C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield Wiper gone crazy

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 04:20 PM
rrod100
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Wiper gone crazy

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I went to the car wash and suddenly my wipers went crazy. The turn on and off by themselves is I'm assuming there is water someone. I also have had problems with with my passenger turn signal. I put in a new bulb and every few weeks it blows out the bulbs. Should i just take it to get the electrical system looked at.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

The wiper control module is on the BOTTOM of the motor and sits in a well owl has THREE drains. Your drains are clogged and the module is sitting in water. It will evenduatly die and cost you lots of cash$$$$$$$$$$

Remove the rubber drain udders and clean out the cowl well.

Heres a picture of the well and drains:

Heres how to get to them the easy way:

Old 11-07-2009, 07:01 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Great pics. Learn something new everyday at this forum. Thanks for posting the pics. I am guessing these things become clogged on a regular basis if your car gets to set outside on a regular basis. I will have to take a look at mine tomorrow and give them a check to see that they are clean.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:27 PM
98LS1VETTE
Instructor

Be sure to get the 3rd one way in the back. It's kind of hard to reach. I had your very same issue a while back. My wiper arms still sit a few inches up from where they are suppose to be and don't go all the way down. Anyone know how to fix it without replacing the motor or the circuit card?
Old 11-07-2009, 10:29 PM
rrod100
Intermediate

Hey Guys appreciate all the help. The three drains were all plugged up i have taken them all out and cleaned them. The third one is hard to get to and i was unable to get it back in tonight. I will try again tomorrow. I hope this works, but once again Thanks for the help.

You guys are always helpful
Old 11-08-2009, 09:11 AM
c5blkvetteguy
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you replace your wiper motor ( TAKE A PIC OF HOW THE CAM IS INDEXED ) be aware that once you "pop" off your wiper transmission from the wiper motor cam...it needs to be replaced. The plastic piece is a one time use only part and is not sold alone, you have to buy the whole wiper transmission. I came up with an idea ( have pics in my album ) that allows using the old one again. If your wipers are not down all the way or out of sinc, you must index the motor and cam. I forgot to take a pic of how it should be but I'm sure someone on the forum has a pic.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:20 AM
RatNRoll
5th Gear

Default Wiper Repairs

Originally Posted by rrod100
Hey guys,

I was hoping someone could help me out. I went to the car wash and suddenly my wipers went crazy. The turn on and off by themselves is I'm assuming there is water someone. I also have had problems with with my passenger turn signal. I put in a new bulb and every few weeks it blows out the bulbs. Should i just take it to get the electrical system looked at.
Thanks in advance for any help.

I had same problem. Clean udders for proper draining. Pull fuse on wiper control. Remove wiper arms may be rusted a little bit so rock back & forth. Remove screen cowling. Pull 3 bolts from wiper trransmission (arms) and not motor connections and remove the entire transmission assemply with motor attached. Shift towards driver side, unplug electrical, and remove assembly. Take out 3 torx screws on motor bottom and remove plastic bottom. Probably full of water so shake out good. I used a hair dryer to dry plug end on car and then set assembly on bench with actual motor pointing up to allow water to drain. Setup hair dryer to blow on these parts as well as circuit board until dry. If you caught this in time you may salvage otherwise you'll have to replace motor portion. I was lucky as I assembled and plugged back in & it worked fine. Autozone & O'Riellly's care new ($120) and reconditioned ($55) motors.
Good luck.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:50 PM
RatNRoll
5th Gear

Default Wiper arm location

Originally Posted by 98LS1VETTE
Be sure to get the 3rd one way in the back. It's kind of hard to reach. I had your very same issue a while back. My wiper arms still sit a few inches up from where they are suppose to be and don't go all the way down. Anyone know how to fix it without replacing the motor or the circuit card?
Just had mine off due to wiper going crazy due to plugged udders and water in the wiper motor. Remove both wiper arms and let the wiper cycle a few times under the different settings and turn off. It will park itself where the wipers should sit on the stop. Replace the arms so they are snug against the stop and install nuts & caps. Should take care of it.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:21 AM
DarkSpeed
Pro

My wipers went crazy recently after a car wash....had to replace the motor/assembly and did all installation myself. BTW, I CUT THE BOTTOM OF THE UDDERS to make sure water/dirt doesnt trap up and wet the motor. Also I replaced the wiper water pump hose because it had hardened and was cracking.....
Old 10-31-2014, 11:04 PM
johnfkimble
Cruising

Default Udders

Originally Posted by DarkSpeed
My wipers went crazy recently after a car wash....had to replace the motor/assembly and did all installation myself. BTW, I CUT THE BOTTOM OF THE UDDERS to make sure water/dirt doesnt trap up and wet the motor. Also I replaced the wiper water pump hose because it had hardened and was cracking.....
Why are the udders necessary? What if I put a larger hole in the bottom or just cut the bottom off so they won't hold water.

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield Wiper gone crazy

Quick Reply: Windshield Wiper gone crazy