C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does the brand of oil make much of a difference with synthetic oils?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:27 PM
Red5
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Does the brand of oil make much of a difference with synthetic oils?

About to change my oil again. I usually run Mobile 1 20/50. I run the car pretty hard while autocrossing and such. But I'm thinking of lowering down to 10w 30 or possibly 5w 30.

I've been doing a lot more normal driving of late. Does the brand oil I use make a big difference? What brans do you run? What viscosity?

And does anyone have a good filter to suggest? I'd like part #s if possible.

Thanks
Old 11-10-2009, 06:43 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Given the superior lubricating properties of today's synthetics, and tighter machining tolerances from the factory, I really doubt that 20w50 oil is necessary, even while auto-xing. I would probably run a 10w30, and if the weather get a little colder where you are, the 5w-30 would be fine. I highly doubt that one brand is better than another, except in the testing lab, under VERY controlled conditions. I've always used Mobil1, but only because I can usually find it cheaper than the other brands.

I bought a bunch of the AC Delco synthetic filters from Ficthner Chevrolet, a forum sponsor, a few years ago. They were supposed to be the "hot tip". I don't know if they're still available, as AC Delco was considering dropping them, but since Ficthner's was buying them in large quanties, as a single source, it appeared that they could justify making several thousand a year, as long as they were going to one delivery point, rather than 2-3 to every Delco retailer around the country.

If they're no longer available, I'd go with a Mobil1 filter. K&N is a good filter too, but people have sais that the hex nut on the bottom of the K&N case can hang low, and be a point of impact/damage.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:08 PM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I think so and go by the viscosity at 100 degrees "C". German Castrol is around 12.3 Cst while Mobil-1 is around 10 or so even though both are a 30 weight oil at temperature. Castrol is at the upper end of the range and Mobil-1 at the lower end of the range.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:14 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

goto ls1 tech theres all kinds of great links to oil info

personally, i run rotella 15W 40 in nearly everything i own, including the Z06.

yes there is a difference between synthetics, the links at ls1tech will help you.. or you can google bob is the oil guy or something like that (off the top of my head, but give it a shot)

for autocross, i too would run a thicker than recommended oil. BUT, personally, i'd run straight 40 weight. more stable.

a 10W-30 or xW-anything kind of has an identity crisis, it tries to be two things at one time, and of course there are sacrifices as far as protection goes.

i run oil designed for diesels for the high anti metal to metal contact additives (ZnP04) though i know you have to watch the rotella bottles close, as they have decreased the additive content for emissions equipment. plus, all those diesels have huge turbos seeing all kinds of high EGT's and they dont fail to lubricate or coke-up like regular gasoline engine oil can.

thats just my take on it, and what i live by.. because it works for me and lets me sleep at night. i've also built more engines than you could shake a stick at :thumbs

thats just my take

oh yeah. german castrol is supposedly nearly = penzoil platinum synthetic which is supposed to be some of the best. the german stuff is impossible to find in some areas.

in applications when i do run a plain gasoline oil that is synthetic, i choose castrol.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:15 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by CoreyZ06
....for autocross, i too would run a thicker than recommended oil. BUT, personally, i'd run straight 40 weight. more stable.

Do you REALLY want straight 40 in the crankcase for a cold startup?????
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 AM
dbaker
Melting Slicks

Received 263 Likes on 179 Posts

Here's the GM approved list.Any one of the name-brand Hi Perf oils should be fine.

\db2
Carolina

http://www.gm.com/corporate/responsi...ngine_oils.pdf
Old 11-11-2009, 11:42 AM
smithd7
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil filter

Go with a Wix #51042,much better than the AC.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:52 AM
C5XTASY
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by smithd7
Go with a Wix #51042,much better than the AC.

or the NAPA Gold...made by, and same as, Wix.
Ed
Old 11-11-2009, 12:51 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leadfoot4

Do you REALLY want straight 40 in the crankcase for a cold startup?????
yes. there is absolutely nothing wrong with it unless your in like 0 F air.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:08 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

M1 5-w50

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli...bil1_5W-50.asp
Old 11-11-2009, 01:32 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

I think Mobil 1 quality may be slipping, and other brands are improving.
I just switched to Valvoline Synpower because Valvoline and Castrol EDGE both showed better wear protection than Mobil 1 in the standard wear test.

I only use WIX filters on all my cars.

Just make sure the oil meets the GM 4718M spec for the Corvette and you should be OK. I use 10W30 in Texas.
Old 11-11-2009, 01:47 PM
TrchRedC5
Instructor

the oil cap says to use mobile 1, why would you use anthing else?
Old 11-11-2009, 01:57 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

Originally Posted by TrchRedC5
To save money. As long as your oil meets the spec "GM 4718M," your OK. That spec will be on the label of your preferred brand.

Example, I stopped in at Advance Auto Parts today, Mobil 1 was $6.99/quart. Didn't price compare other GM 4718M spec brands, but some are less expensive.

Zippy
Old 11-11-2009, 02:26 PM
TrchRedC5
Instructor

Originally Posted by Zippy
To save money. As long as your oil meets the spec "GM 4718M," your OK. That spec will be on the label of your preferred brand.

Example, I stopped in at Advance Auto Parts today, Mobil 1 was $6.99/quart. Didn't price compare other GM 4718M spec brands, but some are less expensive.

Zippy

i don't earn a great living, most likely alot less than most vette owners, and i wouldn't skimp on something so stupid, i'd use exactly what gm recomends.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:53 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXHAWK0
I think Mobil 1 quality may be slipping, and other brands are improving.
I just switched to Valvoline Synpower because Valvoline and Castrol EDGE both showed better wear protection than Mobil 1 in the standard wear test.

I only use WIX filters on all my cars.

Just make sure the oil meets the GM 4718M spec for the Corvette and you should be OK. I use 10W30 in Texas.
I switched to Castrol Edge because of increased wear (lead) in the last several years with Mobil 1 in my used oil analysis. I will report if wear went down.

I also use WIX or NAPA GOLD oil filters.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:54 PM
2KFRC5
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i don't earn a great living, most likely alot less than most vette owners, and i wouldn't skimp on something so stupid, i'd use exactly what gm recomends.
"Notice See Owner's Manual, Special Oil Required". The Owner's Manual only recommends oils that meet GM4718M specs. It does not recommend Mobil 1 over any other oil that meets specs. "Your vehicle’s engine is filled at the factory with a Mobil 1® synthetic oil, which meets all requirements for your vehicle."

Above quotes from 2000 Owner's Manual, and 2000 oil filler cap..
Old 11-11-2009, 02:58 PM
ssmith512
Melting Slicks

Received 849 Likes on 443 Posts

It is nothing more than an advertisement. Mobil provided Mobil 1 oil to GM at a reduced price. In return, GM advertises Mobil 1 on the oil cap. Period. End of story. The motor isnt designed for Mobil 1 oil. Mobil just happend to be the low bidder when GM asked "Who wants their name on our Corvette oil caps?".

Get notified of new replies

To Does the brand of oil make much of a difference with synthetic oils?

Old 11-11-2009, 02:59 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

you guys ever notice the 5qt jugs of syn at wal-mart for $20? mobil1, valvoline, castrol, Penzoil platinum etc.

www.bobistheoilguy.com has a lot of useful information on oils. as far as i know only redline is a true ester oil which means it's a 100% created in a lab syn.

what weight of oil to use is also a bit of a hard question. 99% of the time following OEM recommendations is the way to go, of course this means 5-30w. higher operating temps are the only reason i can think of to move to a heavier weight.

also, 5-30 and 10-30 are both 30w oils. the split represents weight at different temperature. you can probably google to find out where the ratings are done.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 PM
Zippy
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In 2, 9 & 10 Veteran
St Jude donor '09

Mr RedC5: First off, I'm not interested in getting into a debate with you nor anyone else. Just want to share info and help others with honest/knowlededge info, and if I can help someone save money, all the better. If I don't know, I'll say so, or not reply.

Regarding my earnings...I've been on fixed income and haven't worked for over 9 years, so most likely, I earn a lot less too.

Little background on why I psoted about oil. Have worked as a Sr Engineering Tech at Detroit Diesel Corp with over 34 years experience before gong on medical disability. We worked on future products, dyno testing, current products, 2 cycle & 4 cycle diesels, competitors brands, foreign brands, Wankel diesels (experimental), emissions testing, durability testing (ran enignes 24/7 for weeks at a time, stopping only to check and/or add oil), ran engines in every way imaginable, and each time we took oil samples that were evaluated by metallurgy and/or chemical engineers. We tested various types, brands of oils, and I can not tell you how many times I've changed oils in engines ranging from 40 hp to over 2,000 hp. Granted heavy duty diesels have different requirements than gasoline engines, however lube oil also have similar properties. Have also attended engineering seminars on lube oil, talked at length with engineers and chemists ragarding eninge oil.

I've owned and maintained 12 different Corvettes, most of which required GM 4718M specific oil. C3, C4, C5, and C6 Vettes have been part of me since 1983.

I don't believe I'm stupid if I use oil other than Mobil 1 in my vehicles.
For the record, I DO use Mobil 1 (partly because I only buy it on sale, and save money) in my Corvettes.

Almost forgot, also read and follow what GM says in their owner's manual.

Tony
Old 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
stevensa
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Think with your dipstick Jimmy!

Quick Reply: Does the brand of oil make much of a difference with synthetic oils?