C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KN Filter mod for Vararam

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:24 PM
BIGTACO
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KN Filter mod for Vararam

So if you have the old version of the vararam then this filter mod might be right up your alley!

The original version of the vararam has an very subpar foam "filter", if you could even call it that. I contacted vararam in an effort to upgrade the filter and they told me they now sell a filter upgrade but it includes a whole new redesigned upper portion. This enables their new filter to fit properly. Its something like 130 bucks for the upgrade...

If you don't want to go through all that and just keep the existing setup, but change out the filter, then this might be an option for you! Worked great for me!

Step 1) Buy this filter from K&N
http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?Prod=33-2522
Its designed for the 1974 to 1982 Triumph line.

Step 2) Cut the edges off either end of the rubber seal on the filter as shown in the photo. This aids the filter seat correctly against the inside of the vararam upper duct.

Step 3) Take your old OEM vararam filter and cut off the outer rim as in the photo. CLEAN this foam rim as needed. Then make sure to laugh at the sight of the old crappy filter in pieces!

Step 4) Place your K&N filter in the vararam upper duct.

Step 5) Wedge in the old filter's foam outer rim into the gap around the new filter and the vararam upper duct. This helps the filter to make a nice seal in the duct.

Old 07-26-2009, 04:37 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I performed the same steps with one extra. In step 4, I roughed up the housing lip which the filter surround sat on and used a silicon epoxy to seal and secure the filter to the housing. When it is time to clean the filter you spray the filter as usual from the larger intake side while it is still secured in the housing. Then when ready apply the stream of water (I use a hose nozzel on spray) from the small duct end and direct all around the filter. Pretty simple.....and effective.

Will squelch all the naysayers who say "stuff" gets by the Vararam filter and the foam filter is useless.

Thanks for the great pics

Ed M
Old 07-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

Did the same mod years ago before switching to the Baja filter.

I added an extra set of latches to improve the seal clamping force.

The Baja
Old 07-27-2009, 04:43 PM
BIGTACO
Instructor

Originally Posted by mowton
I performed the same steps with one extra. In step 4, I roughed up the housing lip which the filter surround sat on and used a silicon epoxy to seal and secure the filter to the housing. When it is time to clean the filter you spray the filter as usual from the larger intake side while it is still secured in the housing. Then when ready apply the stream of water (I use a hose nozzel on spray) from the small duct end and direct all around the filter. Pretty simple.....and effective.

Will squelch all the naysayers who say "stuff" gets by the Vararam filter and the foam filter is useless.

Thanks for the great pics

Ed M
I like the way you think! This way you have a much better seal, with no possibility of anything creeping around the filament edges. I think I am going to do the same to mine...
Old 07-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Munch
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Patches
I added an extra set of latches to improve the seal clamping force.
Where did you get the extra clamps? I've been wanting to do this as well.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:07 PM
Patches
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 587 Posts

I got them directly from Vararam. I did a detailed thread on the project a while back but it was lost in the forum server conversion.
Old 07-27-2009, 08:52 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Vararam sells the green filter for something like $60 and it fits the old housing just fine.

I got their kit but the new housing seemed to be to thick (front to back) at the filter opening and was jambing between the front bumper bar and the air duct for the rad. It just didn't want to drop down into the front of the car like the old one and then held the air bridge up off the top of the rad. On top of that, their new housing still had a very crappy gasket that did not seal to the filter. There were probably 1/8" gaps on each of the long sides between the filter and the housing. Honestly, it was just a waste of money.

So, I RTV'd the filter into the old housing. I j used a couple of little spring loaded clamps that held the filter in place while it dried. I'll just wash it in the housing when the time comes. No dirt will get by that seal.

They had all these new gaskets to make sure the filter sealed to the bottom half of the housing. It seemed really dumb - that's not the side where a leak will let dirt into the engine.

Peter

Last edited by lionelhutz; 07-27-2009 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 03:08 PM
YO-EL
Race Director

Received 868 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by Patches
Did the same mod years ago before switching to the Baja filter.

The Baja
where'd you get that Baja filter?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:27 AM
2 vettes in the barn
Heel & Toe

I need to get the K&N 33-2522 for my 11 year old Vararam.
My grey foam filter is starting to fall apart and get stuck on my MAF screen
Old 12-10-2012, 07:03 AM
2 vettes in the barn
Heel & Toe

I dont have the foam anymore. Mine fell apart. where can I get new foam for the mod.

Also do you have to use the K&N cleaner or can you use another solvent?

Get notified of new replies

To KN Filter mod for Vararam

Quick Reply: KN Filter mod for Vararam