact that the SWPS is a cheaply made POS with thin metal contacts inside that look like they came from a slot car.

IMHO and If I were you, I would investigate the SWPS first. The SWPS is inside the car on the steering column, near the floor board. It is a green ring and has a connector on the left side.
That still does not mean he doesn't have a problem with the relay. If he doesn't resolve the C1214 code there is no sense worrying about the other. He might as well pull the ABS fuse and forget about the rest.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 07-21-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:30 AM
jicken
Heel & Toe

Okay. Bottom line question. Was about to take a road trip. Not sure I can get the diagnosis and repair done in time. Is it dangerous to drive with the AH button OFF and the 1214 and 1287 issues unresolved??? Or just mean I don't have AH...
Thanks for sharing wisdom!
Old 07-22-2009, 11:32 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

The 1214 is the classic EBCM relay problem starting to rear it's ugly head. absfixer has more info on his site.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Okay. Bottom line question. Was about to take a road trip. Not sure I can get the diagnosis and repair done in time. Is it dangerous to drive with the AH button OFF and the 1214 and 1287 issues unresolved??? Or just mean I don't have AH...
Thanks for sharing wisdom!
The car will be fine. It is you that has to remember it is off.
Be careful with the spirited driving.
Old 07-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

With 1214 you will not have ABS, AH or TC. Most of the time you will not know the difference. Without ABS you stand a chance of locking a wheel under extreme braking which could result in a flat spotted tire or worse.

The antilock brake system (includes ABS, AH and TC) rides on top of the base brake system and if it fails it will not hinder the functioning of the base brake system.

Bill
Old 07-22-2009, 04:53 PM
jicken
Heel & Toe

Default driving with code 1287

You guys are my gurus, thank you for the info! Happy to find out 1214 doesn't stop my road trip. Just means I have to behave :{

Same question please about C1287. Does that indicate a problem with the sensor that sends info about steering to the AH/TCS--OR can it also indicate a problem with the steering system itself?? Asking because of road trip and not sure I can get the diag and repair done before taking off.

J.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:45 PM
stormrider
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am going to follow this thread as I also have C1214 HC, C1248H and C1287H along with C1255H
Old 07-24-2009, 01:42 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by stormrider
I am going to follow this thread as I also have C1214 HC, C1248H and C1287H along with C1255H
Great advice as always from Bill

With a current C1214 I'm afraid its probably EBCM. absfixer.com will rebuild the module for you for about $150
Old 07-24-2009, 01:03 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

You guys are my gurus, thank you for the info! Happy to find out 1214 doesn't stop my road trip. Just means I have to behave :{

Same question please about C1287. Does that indicate a problem with the sensor that sends info about steering to the AH/TCS--OR can it also indicate a problem with the steering system itself?? Asking because of road trip and not sure I can get the diag and repair done before taking off.

J.
C1287 says the voltage out of the sensor is missing or outside of its expected range. Yes, that voltage is one of the pieces of information that the AH uses to tell if you are out of control. For the most part, it will not effect the mechanical steering. However, before I fixed the C1287 code (and while the AH and TC were still on) I could be driving down the freeway and the SWPS would glitch and I could feel the AH momentarily tap one of the front brakes because the system thought I was in a slide condition. It was never drastic but, I could feel it (the brake) was being tapped and the car would get slightly jerked in that direction.

I would remove the fuse that controles the AH prior to your trip and you should be fine.
Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM
Dave Dollarhide
4th Gear

When a new EBCM is installed, does it need to be programmed? I'm told by a mechanic friend that my VIN number needs to be programmed into the new module and that all parameters/inputs must be set by a qualified mechanic. He also said that if the VIN number is not programmed, the unit will drop dead after a certain number of start cycles. Any truth to this?

Get notified of new replies

To active handling problems(have codes)

Quick Reply: active handling problems(have codes)