C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Seat Trouble? Look here for FIX!

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 07:58 PM
captkirk9195
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I was doing the Washer mod to the seat track today for the first time, and it seemed to go smoothly.

I put it all back together. Hook it up, and start moving the seat back with the controls. The seat moves a few inches back, then won't go back any further. All movement works correctly other than it won't go back more than a few inches. So basically, a 7 yr old could sit in the seat, but that's about it.

I'm wondering if how tight I have the washers in, is causing the issue (one side is a slight interference fit). I plan to pull it all back apart tomorrow and start there, just figured I'd see if anyone else had that one happen when resolving the seat problem.

Oh.. I should have take pictures of it. There was truely nothing left of the originals on one side, on a car with only 51K on it.

TIA
Jason
Old 02-28-2010, 02:14 PM
ernest2449
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Courtney Yartz
My 98 C-5 seat slides forward less than an inch when I brake, then slides back once I stop, local service writer at the dealership wasn't familiar w/ the problem. courtyartz@yahoo.com
I have THIS EXACT same problem for both of my seats. If you happen to find out a solution to this PLEASE give me a shout.

Thanks!

Ernest
Old 02-28-2010, 05:31 PM
captkirk9195
8th Gear

OK I solved the problem. I didn't trim one of the washers close enough so it was hanging the whole setup on the first rivet when I tried to slide it back.

Ernest the solution to your problem is probably the factory rubber inserts worn out in the seat track mechanism that's what I was just fixing in mine.

Here's the link I used for instructions.
http://www.lieblweb.com/c5seatfix.html

HTH
Jason
Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM
don37
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by xboxexpert
i'm sorry i do not have any part numbers, i'm sure on the actual relay's there are numbers you can google?
nec
ep2-3n1s
Old 03-03-2010, 04:40 PM
nv_lao93
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by ernest2449
I have THIS EXACT same problem for both of my seats. If you happen to find out a solution to this PLEASE give me a shout.

Thanks!

Ernest
Same problem here!
I'm wondering if there's a way to fix this WITHOUT having to take the seats out.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:58 PM
don37
Racer

Originally Posted by captkirk9195
OK I solved the problem. I didn't trim one of the washers close enough so it was hanging the whole setup on the first rivet when I tried to slide it back.

Ernest the solution to your problem is probably the factory rubber inserts worn out in the seat track mechanism that's what I was just fixing in mine.

Here's the link I used for instructions.
http://www.lieblweb.com/c5seatfix.html

HTH
Jason
http://store.tkoperformance.com/c5seshkitpsl.html
Old 04-03-2010, 06:37 PM
CaptWSims
Heel & Toe

Awesome write-up and pics! Just what I was looking for...got home yesterday with a low mileage 2001 Z06 that's going to become my autocross car, and its only flaw is the driver's seat moving forward about 1/2 inch during hard braking. That HAS to be fixed before first autocross with it on April 11th.

Now I know how to do it! Thanks guys.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:46 PM
xboxexpert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptWSims
Awesome write-up and pics! Just what I was looking for...got home yesterday with a low mileage 2001 Z06 that's going to become my autocross car, and its only flaw is the driver's seat moving forward about 1/2 inch during hard braking. That HAS to be fixed before first autocross with it on April 11th.

Now I know how to do it! Thanks guys.
Hopefully it works out for you let me know the outcome.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:42 PM
don37
Racer

Originally Posted by don37
nec
ep2-3n1s
just installed the two relays - seat works much better!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:07 PM
CaptWSims
Heel & Toe

I did my seat last night, but deviated a bit from the write-up. Instead of using 1/8 inch thick nylon washers I used 1/16 inch, plus thin Mylar washers to shim up the block. Took 1 nylon washer and 2 Mylar washers on 1 side, and 1 nylon washer and 3 Mylar washers on other side of block.

Seat works great and no longer has the "slop".
Old 04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
speedyhawk101
Burning Brakes

I'm going to have to try this out. Thanks to all that posted links and good info.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:30 AM
jammy21
4th Gear

Hi, I don't have the exact same problem but I do have a small amount of slack in both seats, but my seat's doesn't remain stationary for long time. They move 1 inch in front or back. I have visited many sites and now I have got this technique, I will use it definitely.
Thanks for sharing!!
Auto Monitor
Old 04-10-2010, 10:31 AM
rcpotts45
2nd Gear

I have an 02 C5 and the drivers seat seems to lean back on the l side, I was wonderimg do these break very often or can it be ajusted? I'm new to this C5 stuff..
Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 AM
sandiegan
Heel & Toe

I just fixed my seat, and everything is now as it should be... Except now the power seat button makes the seat go in the opposite direction than it should be (forward yields back, back yields forward). This doesn't make sense to me, given that the parts removed, fixed, and replaced were mechanical. The wire is hooked up to the harness properly. What gives?
Old 05-28-2010, 12:15 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

I keep blowing the fuse for SCM1. I replace it and it works for a while then it will blow again. Any thoughts??
Old 08-06-2010, 07:13 PM
vetter96
1st Gear

Originally Posted by cepter
my 98 c5 driver's seat only moves frontward / backward when no weight is on it.. so.. I have to lift my *** off the seat.. then adjust it.. then sit back down.. is this the same problem?

thanks
Did you ever find the fix for this problem. My 2005 is doing the exact same thing.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:53 PM
Fastguy
Team Owner

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'05

I did the same thing a few years ago. Pulled both seats apart and spent some quality time with the soldering iron. The RH seat actually had corrosion form the targa occasionally dripping on it and I had to clean and re-solder a few things.

Get notified of new replies

To Power Seat Trouble? Look here for FIX!

Old 08-07-2010, 05:35 PM
wascapsfan
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine while I had the seats out installing the seat heaters. The repair is greasy but can be completed in a couple of hours. The kit would have probably been easier but I like a super snug fit. I removed the long corkscrew (it's probably 18-20" long) and removed the
knuckle only to find that there is a senseless U shaped gasket/grommet type of thingy that the corkscrew goes through and the hole was becoming oblong. The gasket thickness was still in pretty good shape but I wasn't going through that nightmare without a complete fix. I had a plastic clipboard sitting there asking me to cut it up and the thickness was almost perfect for me to make 2 square washers. I drilled the hole just a tad bigger than the corkscrew and slightly thinned out the washers on a grinder and when I was done - I had to nearly force them into the spaces around the knuckle. Reinstalled the seats and not a mm of slop. problem solved.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 AM
trmracing
4th Gear

Default Bolster Pump / Pass Seat Track

I recently purchased a 99 coupe with sport seats. I knew when I bought it that the pass side power seat did not work and that the bolsters did not work.
Going through the trobule guide I found when I installed circuit breaker to RH seat that one of the motors seemed to be trying to run all the time, the seat seemed to be jittery? Further investigation should that the bolster pump had been disconnected - the power lead had been tied back. Power test with jumper proved the motor to be good, I connected the postive lead and the pump runs all the time. When I push the lumbar switch the pump will stop, switch in nuetral pump runs.
The evidence seems to suggest that the control switch panel is the common link and possble problem.
Anyone seen this problem before.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:16 PM
JMWarren
Advanced

Originally Posted by vetter96
Did you ever find the fix for this problem. My 2005 is doing the exact same thing.
It's likely the threaded rods the seat runs on are swapped left to right.

Quick Reply: Power Seat Trouble? Look here for FIX!