C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever have any problems with Yella Terra Rockers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 60 Posts

To the OP, what springs are you running?
Old 09-11-2009, 06:01 PM
KC2GIW
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Patriot Dual Coils
Old 09-11-2009, 06:56 PM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

dont run the scorpions. They are worse than YT and you WILL have repeated failures. The problem with the YT seems to be a material issue during the initial casting process of the blanks for the rocker. Most failures have been happening in the 3500-7000 miles, but there was one that had like 1200 miles.

I have been running my car fairly aggressively to see if mine will fail again. So far all good.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:10 PM
KC2GIW
Racer

Well today she called to tell me to send them all back - so thats-a what I'm doin. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again.

I was a little disappointed though - I thought I dropped a valve or something from the initial noise - I was getting ready to build a stroker. Lol.

I guess I won't truly know there's no other damage until I start the pig back up and make some noise.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

I wonder if theres a date these were made bad between... To the people who have had failures, when did you purchase yours?
Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 PM
KC2GIW
Racer

I bought mine from Mike in May I believe but he had them in stock...and he gets his stock from Mako...who has them shipped from AUS...sooo it's not like they were made the week before I got them. I don't even have the box...
Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KC2GIW
I bought mine from Mike in May I believe but he had them in stock...and he gets his stock from Mako...who has them shipped from AUS...sooo it's not like they were made the week before I got them. I don't even have the box...
Great Right around when I got mine...
Old 09-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I've been running my YT 1.8's since Feb 08. This is in a track car that sees about 20 days per year and several thousand miles to and from distant tracks. No problems, sounds like this was the bad batch syndrom.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:55 AM
KC2GIW
Racer

"Bad batch" is the catch all excuse for soemthing like this...I mean, how can you even tell what "batch" they're from? If I heard from a YT employee (not Mako) that there were materials issues (and an actual manufacture run date) then I'd be more apt to believe it - but until then, I'm starting to question the product. The only problem is - I can't seem to find a better alternative.

Consequently, by the way, my GTO had YT rockers (for L92 heads which have even more geometrical issues and odd stresses than these bad boys do) and has about 10k on them going strong so I haven't lost complete faith yet - I'm in limbo...
Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 AM
Z QQH 6
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by Mike94ZLT1
I wonder if theres a date these were made bad between... To the people who have had failures, when did you purchase yours?
I bought mine in June put on new PP, CNC heads with dual springs.
Bought from on line vendor TickPerformance. He buys from distributor and offered no help. Guess who I wont be buying from again and I wouldn't recommend.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by KC2GIW
"Bad batch" is the catch all excuse for soemthing like this...I mean, how can you even tell what "batch" they're from? If I heard from a YT employee (not Mako) that there were materials issues (and an actual manufacture run date) then I'd be more apt to believe it - but until then, I'm starting to question the product. The only problem is - I can't seem to find a better alternative.

Consequently, by the way, my GTO had YT rockers (for L92 heads which have even more geometrical issues and odd stresses than these bad boys do) and has about 10k on them going strong so I haven't lost complete faith yet - I'm in limbo...
Too many people have had them too long without issues. From what I understand, Yella Terra gets their billet from a US mill and machines them. I know guys who have 10's of thousands of miles on them problem free and there has been no design updates recently. Not sure what testing they do on the billets when received or if they depend on the mill to verify material. I know where I work we require material certifications.

It would be great is we could get someone from YT to weigh in on this. I think they have a great product and will take care of things once they realize the issues.

Last edited by vettenuts; 09-12-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 09:18 AM
sabastian458
Melting Slicks

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

In my thread on ls1gto, I had mentioned that on the Saturday after the failure, I had an engineer from Austraila call me. I think I mentioned it here too. He had told me that it could only be a material issue and that is why he wanted all of them back.

I bought mine in april 09. I think all the failures have been the 1.7 rockers. I have not heard of the 1.8's breaking, yet.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

I think I'm going to pull mine off and replace them with some comp modded stockers. God dammit.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

I think I'm going to pull mine off and replace them with some comp modded stockers. God dammit.
Mike,

Are yours the 1.7 or 1.8 ratio?
Old 09-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Eric D
Mike,

Are yours the 1.7 or 1.8 ratio?
1.7 YT's. I made a thread back in April about some issues I had with HS modded stock rockers here:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...mage-pics.html

While my car was apart I decided to replace the damaged HS rockers with these YT's due to their stellar reputation. Now I find that these, which it turns out I did purchase in April, are breaking WORSE than the HS rockers they replaced. I have not had a problem with my YT's to date, however I have a ridiculous amount of money tied up in my motor and I wouldn't be too happy if a rocker was to fail and damage it.

Eric, I just noticed you live pretty close to me! I'm in Northville.
Old 09-12-2009, 03:57 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zeevette
I wonder if it's still possible to get Crane Gold rockers. The company's out of business, but these are supposed to be the best.
They are not out of business; they were though. S&S Cycle owns them now and the website is finally back up and running. I bought a set of Crane Gold rockers 1.7:1 just about a month ago directly from them out of Daytona/Ormond Beach. Full warranty on them.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Mike94ZLT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YELLA TERRA
Hi Guys,

Our LS rockers have been selling for many years globally and it is rare and a surprise that some sets have failed.

We stand by our products and if anyone breaks an arm within 12 months or 10,000 miles of purchase the set will be replaced with a new SET and the old ones will need to be sent back to our Meridian MS office for thorough inspection and analysis.

With any broken rocker set we will require:

Date of Purchase
Who you purchased from
Cam spec
Type of Spring Rates
Installed spring pressure and expected open spring pressures (if known)

For people who question our quality ...fyi ...ALL The YT LS1 LS2 LS3 and L67 and LS7 rockers are all designed and made in Australia under strict quality ISO 9001 QA control.

Our products use full compliment Torrington needle roller bearings, All our aircraft grade alloy comes from the USA from the same material/ same mills that many of the top shaft race rocker manufacturers source from.

We have over the past three years have sold 000's of YT6645s and this is a vary rare instance.

Ive already spoken to a few of you guys on other forums and feel free to contact either our VP USA Doug Smith ( doug.smith@makogrp.com)or email me directly (jim@yellaterra.com.au) on any issues with our products.

Once again thank you for supporting Yella Terra and using our products.

Jim Petrakis
Yella Terra Australia

I do appreciate it, however I live in Michigan and I might drive my car 5 months out of the year at a maximum of 4,000 miles. This summer has been an exception with everything going on I *might* have 1500 miles on them. I purchased these rockers new in April before taking the car out of storage. It will be going back in to storage in the next month and a half, and by the time I take it out again your warranty will have expired. Given that mine were purchased and installed right around the same time that the other problematic rockers were installed/purchased, my confidence is shaken and I'm not sure I wish to continue running them.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone ever have any problems with Yella Terra Rockers?

Old 09-13-2009, 10:25 PM
KOZ
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Have all the problems been with the new ultralites? I've got a set of the old 6624's on my car and am hoping that they're not a concern.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:55 PM
KC2GIW
Racer

Originally Posted by YELLA TERRA
Hi Guys,

Our LS rockers have been selling for many years globally and it is rare and a surprise that some sets have failed.

We stand by our products and if anyone breaks an arm within 12 months or 10,000 miles of purchase the set will be replaced with a new SET and the old ones will need to be sent back to our Meridian MS office for thorough inspection and analysis.

With any broken rocker set we will require:

Date of Purchase
Who you purchased from
Cam spec
Type of Spring Rates
Installed spring pressure and expected open spring pressures (if known)

For people who question our quality ...fyi ...ALL The YT LS1 LS2 LS3 and L67 and LS7 rockers are all designed and made in Australia under strict quality ISO 9001 QA control.

Our products use full compliment Torrington needle roller bearings, All our aircraft grade alloy comes from the USA from the same material/ same mills that many of the top shaft race rocker manufacturers source from.

We have over the past three years have sold 000's of YT6645s and this is a vary rare instance.

Ive already spoken to a few of you guys on other forums and feel free to contact either our VP USA Doug Smith ( doug.smith@makogrp.com)or email me directly (jim@yellaterra.com.au) on any issues with our products.

Once again thank you for supporting Yella Terra and using our products.

Jim Petrakis
Yella Terra Australia

Well, Jim, that's great and all, and trust me I do apprecaite you posting in the thread, but they never asked me for the set back. They wanted to replace the broken pair. Furthermore, they never asked for milage or what cam was used.

I could see you wanting this information - it'd be great to have all that stuff on file - but the Mako folks never even inquired. I called them to see if they'd replace the entire set. They called me back in a day saying they would.

THey are in an 8" cube box on the way to MS as of yesterday. Hopefully this gets sorted out.

I will say this for your design...they may have broken, but the bearings stayed in tact and didn't spew rollers all over my valvetrain so that's pretty cool
Old 09-13-2009, 10:58 PM
KC2GIW
Racer

I do appreciate it, however I live in Michigan and I might drive my car 5 months out of the year at a maximum of 4,000 miles. This summer has been an exception with everything going on I *might* have 1500 miles on them. I purchased these rockers new in April before taking the car out of storage. It will be going back in to storage in the next month and a half, and by the time I take it out again your warranty will have expired. Given that mine were purchased and installed right around the same time that the other problematic rockers were installed/purchased, my confidence is shaken and I'm not sure I wish to continue running them.
Also, I"m in this guy's boat - I put about 6k miles on my car this year (I had the rockers installed mid-summer) and it kind of sucks when you spend the money for what you think is the "best of the best" and it breaks - especially when you put so few miles on the car to begin with.

I know i know - pay to play - I'm juuuust sayin...

Quick Reply: Anyone ever have any problems with Yella Terra Rockers?