C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinted roof delaminating?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Bluemill
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Tinted roof delaminating?

My 2000 coupe has a tinted plexi-glass roof. The car just passed 60,000 miles, and in the past year it's been parked in the sun a lot ( free parking, but no shade) at work.

On a sunny day now, if you look up, it looks like the plastic has thousands of little striations running from side to side, like little cracks, but this is embedded in the glass.

On the outside, passenger side, towards the rear weather stripping, the tinted layer of paint or plastic has started to fall off, but this is progressing in a longitudinal manner, or length wise. The "delamination" looks to be about 4.5 in. long and an inch and a half wide at the weatherstrip end, tapering down to a point.

I think I'm just plain screwed and tatooed, but maybe there is someone out there who has advice on at least how to stop this from getting any worse. Good wax? Regex? Armourall?

Help,

Bluemill
Old 07-29-2009, 10:58 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,297 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

That's pretty much "the nature of the beast". You can send it to Astro Tops and have it redone 0r there are some threads on here on how to fix it yourself. Do a search and read for days. www.astrotops.com
Old 07-30-2009, 12:17 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I sanded mine down and clear coated it. Was cheap and looks way better, even though there is some dirt in it now. A wet sanding and/or another coat of clear would help but I can't be bothered right now.

Peter
Old 07-30-2009, 02:27 AM
skydive120
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tried the same thing, sanded it down, clear coated it. Ended up with having it primed and painted-- very happy with it.
Old 07-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Blown427conv
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw on here where some people just wet sand and polish theirs without clear coating it with success. Mine looks the same so I read and remembered it for the future.

Get notified of new replies

To Tinted roof delaminating?

Quick Reply: Tinted roof delaminating?