C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam install, Am I missing something ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Z06Frank
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam install, Am I missing something ?

I am installing a TSP MS4, FAST 90\90 and probably new injectors. In my 02 Z06 shortly. This is what I have so far for gaskets and stuff.

head gaskets
exhaust manifold gaskets
timing chain cover gasket
ARP crank bolt

Any thing missing ? I know I need a couple more gaskets their. I hear allot of people install the LS2 timing chain is this a good idea ? What about the oil pump ?

Thanks !
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Unless I'm missing something....you don't need head gaskets, and you don't need exhaust manifold gaskets (for a cam install). Are you changing heads too?

Your stock oil pump is fine. You will need a new pickup tube O-ring if you replace the timing chain (because the oil pump will have to be removed to swap the chain).
Definitely do the LS2 timing chain at bare minimum, Katech chain a bit better.
You will need a new front crank seal.
You will need (2) water pump gaskets.
You should strongly consider a new harmonic balancer....underdrive or stock size, no matter. The OE one is a POS.

You mentioned nothing about valve springs, but you'll definitely need a sturdy dual spring kit for that hi-lift cam.

You will also want better/stiffer pushrods. Ideally, buy an adjustable pushrod and measure to see what length you need after assembly, then order the correct length.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:00 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

You did not mention anything about changing heads,Why would you need head gaskets? Or I'm I missing something
Old 08-13-2009, 07:02 PM
DRIVER456
Melting Slicks

Location: NY- 2013 Corvette Challenge Champion-2013 Index Combo Champion 2015 CC/MM Champion
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Unless I'm missing something....you don't need head gaskets, and you don't need exhaust manifold gaskets (for a cam install). Are you changing heads too?

Your stock oil pump is fine. You will need a new pickup tube O-ring if you replace the timing chain (because the oil pump will have to be removed to swap the chain).
You should strongly consider a new harmonic balancer....underdrive or stock size, no matter. The OE one is a POS.

You mentioned nothing about valve springs, but you'll definitely need a sturdy dual spring kit for that hi-lift cam.

You will also want better/stiffer pushrods. Ideally, buy an adjustable pushrod and measure to see what length you need after assembly, then order the correct length.

Haa we had the same thought and posted almost the same time
Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 PM
Z06Frank
Racer

Yea forgot to mention I might get my heads ported that's the reason behind those gaskets. I got new springs & push rods from TSP so i am good there. For balancer something like a powerbond ?
Old 08-13-2009, 07:13 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I've been running a Powerbond for the past 3 years. Was quite impressed with the quality of it out of the box, and it is still spinning true today. Very nice piece, well worth the $$.

Mine is a 25% underdrive, but I believe they also make one in stock diameter too. Either flavor, a substantial improvement over the stock pulley.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:20 AM
Z06Frank
Racer

Will the stock fuel pump be good enought even if I change the injectors ? To Fast 36's or SVO 42's
Old 08-14-2009, 08:38 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

I know it's not a popular suggestion.....but I'll add a service manual to the list....
Old 08-14-2009, 08:42 AM
Daddyrama31
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me

Old 08-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by FrankyG
Yea forgot to mention I might get my heads ported that's the reason behind those gaskets. I got new springs & push rods from TSP so i am good there. For balancer something like a powerbond ?
You will also then need a new set of head bolts. (or for an upgrade, an ARP head stud kit).

And since the heads will be off, it would be the ideal time to drop in a fresh set of lifters and guides.

Old 08-14-2009, 04:56 PM
vodas00ss
Instructor

Just throwing this out there...if you pull the heads be sure to take the time to clean the deck completely, it sucks and your back will hurt afterwards but its the only way to do it right, and blow the coolant out of the bolt holes. Use something that wont gouge chunks out of your aluminum block.

Get notified of new replies

To Cam install, Am I missing something ?

Quick Reply: Cam install, Am I missing something ?