C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any opinions on oil additives like Z-Max?

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
TonyVette396
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any opinions on oil additives like Z-Max?

I use Mobile 1 oil and AC Delco filters in my '99 convertible. Is there any reason to use an additive like Z-Max? Do you think they provide additional protection?
I'm running a Vortech V-1 on a 112,000 mile stock block and want to take every precaution until I can afford a purpose-built blower motor.
Old 11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

SNAKE OIL ........ can i put my name on the line on that and i mean it....carrol shelby....... snake oil salesman....SAVE YOUR MONEY FOR SOMETHING USEFUL
Old 11-08-2009, 12:58 PM
TonyVette396
Instructor

I kinda figured that would be the response. The "soaks into the metal" line is what made me skeptical. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:00 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

unless you constantly bounce off the rev limiter in every gear and get your oil temp over 300 degrees mobil one is all you need
Old 11-08-2009, 05:31 PM
91Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I am very skeptical of products like Z-Max. As long as your keep your oil clean via regular changes, I'd say you are OK.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:58 PM
TonyVette396
Instructor

Thanks for the replies. I'll stick with fresh Mobile 1 every 3000 miles.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:09 PM
mathia
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I did some googling about Zmax a while back and found in 2001 the FTC sued ZMax's parent company for making unsubstantiated claims. I couldn't find out what came of the case. Obviously they're still hawking the crap. Probably still being dragged out in court. But yeah, it's
Old 11-08-2009, 09:15 PM
utryd2
Melting Slicks

Not to change gears here but Lucas oil addative? Ive heard good and pointless. Anyone know if it is worth while? I dont use it just curiouse.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:59 PM
chrismullins99
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lucas from what I've been told it has some additives to help seals and stuff and I've heard of many people who have used it when they had some oil leaks and it took care of it with one bottle. Seems to me that its more a stop leak than anything but I can't tell you how many bottles of that stuff I have sold.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:39 AM
rmarks
Racer

Way back when I had a TR4, STP oil additive lower the temp and raised the pressure. An impressive product. But the I think Chevy uses real engineers to design their engines.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:40 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rmarks
Way back when I had a TR4, STP oil additive lower the temp and raised the pressure. An impressive product. But the I think Chevy uses real engineers to design their engines.
my favorite was the TR6

horrible electronics though

i used STP on a VW engine that had sand in it and would not run, 2 cans of STP later and it ran for 2 days in the Santa Babara sand dunes and i used 4 quarts of oil while filling the area with blue smoke :rof l:
Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 AM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

way back I bought a 79 olds cutlass from the salvationn army as at the time i wanted to build a street/strip "G"body and this car had a mint interior w/bucket sets floor shift factory gauges f/r sway bars but till the motor trans was ready i had to get running but this car was severly overheated and had zero oil pressure so i did what any good mechanic would do i filled the crankcase with truck gear oil 140 weight and i got oil pressure and drove it for 6 months so stp and all petrolemun modifiers have their use do we need all these "MIRACLE" additives in a perfectly good running vette? or are you one of those senior citizens we see so often in those discount auto supply stores reading the backs of the cans of these miracle additives hoping this can will fill in the grooves in the cylinder walls and boost compression or penetrate the metal of the moving parts ,so if you got something thats just about (dead blowing smoke, knocking,using oil ect.ect.) by all means spend a couple bucks ,but if your vette is running fine do you think you need any snake oil in your oil pan?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:51 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Do you know what the Acronym "S T P" stands for?????

STOP THAT POUNDING............

Bill
Old 11-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Jims79
Safety Car

Originally Posted by utryd2
Not to change gears here but Lucas oil addative? Ive heard good and pointless. Anyone know if it is worth while? I dont use it just curiouse.
I use Lucas oil & gas additive in all my cars. I know a few guys who build & race cars that use it all the time. I figure for $16 a qt you can't go wrong.
Old 11-09-2009, 05:51 PM
c3andc5
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Opinions on Oil Additives

GM Has an opinion. Taken directly from the 2000 Owner's Manual:
Engine Oil Additives
Don’t add anything to your oil. The recommended oils
with the starburst symbol are all you will need for good
performance and engine protection.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:53 AM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rmarks
PROBABLY PUT THE STP ON THE TEMP & PRESSURE GAUGE
Old 11-10-2009, 01:07 AM
kg54trains
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyVette396
I use Mobile 1 oil and AC Delco filters in my '99 convertible. Is there any reason to use an additive like Z-Max? Do you think they provide additional protection?
I'm running a Vortech V-1 on a 112,000 mile stock block and want to take every precaution until I can afford a purpose-built blower motor.
There is a reason why a corvette tax is on things we purchase because we as owners are looking for items that have miracle results. This product has a high retail cost and no support from any independent services about their claims. Smoke and mirrors with just enough truth to maintain their status and aads. Save your money

Get notified of new replies

To Any opinions on oil additives like Z-Max?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 AM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kg54trains
There is a reason why a corvette tax is on things we purchase because we as owners are looking for items that have miracle results. This product has a high retail cost and no support from any independent services about their claims. Smoke and mirrors with just enough truth to maintain their status and aads. Save your money
I think that corvette owners are like parents that love their kids so much they are willing to go that extra mile for their kid likewise corvette owners are willing to go that extra mile and do just that little extra for their vette.Their daily driver wouldn't consider spending the extra $$$ for these additives but the vette they will,as we all know is a special car,but like your kid, as much as they would like ice cream for dinner you know the right thing to do is not always something they like but in their best interest you do whats right for them ..Grandma says don't give the kids ice cream for dinner...likewise (grandma) General Motors says don't put any additives in engine oil I think both are rightl
Old 11-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Gooser
Instructor

Don't you want to be able to spin your tires on the grass like that 700hp SUPER SNAKE on the Zmax commercial? Just buy it.....Carol Shelby's counting on you!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:46 AM
The Boy Racer
Advanced

Never add anything to your oil. If you were supposed too, then cars would come from the factory like that. I've actually heard of some additives (Xao) that have caused damage to engines....probably because they aren't supposed to be there.

Quick Reply: Any opinions on oil additives like Z-Max?