C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Seat Trouble? Look here for FIX!

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 10:00 PM
xboxexpert
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Power Seat Trouble? Look here for FIX!

Pin this because this is soo damn useful its ridiculous how easy this was.

So my situation since I got the car was I would have to bounce my *** up and down while holding the seat control back to get the seat to go backward. I removed the seat and under there is a control box with a Green Black and Red connector. Disconnect it and the control box has two latch's that allow you to open it fully and expose the top and bottom board of the control box. At this point you can either remove the entire board or work on it while its in the plastic. Remove it and save your self the hassle and smell of burning plastic for those of you that suck at soldering Apply some solder to the RED points below this will make certain that the three relays have good connection to the circuit board and WILL fix the problem of a electric seat not moving when you are clearly pushing the control and its not doing anything. ENJOY

Name:  DSC02826.jpg
Views: 7608
Size:  99.1 KB

Name:  DSC02830.jpg
Views: 7238
Size:  132.7 KB

Last edited by xboxexpert; 08-19-2009 at 10:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by xboxexpert:
ArmchairArchitect (05-14-2019), jweezy (03-01-2022)
Old 10-25-2009, 04:09 PM
gdelong
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default need a conector for the black plug

help. took my SCM out tonight for a fix you suggest, and the connector on the orange wire in the black plug is broken. does anone know where I can get a new metal connector for this wire??
thanks
Old 11-16-2009, 10:12 AM
Luke-Warm C-5
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose seat

Sounds like I dont have the exact same problem but I do have a small amount of slack in both seats. They both slide forward and backward about 1 inch and wont remain stationary.

Any suggestions?

LW C-5
Old 11-18-2009, 04:36 PM
Courtney Yartz
Navigator

My 98 C-5 seat slides forward less than an inch when I brake, then slides back once I stop, local service writer at the dealership wasn't familiar w/ the problem. courtyartz@yahoo.com
Old 11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
cepter
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

my 98 c5 driver's seat only moves frontward / backward when no weight is on it.. so.. I have to lift my *** off the seat.. then adjust it.. then sit back down.. is this the same problem?

thanks
Old 11-20-2009, 02:42 PM
xboxexpert
Racer

Originally Posted by Courtney Yartz
My 98 C-5 seat slides forward less than an inch when I brake, then slides back once I stop, local service writer at the dealership wasn't familiar w/ the problem. courtyartz@yahoo.com
http://store.tkoperformance.com/c5seshkitpsl.html

Grab those it will fix your problem completely. It took me about an hour to do one seat carefully.
Old 11-20-2009, 02:43 PM
xboxexpert
Racer

Originally Posted by cepter
my 98 c5 driver's seat only moves frontward / backward when no weight is on it.. so.. I have to lift my *** off the seat.. then adjust it.. then sit back down.. is this the same problem?

thanks
It might, could never hurt.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Bluemill
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Rocking and sliding, 2 different issues.

I have worked very hard on both of these issues, and I would say that the sliding issue can only be fixed if you go deep inside the tracks themselves. I guy name Ken Robb did a super how-to with step by step pictures etc. about 5-6 years ago. I agreed with most of his procedure, but found that you didn't have to split apart the top and bottom actual sliding tracks, with ball bearings going everywhere etc.

I would go into the archives of this forum to find this fix... this is the sliding seat problem caused as a result of a rubber bushing inside the seat tracks wearing out. I think it's under K. V. Robb, and it's way back in the Corvette Forum archives.

The other issue is the whole seat rocking, like a rocking chair, especially when you boot your car, which let's face it, IS one of the main reasons you bought that car in the first place. Bottom line on this one is the foundation "guts" of the seat angle adjustment is aluminum, with the pivot points of hardened steel SPLINED bolts, that are anchored only on one side. Because they are splined and not threaded they loosen just by you planting your butt in the seat. I'm sorry for the guy above because he's been pounding his seats to make them go backward, but also probably ruining the infrastructure. Lear did a SUCKY job on this design. I was able to get a new seat track from Dino's Corvette Salvage of Picyune, Mississippi, about 4 years ago. They came from some factory that was making Corvette office chairs out of the real thing, and GM would only sell the whole assembly to him.
They didn't need the tracks, so they are brand new. Mine was a little rusty from storage, but the grease hadn't ever spread down the track rods because they had never been used.

It took me about an afternoon to do, but I was able to swap the tracks out with the above salvage parts. GM wanted $650 for the same parts.
Oh, important, you can swap all of the electronics from your memory seat to a non-memory seat frame to save at least $200 or so.

This is a big flaw with C-5's. I HIGHLY recommend that you are very careful how you lower yourself down into your seats!

My car had only 15000 miles on it when I got it, and the seats rocked about a half an inch. I just couldn't stand it. The track replacement did work, but I don't know how many salvage tracks are left out there.

Good luck,

Bluemill
Old 12-21-2009, 08:22 PM
torkman15
Racer

Fixed my rocking seats today! The things seemed to move a mile fore and aft when running a roadcourse. I had a Mustang guy riding with me the first time out and he noticed the seat moving right away, how embarrassing. It was very easy. The only hard part was sanding the nylon washers to .110 for a perfect fit. Took about two and a half hours not counting time to take the seats out.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
tonylukes3
Racer

Sorry to hijack this thread slightly, but I have a problem that's related to the seats and maybe someone might know a fix. When I occassionally lean forward and then lean back with some pressure, the right side of the driver seat back kind of "pops" backward and feels loose (almost like I broke it!). I didn't think I put much pressure to do any damage, and after pulling forward slightly and adjusting the seat position it seems to be ok for a while. Any thoughts?
Old 01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Awesome - Thank you!

Thanks,Matt
Old 01-06-2010, 02:27 PM
1badf350
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different problem here.
My drivers seat will all of a sudden lower itself and push itself all the way forward while I'm driving. Then the adjustment buttons become inoperable for a minute or two. This is extremely scary when I'm driving on the capital beltway in traffic a 75mph.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by tonylukes3
Sorry to hijack this thread slightly, but I have a problem that's related to the seats and maybe someone might know a fix. When I occassionally lean forward and then lean back with some pressure, the right side of the driver seat back kind of "pops" backward and feels loose (almost like I broke it!). I didn't think I put much pressure to do any damage, and after pulling forward slightly and adjusting the seat position it seems to be ok for a while. Any thoughts?
I had the same problem on my old C5 seats (I have C6 now).

There are two friction type adjusters under the seat. One on the right and one on the left. They are both controlled or actuated by your seat-recline lever via small steel cables that run to each side. When you pull up on the lever, one of the cables pull on each side to temporarily allow a "sleeve" to slide and when you release the lever, the sleeve "locks" in the position it is in when you released the lever. It relies solely on friction to "grip" the tube the sleeve slides on.

The only way to repair this is to pull the seat and order/buy a new seatback adjuster mechanism for the right side of the seat (called "inner" as it's closest to the inside of the car). It's called "Drivers Seat recliner (inner)" 10272506 Tip: Do NOT allow lubricant of any kind to get in the shaft of this device as it relies on a friction grip (metal on metal) to operate properly. It is not terribly expensive but does involve seat removal, etc and a good upholstery shop should be able to do this in an hour or so if you don't want to tackle it yourself.

HTH
Old 01-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Damn EXCELLENT POST with lots of very cool info! Well done BROVO ZULU! (Thats Navy for great JOB! )
Old 01-10-2010, 07:18 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Great post, Thanks for sharing the knowledge!
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 AM
tonylukes3
Racer

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
I had the same problem on my old C5 seats (I have C6 now).

There are two friction type adjusters under the seat. One on the right and one on the left. They are both controlled or actuated by your seat-recline lever via small steel cables that run to each side. When you pull up on the lever, one of the cables pull on each side to temporarily allow a "sleeve" to slide and when you release the lever, the sleeve "locks" in the position it is in when you released the lever. It relies solely on friction to "grip" the tube the sleeve slides on.

The only way to repair this is to pull the seat and order/buy a new seatback adjuster mechanism for the right side of the seat (called "inner" as it's closest to the inside of the car). It's called "Drivers Seat recliner (inner)" 10272506 Tip: Do NOT allow lubricant of any kind to get in the shaft of this device as it relies on a friction grip (metal on metal) to operate properly. It is not terribly expensive but does involve seat removal, etc and a good upholstery shop should be able to do this in an hour or so if you don't want to tackle it yourself.

HTH
Awesome, thanks so much for the help! I think I'll try doing this myself this weekend after it warms up a bit.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:17 AM
deadcafe
Burning Brakes

Here is an issue that my car just started doing. My power seats move way to slow. I was kneeling on the drivers seat in the center when I felt it dent in like when you lean on a metal quarter panel and it dents in for a second. Do you think I am rubbing or did I do some unknown damage?

Get notified of new replies

To Power Seat Trouble? Look here for FIX!

Old 02-17-2010, 09:11 AM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

1bad350,
It sounds like your ignition switch is bad, causing the body control module to think you turned off the key, and the auto seat is putting the seat in the "at rest" position.
You might just check the power under the right floor toeboard and wiggle the key in the "on" position..
Old 02-21-2010, 09:57 PM
don37
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by xboxexpert
Pin this because this is soo damn useful its ridiculous how easy this was.

So my situation since I got the car was I would have to bounce my *** up and down while holding the seat control back to get the seat to go backward. I removed the seat and under there is a control box with a Green Black and Red connector. Disconnect it and the control box has two latch's that allow you to open it fully and expose the top and bottom board of the control box. At this point you can either remove the entire board or work on it while its in the plastic. Remove it and save your self the hassle and smell of burning plastic for those of you that suck at soldering Apply some solder to the RED points below this will make certain that the three relays have good connection to the circuit board and WILL fix the problem of a electric seat not moving when you are clearly pushing the control and its not doing anything. ENJOY

does anyone know what the part numbers are for the C5 electric seat relays?
Don
Old 02-21-2010, 10:48 PM
xboxexpert
Racer

I'm sorry I do not have any part numbers, I'm sure on the actual relay's there are numbers you can google?

Quick Reply: Power Seat Trouble? Look here for FIX!