C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats required to tune a mod'd C5? .. or where does mail order tunes for cammed cars?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 07:07 PM
tez_14_2000
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats required to tune a mod'd C5? .. or where does mail order tunes for cammed cars?

I am getting ready to buy a cam for my 2003 C5 z06 from englandgreen, but the car will need tuned and im in N.Ireland, i asked doug at ECS about a mail order tune if i posted him my ECU, but he said they dont do tunes for cammed cars.
are there any other good tuners out there who do GOOD mail order tunes?
Alternativly, i will have to find someone over here who can dyno tune the car, but i would imagin theres a certain soft ware and computer needed to do the tune on these cars, which noone over here will probably have, seeing as theres not any more of these cars in the province.
So, i can phone the various tuners and ask if they have the facilitys to do tune for me, but what facilitys do they need!?
Is there a particular type of computer or hardware they need, and a certain software to go with it?

Im unfortunatly the furthest thing from educated on this front...

HELP! lol

Terry.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:41 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

This may be an area you need to learn in your situation. Have to looked around the scan and tune section and the HP Tuners for EFI Live forums? Both of these companies make the software to tune the car and there a lot of knowledgeable people who can help. Personally, I think a mail order tune is going to be a best guess and you would be better off learning the software.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Find a local tuner in your area especially with a cam a mail order isn't just going to cut it. Yes you need a tuner who has the software ls1 edit, hp tuners etc etc.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:42 PM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

We typcially do not do mail order tunes but since you are so far away and if you know someone that has HPTuners I'm sure we can work something out for you. The posts here are correct, there really is no substitute for tuning a cam car other than putting it on the street to address the drivability.

We are not setup to tune a PCM that is sent to us. We may or may not do this, it is not in the immediate future. However, another avenue you can take is send your PCM to Charlie at RPM-Motors in California. He is an excellent tuner and can get you going. We will send one of our tunes to him and he can load it for you. The only issue you will run into will be if it needs tweaking, you would have to send it back. The easiest thing would be to find someone there.

Jason
Old 09-23-2009, 01:01 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Cajundude@EnglandGreen
We typcially do not do mail order tunes but since you are so far away and if you know someone that has HPTuners I'm sure we can work something out for you. The posts here are correct, there really is no substitute for tuning a cam car other than putting it on the street to address the drivability.

We are not setup to tune a PCM that is sent to us. We may or may not do this, it is not in the immediate future. However, another avenue you can take is send your PCM to Charlie at RPM-Motors in California. He is an excellent tuner and can get you going. We will send one of our tunes to him and he can load it for you. The only issue you will run into will be if it needs tweaking, you would have to send it back. The easiest thing would be to find someone there.

Jason
Listen to JASON! He is guiding you in the correct direction! Charlie is one of the BEST tuning guys in the USA.

If you can get him the specs of your cam and all the mods that you have, he will make it correct!

Bill
Old 09-23-2009, 04:32 AM
tez_14_2000
Advanced

Sounds like some top advice there lads.

Is charlei on the forum? or does anyone have an email for him?

And just to clarify (as ive never looked into how to tune etc...)
HPTuners is a programme?

Cheers guys.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:40 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

Yes. HP Tuners is the software as is EFI Live. Each has a web site and each has user forums.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Cajundude
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In 7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by tez_14_2000
Sounds like some top advice there lads.

Is charlei on the forum? or does anyone have an email for him?

And just to clarify (as ive never looked into how to tune etc...)
HPTuners is a programme?

Cheers guys.
Charlie Williams - Sales@RPM-Motors-Inc.com
Old 09-23-2009, 10:15 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Cajundude@EnglandGreen
However, another avenue you can take is send your PCM to Charlie at RPM-Motors in California. He is an excellent tuner and can get you going.
Probably the only tuner I know on this board that can tune anything remotely no matter what size cam you have. He will get you real close.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:53 PM
tez_14_2000
Advanced

Cheers jason,
Ive just emailed him there, REALLY hope he can help, as i MUCH rather have someone in the USA who knows these cars do the tune, even if it is via Mail....

Thansk again for the great advice guys... will let you know if charlie replys and how i get on.

Get notified of new replies

To whats required to tune a mod'd C5? .. or where does mail order tunes for cammed cars?

Quick Reply: whats required to tune a mod'd C5? .. or where does mail order tunes for cammed cars?