C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (picts inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2002, 07:23 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Received 1,651 Likes on 825 Posts

Default HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (picts inside)

(I thought I'd post a message about installing a HUD into a 1997 Corvette. I just went through this process, and thought it might be helpful for others contemplating the same upgrade)

First, you will need a HUD projector, a HUD-enabled instrument cluster, and either a HUD dashpad or a bezel and a willingness to cut a hole in your existing dashpad. You can get these items from a 1999 or newer Corvette. It will be easiest if you purchase a HUD and Cluster as one unit, as you will then be sure to have the proper connecting cables. There are other articles that describe the dash removal process, so I won't duplicate that info here.

There is really no rewiring to do; it is all plug-and-play. Plug the HUD into the cluster, and the cluster plugs into the standard wiring harness, and that's it. Also, the HUD controls plug right into the cluster, so no additional wiring there either. Since you are using a newer cluster in a 1997, you may need to unplug the Airbag warning bulb from its socket, and plug it back into the 1997-position socket.

The hardest part of the install is drilling the three holes needed to mount the HUD projector, and cutting the hole in the dashpad. You will need a Dremel tool with a right-angle attachment to drill the HUD mounting holes, since the mounting points are close to the base of the windshield, and there isn't a lot of working room up there.

I used two rubber expansion nuts, size #10-32x5/8" from Home Depot for the front two mounting points, and a simple sheet metal screw and clip nut in the lower mount point (although a small nut and bolt would work here as well).

There are two holes to drill in the plastic molding up near the windshield base, and one to drill in a rib in the magnesium dash support. Mark the hole positions by placing the HUD projector in place, and use a felt tip marker to mark the hole positions.

In the forward two holes, start with a small drill bit in the Dremel/right-angle tool, and then use a cone-shaped grinding bit to enlarge the holes just enough to accept the rubber expanding nuts. Be careful, the plastic material is soft and enlarges very easily. If you make the holes too big, the rubber expanding nuts won't work.

Insert the expansion nuts into the two forward holes, drop the HUD projector into place, and fasten. You will probably need a right-angle screwdriver to tighten the forward two screws, since it is close to the windshield base, and there isn't a lot of vertical work space. Install the new instrument cluster, and plug the HUD cable into the top of the cluster.

Install the dashpad with the HUD hole and bezel (or cut your existing pad and fit with a bezel), reinstall the remaining dash parts, and you're finished. Obviously, my 1997 didn't have the special HUD windshield, but I thought the display was very readable anyway.

The interesting part was that even back in 1997, they seem to have designed the Corvette for the HUD. It fits like it was made to go there, and the dashpad has indentations where the hole needs to be cut for the display.

Good luck!
Kent

(PS> The only step I didn't go over is synching the odo on the new cluster to your existing mileage, but that's an issue anytime you change out the instrument cluster in any vehicle. I didn't go that far in the process, but some have said that the dealer can do it, while others have said that the cluster has to be sent in. Sounds solvable either way.)

[Modified by Kent1999, 11:32 PM 3/7/2002]
Old 02-25-2002, 07:32 PM
C5Noir
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (Kent1999)

Wow. Excellent write up! The coolest thing are those expanding screws! :D I need to pick up some of those for random things. HUD is great!
Old 02-25-2002, 08:02 PM
Vetts Forever
Burning Brakes

Kent,

Thanks for the great info and photos! Your installation is definitely very :cool: . :yesnod:
Old 02-25-2002, 08:11 PM
wstory1
Race Director

Did you replace the windshield? If not, how does the HUD look on the standard windshield? Looks like a heck of a job. :cheers:
Old 02-25-2002, 08:40 PM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (wstory1)

He mentioned he used the non hud glass and it looked fine.

Thanks for writeup, it was very well done and something I will save for my attempt!

George
Old 02-25-2002, 08:51 PM
RPOZ4Z
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (Speed-Racer)

excellent write up!:cool:
you should put this in the tech tip section of the forum.

this is definately a mod that I will be doing SOON! :D
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Old 02-25-2002, 11:41 PM
C5Rated
Instructor

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (RPOZ4Z)

Would love to have this option in my 98 but would definetly need a expert to do the install. Hmmmm, you may have something here with all the people who don't have HUD. What would you guestimate as total cost and estimated hours of labor?
Old 02-26-2002, 12:29 AM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (C5Rated)

Would love to have this option in my 98 but would definetly need a expert to do the install. Hmmmm, you may have something here with all the people who don't have HUD. What would you guestimate as total cost and estimated hours of labor?
Well, brand new, the HUD projector goes for about $700-$800, the switch for about $100, and the cluster is unknown (because I don't think GM sells the cluster new), but it would have to be at least $700 as well. So for new parts alone, I'm thinking about $1500. And that's assuming you want to cut a hole in your existing pad. If you want a new pre-cut HUD-style dash pad, add another $600 to the cost of parts.

As far as used HUD/cluster combos go, I've seen most go for between $550 and $750 dollars, but every great once in a while you see one go for less, but those kind of deals are way outside the norm in my experience. No matter the price, used combos are fairly rare -- I've only seen about 4 or 5 combos on the market since last summer.

Hours of labor??? Well, it took me considerably longer the first time since I was figuring out things as I went, but now that I've done it, if I had to do it again, I could probably do it in about 6 hours:
*1.5 hours to pull the interior apart,
*3 hours to modify the structure to receive the HUD, disassemble/reassemble the cluster (to change the airbag bulb), and mount the equipment,
*1.5 hours to reassemble the interior.

The first time I did it, it was mostly for the mechanical challenge, but I'd be comfortable doing it again now that I know the method and have already figured out the solutions (WILL WORK FOR MODS!) :yesnod:

Cheers,
Kent

[Modified by Kent1999, 9:32 PM 2/25/2002]
Old 02-26-2002, 12:40 AM
C54TIM
Melting Slicks

Damn!
Just when I thought I'd never have to worry about installing HUD.
You go off and do it!
Now I have to go out and find HUD parts. I hate this mod stuff when will it ever end?
Great wright up by the way!
LOL
Tim

[Modified by C54TIM, 8:40 PM 2/25/2002]
Old 02-26-2002, 09:49 AM
JT-C6
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'06-'08-'10-'11

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (C54TIM)

That is an awesome technical contribution, but sure looks like it is a lot of trouble and money for the novelty. I had HUD on a '94 Grand Prix and the novelty wore off fast. I don't even miss it 4 years after selling the car now. In fact, I also think that the HUD windshields produce a little extra glare.
Old 02-26-2002, 10:00 AM
BatVette
Racer

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (JT-C5)

That is a great write up. I already have a HUD and love it, but had I not gotten that with my car I would have needed your write-up the first week I bought the car. :cheers:
Old 02-26-2002, 11:07 AM
Red Gump
Race Director

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (BatVette)

great post! but no WAY am I going to attempt that one! anyone in my area (sebring florida) who could assist? I'd love to have hud on my '97 but don't know (trust) anyone local to do it.
Old 02-26-2002, 11:40 AM
kewlbrz
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Nice write up.

I get the impression though that 97 (mabey 98) is the only one that would need a HUD cluster? I assume 99+ models that did not come with the HUD, simply need to add only the projector and not the cluster?
Old 02-26-2002, 12:43 PM
Kent1999
Le Mans Master

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (kewlbrz)

Nice write up.

I get the impression though that 97 (mabey 98) is the only one that would need a HUD cluster? I assume 99+ models that did not come with the HUD, simply need to add only the projector and not the cluster?
That may be the case. The 97-98 C5's didn't have HUD as an option, so I would bet those year C5's wouldn't have the HUD-enabled cluster. You would need the projector, and the switch, AND the cable that goes between the switch and the cluster. Someone had posted a while back that GM does NOT sell the cable seperately, so you may want to check that out before taking the plunge.

The interesting thing is that even on my 1997, the circuit board for the cluster has the spot and contacts for the HUD connector. It almost looks like if you had the right socket, you could just solder it on. However, the traces on the circuit board are different from 97 to 2000, so I don't know if it would really work, or if it just LOOKS like it would work. And, the HUD socket looks custom, not like something you could buy from Radio Shack.

Cheers,
Kent

[Modified by Kent1999, 9:45 AM 2/26/2002]
Old 02-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Speed-Racer
Melting Slicks

It would be good if there are any others out there who installed a HUD on their '98. I would have to visit a salvage yard most likely for those parts.

George
Old 03-07-2002, 06:48 AM
Pat97Vette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hi Kent1999,

I offer C5 HOW TO info to Vette owners on my web site as a hobby. Sure would like to include your HOW TO on my site, giving you credit. Please email me at pat@97vette.com. I'd like to include your HOW TO on my site.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 03-07-2002, 09:48 AM
LT1GMC
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (Pat97Vette)

THANKS for the GREAT writeup and pictures, I am going to do mine now for sure, as the HUD is the biggest reason I wanted to get an '02 Z06, but I cannot afford what the price difference is now.

FYI: Not having the HUD windshield isn't really a big deal, as many of GM's cheaper cars with HUD "DO NOT" use a special HUD windshield, the 97 and up Grand Prix for one. The HUD shield does decrease a bit of fuzzyness at the edge of the image, but its very minute.

Get notified of new replies

To HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (picts inside)

Old 03-07-2002, 10:15 AM
likev
Instructor

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (LT1GMC)

Great write up, should be interesting, I wonder if the '01 Z06 guys will do this upgrade?

LT1GMC, I just wanted to correct you, the 97+ Grand Prix does indeed have a special windshield for the HUD, just like the Vette does. I should know, I own a 99 GrandPrix GTP & a Z06. Too bad the Z06 HUD seems slightly fuzzier when I compare it to my GTP's HUD.

[Modified by likev, 2:17 PM 3/7/2002]
Old 03-07-2002, 10:17 AM
revo1059
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default Re: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5

Did mine about 4 weeks ago. Works perfectly. A warning however, make SURE you get the connecting cable from the switch to the cluster. GM DOES NOT sell this part.

My costs were

Swicth (new about $50 from GMPartsdirect)
HUD ($250 on EBay)
Bezel (about $30 from GMParts direct)

I also had the "luck" of having my car broken into and they scratched up the dash, so insurance put a new dash pad in, and I told the body shup to get me a dash with a hole.........
Old 03-07-2002, 11:49 AM
y2khrdtop
Racer

Kent,
off the subject, which by the way was excellent, what size tires are you running in the back of your coupe? they look absolutely FAT!
Nice write up, might need that option also...
Joe

Quick Reply: HOW-TO: Install a HUD in a 97 C5 (picts inside)