C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer installed new thermastat, now coolant temp is 240+??

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 08:25 AM
2000^C5
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dealer installed new thermastat, now coolant temp is 240+??

Was in for service last week and dealer said I needed a new thermastat so I ordered a 160 degree one nad had them put it in yesterday.

Before my car's coolant temps have been normal, 190 or so in normal city driving.

Leaving the dealer after they put in the new thermastat, within a couple mins, the coolant temp goes to 240. I had to be somewhere so couldn't get back to dealer yesterday but will obviously call them today. What could cause this...ie, what the hell did the dealer do wrong in the install to mess up my coolant temps? I never, ever had a problem like this in the 10 years I had the car...
Old 08-12-2009, 08:31 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Sounds like its stuck closed or close to it.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:56 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000^C5
Was in for service last week and dealer said I needed a new thermastat so I ordered a 160 degree one nad had them put it in yesterday.

Before my car's coolant temps have been normal, 190 or so in normal city driving.

Leaving the dealer after they put in the new thermastat, within a couple mins, the coolant temp goes to 240. I had to be somewhere so couldn't get back to dealer yesterday but will obviously call them today. What could cause this...ie, what the hell did the dealer do wrong in the install to mess up my coolant temps? I never, ever had a problem like this in the 10 years I had the car...
Why did the dealer replace the thermostat if your car was running at 190 ?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:35 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Why did the dealer replace the thermostat if your car was running at 190 ?
and as to the car running to hot, sounds like there might be air trapped in the system. Also,, if they installed a 160 tstat, but did not reprogram the fans to come on earlier, it's a waste of time.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like they didnt "burp" it and you have air trapped in the system.They are also right about reprogramming your fans to come on earlier,but that isnt the cause of your over heating problem.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:18 PM
timemender
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000^C5

As they say “Par for the course” – another incompetent dealer story.

Without all the ensuing details I read “Car running normal temps – dealer determines “new thermostat needed” – temps way up after service.

Frigging dealers installing unneeded parts and causing more problems as a result.

Nothing has changed with these clowns - my last repair at a dealer was in the mid 1970's for this same type of incompetent BS.

I should tell you sometime how I really feel.

Old 08-12-2009, 02:14 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

A dealer wouldn't normally reprogram the fans for lower on/off settings with an oem thermostat installation. Actually, you could have accomplished good results by keeping the oem thermostat and reprogramming the fans for lower settings.

Did the dealer question your request for a 160 degree thermostat? Did you request the fans to be reprogrammed? Did you know that a 160 degree thermostat needed reprogramming? Did the dealer tech even realize you provided a 160 degree thermostat?

Personal feelings about dealers aside, don't expect a dealer to know what's required when you deviate from the oem parts.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 08-12-2009 at 02:19 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:01 PM
Point & Shoot
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

switch back to a stock OEM tstat from GM and your troubles will be gone........
Old 08-12-2009, 09:15 PM
SUNNYD 95
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car was running around 190 like you said, why would they say it needs a stat?
You know what they say "if its not broke don't fix it"
But when you go to the stealer they say "if its not broke, fix it till it is"
I stay out of those places, you'll end up with more trouble then its worth.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:45 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SUNNYD 95
If the car was running around 190 like you said, why would they say it needs a stat?
You know what they say "if its not broke don't fix it"
But when you go to the stealer they say "if its not broke, fix it till it is"
I stay out of those places, you'll end up with more trouble then its worth.
My ABSOLUTE last choice for ANY type of work after warranty is out!! Wife took her 03 DD in for a door latch recall,,They GAVE her a free inspection while there!! came out with a $1,200 estimate for "needed" services and repairs!! About $800 for two seals "that MIGHT be leaking"!! $80 for power steering flush! And $120 to drain and fill the 5speed on a Ford Focus!!! I'll do the fluids myself,,and if necessary shoot some brake cleaner to clean off the oil they squirted up there for "the leaky seals"!She parks in the same place EVERYDAY,,and not a spot under the car. I have my owne 4post lift,,and I'll check it myself!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer installed new thermastat, now coolant temp is 240+??

Quick Reply: Dealer installed new thermastat, now coolant temp is 240+??