C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Six speed shifter know rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:53 PM
7101vette
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Six speed shifter know rattle

Can someone tell me how to tighten the shifter **** on my 2001 Vert?
The previous owner changed the shifter to a B & M quick throw and now the shifter **** rattles. It's making me crazy...

Thanks,
Rattle crazy in Jacksonville, FL
Old 08-27-2009, 06:21 PM
0Corvettes of Dallas - Parts
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is doing the same!!!

What shift **** is it?

-Adam

Corvettes of Dallas
Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

What type of **** are you using?

A change of ***** might reduce the vibrations/noise, but no guarantees. Find a **** that threads on and/or has a jamb nut rather than uses a set screw (if yours does).

HURST ***** are heavy plastic with a brass insert and jamb nut. I've used a HURST **** on both the oem shifter and B&M "Sport" shifter w/o vibrations/noise. But, most don't like those two shifters because they're not firm enough like other after market shifters. And some don't care for the 2.25" size of the HURST ****. There are some smaller knockoff sizes in 2".

Many of the after market shifters have a tendency to vibrate and produce noise into the cabin. They're usually solid billet which offers more precise shifting at the expense of annoying vibrations. They're not rubber isolated like the oem or the B&M "Sport" shifter. You either have to accept it, jerry rig a solution or find another shifter.

The popular C6/Z06 shifter is oem rubber isolated. The B&M "Sport" is rubber isolated. I believe the (latest and greatest product) MGW shifter is also rubber isolated, but verify that with someone who has one or the manufacturer.

Otherwise, all of the billet construction shifters will more than likely have some degree of vibrations/noise.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Fastbird
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 813 Likes on 431 Posts
C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
2016 C5 of the Year Finalist
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
I Believe In The Beer Fairy

If it's the stock ****......check to see if the death pin is still in. If it is, remove it. Don't worry, the **** screws on also.

When I put in my hurst, it rattled like crazy. So I switched to an aluminum ball ****. Still got rattles, but it was greatly reduced. The aluminum gets hot though, so I put the stock **** back on and left the death pin out. To my surprise, it's absolutely silent now.

Food for thought.

Get notified of new replies

To Six speed shifter know rattle

Quick Reply: Six speed shifter know rattle