C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electronic Brake Control Module & Brake Pressure Modulating Valve

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 01:48 AM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Default Electronic Brake Control Module & Brake Pressure Modulating Valve

I started receiving Service ABS and Active Handling on the console. It has been coming on....going away....and coming back on. Since just purchasing the C5 (2001), I wanted to make sure everything was okay so I took the car to the stealership. They inspected the system and found codes C1214 and C1218 and found a shorted pump motor circuit. In addition, they stated they took out the electronic brake control module and brake pressure modulating valve. Their estimate $4335.38

I told them to basically get lost and I would fix the problems myself. So I read the long sticky IMPORTANT ELECTRICAL INFORMATION and a couple other regarding this problem. Saturday I removed, cleaned and put CorrosionX on grounds G101, G102, G103, and G104. The grounds didn't look bad. No real corrosion, but still cleaned them up. After that I put everything back together and the Service ABS and Active Handling went away.

Washed the car on Sunday, started it and again got Service ABS and Active Handling.

Parked the car and looked at the codes and found the following:
TCS - C1214H
SCM - B2860H
RFA - U1000H and U1064H

First of all, no C1218 as stated by the dealer. Not even a history code! Anyone have any insight regarding this?

After work tomorrow I will remove the EBCM from the BPMV, look at the wiring harness, connections and reconnect. In addition, I will measure the resistance between each pump motor control circuit and the housing of the BPMV at the pump motor harness pigtail connector of the BPMV. Any other suggestions?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:21 AM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Go to www.absfixer.com. 1214 is the CLASSIC $2 relay inside croaking. If you have the correct year cat, he can repair it for $200 or less.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The 1214 DTC will most likely require the module to be repaired by one of the people who specialize in that service.

The other U series DTCs, could possibly be caused by a battery that has a poor charge or one thats failing (does NOT have the correct cold cranking amperage). Have the battery properly tested. If it cant produce 500 CCA, it could be part of the issue.

IF,,,the ignition switch is going bad (switch contacts inside get carboned up) it too could be part of the issue.

Check out this post and it will provide you fuses that you can read with a volt meter to make sure that the "HOT when On or ACC" powered fuses are getting adequate voltages. If the switch contacts are in poor condition you will see something less than battery voltage.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ch-repair.html

BC
Old 09-21-2009, 09:31 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
The 1214 DTC will most likely require the module to be repaired by one of the people who specialize in that service.

The other U series DTCs, could possibly be caused by a battery that has a poor charge or one thats failing (does NOT have the correct cold cranking amperage). Have the battery properly tested. If it cant produce 500 CCA, it could be part of the issue.

IF,,,the ignition switch is going bad (switch contacts inside get carboned up) it too could be part of the issue.

Check out this post and it will provide you fuses that you can read with a volt meter to make sure that the "HOT when On or ACC" powered fuses are getting adequate voltages. If the switch contacts are in poor condition you will see something less than battery voltage.

BC
BC - For some reason that link does not work. "Page not found"...
Old 09-21-2009, 09:42 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Just because C1218 doesn't show up now doesn't mean it didn't exist before. It is closely associated with C1214. If you look at the diagnostic for C1214 it can call out for the replacement of both the EBCM and the BPMV. That can happen if the EBCM relay fails due to the pump motor drawing too much current due to a partial short to ground. C1218 is just the voltage side of too much current being drawn.

You can repair the EBCM but the BPMV is not repairable and you may well need to replace it as well as repair the EBCM or you will be repairing the EBCM again. Make sure you verify the BPMV pump motor circuit is not shorted or partially shorted to ground.

Bill
Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

I agree!!!

Try this link:

I may have pasted it wrong the first time.

I checked it and it seemed to work for me. If it doesnt work, just do a search and use the search words
" C5 ignition switch repair "

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 09-21-2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Just because C1218 doesn't show up now doesn't mean it didn't exist before. It is closely associated with C1214. If you look at the diagnostic for C1214 it can call out for the replacement of both the EBCM and the BPMV. That can happen if the EBCM relay fails due to the pump motor drawing too much current due to a partial short to ground. C1218 is just the voltage side of too much current being drawn.

You can repair the EBCM but the BPMV is not repairable and you may well need to replace it as well as repair the EBCM or you will be repairing the EBCM again. Make sure you verify the BPMV pump motor circuit is not shorted or partially shorted to ground.

Bill
Bill - If at one time there was a partial short to ground, causing the pump motor to draw more current and failing the EBCM relay, shouldn't that happen again and show up in the history (codes)?
Old 09-24-2009, 12:51 AM
Gr8Wht
CF Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '10-'12

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic Brake Control Module & Brake Pressure Modulating Valve

Quick Reply: Electronic Brake Control Module & Brake Pressure Modulating Valve