C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 C5 spare tire?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 02:54 PM
raymondh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 C5 spare tire?

Does anyone know if I can use a spare 18inch tire that I have (standard wagon wheel) on the front of the car (17 inch wagon wheels) in a pinch. Just wondering if the 18 inch will fit the front? Planning a road trip and would like to bring a spare tire since I'm not running run flats. Thanks.

I have both a spare 17 and 18 inch rim and would only like to bring one tire. Also, since the 17 is smaller, will the 17 fit on the back?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:58 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Also, keep in mind potential for damage to the rear axle if using an OD different than original spec...
Old 10-07-2009, 10:35 AM
bluvette79
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i run 18 in.all around so it will fit on the front. 245 on front and 265 on rear. to match stock tire diameter. i understand that a different tire diameter will cause abs problems but i have no idea what 2 different tire diameters will do on the front. just put towing on your insurance and let someone else worry about it. i can't imagine jacking up the vette on the road side. it is bad enough in the garage! i don't use run flats either.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by raymondh
Does anyone know if I can use a spare 18inch tire that I have (standard wagon wheel) on the front of the car (17 inch wagon wheels) in a pinch. Just wondering if the 18 inch will fit the front? Planning a road trip and would like to bring a spare tire since I'm not running run flats. Thanks.

I have both a spare 17 and 18 inch rim and would only like to bring one tire. Also, since the 17 is smaller, will the 17 fit on the back?
^^I would think that would not be a good idea. If you put the 18 in the front, the other side is still going to have a 17. I would guess the car will not like that too much. It will probably throw off the traction control, abs, and active handling systems. You probably won't like that.

I am guessiing you are running runflats which will allow you to go about 50 miles on a flat. Also, you probably have a tite pressure monitoring system (TPMS), which will let you know if you are losing air.
Old 10-07-2009, 12:19 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Independent1
^^I would think that would not be a good idea. If you put the 18 in the front, the other side is still going to have a 17. I would guess the car will not like that too much. It will probably throw off the traction control, abs, and active handling systems. You probably won't like that.

I am guessiing you are running runflats which will allow you to go about 50 miles on a flat. Also, you probably have a tite pressure monitoring system (TPMS), which will let you know if you are losing air.
From the OP's original post:

"Planning a road trip and would like to bring a spare tire since I'm not running run flats."
Old 10-07-2009, 04:39 PM
Dudeurgettnavette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lucky131969

"Planning a road trip and would like to bring a spare tire since I'm not running run flats."
Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
MG RED 99
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't forget to bring a couple of short pieces of wood like a 2x4 to drive the flat tire up on to so that you can get a jack under the car when the tire is flat especially if you are lowered. A racing style jack would work best. Bring the 18", at least then it matches the rear in overall height, won't cause any rear diff problems. fronts won't care as far as a differential goes. It might trip the Trac/Abs/Active handling, but if it gets you down the road who cares. Also most passenger car spare tires aren't the same height as the regular wheels and they seem to get by. Just make sure the rim doesn't contact the face of the brake caliper, by spinning it by hand first before you take off. I've never personally had to do this but I also carry one of my old rear wagon wheels on long trips, just in case. Fix a flat as a last resort, but probably will kill the TPMS sensor.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by lucky131969

^^Missed that:o Still not a good idea to run different size tires. Maybe best to get a repair a flat kit.

Get notified of new replies

To 99 C5 spare tire?

Quick Reply: 99 C5 spare tire?