C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking clutch after changing fluid in clutch reservoir!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 10:42 PM
01vetter
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 21 Posts

Default No more fluid changes for me!

Originally Posted by Ranger
Suggest you change the fluid in the reservoir each time you drive the car. Do that three or four times and I suspect the squeak will disappear.

Prestone DOT4 has been run in many C5s. Should work in yours too.

Anyone going with GM brand needs the "Super DOT4 Brake and Clutch fluid PN 88958860." It's 5X the price of Prestone DOT4 and performs about the same.

Ranger
I can't bring myself to change the fluid again! The change is what made the master cylinder squeak. I sucked that out and put some GM fluid in and it is still squeaking. Since the initial fluid change made it squeak, why do you think changing it again will eliminate the squeak? Clearly there was something in the original fluid that lubricated the seals that isn't in the new stuff.

I will cross my fingers and hope that the squeak goes away.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:28 PM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 01vetter
I can't bring myself to change the fluid again! The change is what made the master cylinder squeak. I sucked that out and put some GM fluid in and it is still squeaking. Since the initial fluid change made it squeak, why do you think changing it again will eliminate the squeak? Clearly there was something in the original fluid that lubricated the seals that isn't in the new stuff.

I will cross my fingers and hope that the squeak goes away.
My basis for indicating that the squeak will disappear is eight years of prescribing this protocol on various CF boards and tracking the results owners have had.

Thousands of Corvette owners are using Prestone DOT4 and a very small percentage of them ever get a squeak. About the same as get a squeak using GM-brand fluid. All of the squeaks that have been reported have disappeared with additional swaps and driving. One example from yesterday....

Originally Posted by Fort Rucker
Just did this today. Thanks Ranger! By the way, my fluid was black with only 800 miles on the car... I used prestone DOT4.

Edit: Now I have a squeak every time the pedal is depressed. I just ordered the GM fluid (part# 88958860). Hopefully the squeak will go away
Update, squeak stopped after a short drive around the block. All is good!
You stated in another thread that the GM Super DOT4 is back-ordered.

So for clarity sake, Prestone DOT4 is still in your hydraulics?

Ranger
Yes. I ordered the GM brand but have not received it yet. I am using prestone DOT4 and the squeak went away the first time I drove the car. Thanks Ranger for this thread, very good info.
01vetter, please keep in mind the usual outcome of failing to maintain the clutch fluid is a failure of the seals in the master cylinder. Hopefully you have intervened with fluid changes before that fate befell yours.

So again, my suggestion is to keep swapping the fluid between drives until the fluid remains clear post-drive. Along the way, the squeak will disappear.

Ranger

Last edited by Ranger; 09-09-2009 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 05:53 AM
Atok
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I changed my fluid to Prestone DOT 4 and have no squeaks. Although, I still have the "pedal stuck to floor" issue many of us face. I didn't use Ranger's method, I completely drained and flushed the clutch system the filled with DOT4 when I installed my remote bleeder. It's crystal clear and feels normal under normal driving. I believe the sticking pedal is a pressure plate design issue once the clutch gets worn.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:14 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Atok
I changed my fluid to Prestone DOT 4 and have no squeaks. Although, I still have the "pedal stuck to floor" issue many of us face. I didn't use Ranger's method, I completely drained and flushed the clutch system the filled with DOT4 when I installed my remote bleeder. It's crystal clear and feels normal under normal driving. I believe the sticking pedal is a pressure plate design issue once the clutch gets worn.
Couple questions.

(1) How many miles and hard launches are on that clutch?

(2) Where is the clutch engagement point. Normally, it would be in the middle-third of pedal travel.

If your pedal is sticking with a stock motor and newly clean clutch fluid, the next steps are

(1) Verify you have not introduced air into the hydraulics when you bled it. The correct bleed procedure using a remote is at the end of post #1 here.

(2) Only then, replace just the master cylinder. It's the usual source of trouble if the corrupt fluid has been run for an extended period.

Ranger
Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 PM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

Ranger:

I have a '96 LT4 with the ZF 6 speed. Will using Prestone DOT 4 be a good choice for my clutch ?

thanks,

Trebor
Old 10-06-2009, 08:01 AM
Ranger
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Trebor
Ranger:

I have a '96 LT4 with the ZF 6 speed. Will using Prestone DOT 4 be a good choice for my clutch ?

thanks,

Trebor
In 2007 GM published guidance that brake fluid used in the clutch hydraulics should be upgraded to DOT4 from the DOT3 specified for pre-C6 Corvettes. DOT4 had always been the spec for C6s.

So it's DOT4 for your LT4 clutch. And Prestone's DOT4 has worked for many Corvette owners, including me. It's not expensive and is widely available.

Ranger
Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
Trebor
Drifting

Received 256 Likes on 157 Posts

In 2007 GM published guidance that brake fluid used in the clutch hydraulics should be upgraded to DOT4 from the DOT3 specified for pre-C6 Corvettes. DOT4 had always been the spec for C6s.

So it's DOT4 for your LT4 clutch. And Prestone's DOT4 has worked for many Corvette owners, including me. It's not expensive and is widely available.

Ranger
Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:13 PM
Time for a C-5
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 179 Posts

Ok old thread but same problem so I thought I'd bring it back to life. I just flushed my fluid with Dot 4 Synthetic Lucas. It was pretty dark at first. Flushed it 4 or 5 times to get it clear. At first start up it started squealing. I drove it a few miles and got quieter. I got on it in first and it got loud again. Seems to be quiet coating in neutral. I only put five miles or so on it before going home. Should I be worried, or just put some miles on it and be patient? Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Squeaking clutch after changing fluid in clutch reservoir!