C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use the Volant dual cone air intake?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Default Anyone use the Volant dual cone air intake?

I just got a Volant dual cone intake for a steal but I noticed something a bit odd about it. The OEM air filter has tabs that hold down the air bridge and the two studs that hold the front of the air box in place, but the Volant has nothing. It attached to the throttle body with the screw clamps and kind of just lays there. The bridge doesn't have the spots for the push tabs and the air filters Y assembly has nothing to hold it in place. Anyone else use this air filter set up?
Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
I just got a Volant dual cone intake for a steal but I noticed something a bit odd about it. The OEM air filter has tabs that hold down the air bridge and the two studs that hold the front of the air box in place, but the Volant has nothing. It attached to the throttle body with the screw clamps and kind of just lays there. The bridge doesn't have the spots for the push tabs and the air filters Y assembly has nothing to hold it in place. Anyone else use this air filter set up?
Yep, does not appear to have an provisions.....

Old 12-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to build a little hidden mounting tab for the bridge or Y assembly. I was hoping to hear from some who use it and if they have ever had any concern with its free sitting style? I often over analyze things, this may be one of them.

If anyone is interested, its only $99 brand new direct from Volant.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:00 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevy Guy
I'm pretty sure it would be easy enough to build a little hidden mounting tab for the bridge or Y assembly. I was hoping to hear from some who use it and if they have ever had any concern with its free sitting style? I often over analyze things, this may be one of them.

If anyone is interested, its only $99 brand new direct from Volant.
You can install it, and then write the review. I've never seen one installed on a vette..so post pics.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:26 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

You don't need anything to hold it in place,it will be secure as is,I had one for 8 years and never had problems,I now use a different intake system and it also has no way to fasten down,no worries. Just make sure all connections are tight.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:41 PM
Shirl
Safety Car

Received 1,577 Likes on 664 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

My duct doesn't have them either. It sits a little high but is ok. It leaves a slight indent in the hood liner.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:09 PM
Normseven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just pulled off a similar on as it was on my car when I got it and it did not have a CA CARB sticker. It was attached to the same 2 studs with a flexable type bracket that tou could get anyware. Is the unit you have CA CARB certified?
Old 12-18-2009, 07:36 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Thanks for the replies everyone. I slapped it on the other day and it is very secure. It isn't going anywhere. Because I am so **** I may try and use the OE air bridge as a donor and make an air bridge bracket from the original piece.

I dont know if its a CARB approved piece, I cant imagine they make 2 versions though. To be honest, I'm not 100% sold on it. I dont like the connection between the MAF and the air bridge, it is a hard plastic and it doesn't seem to be able to make anywhere near as good a seal as the OEM rubber coupler.

As requested, here are the pics.

Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Look for a rubber adapter on your stock bridge or the air(filter) box. Forget what side of the MAF it's on. Use that if possible. My Halltech needed it as well. The Halltech does not mount down either. Jim Halltech told me it is designed this way to be able to move a bit as the engine twists. The setup is just snugged in place by the hood liner when it's all closed up. Don't think you should waste any time trying to have it hard mounted.
Look for that rubber adapter as well.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:46 AM
oakvillec5
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What are the benefits of this intake over stock? I just bought a K&N for my stock intake, which is better?
Old 12-19-2009, 02:26 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the dual cone that goes out like a "T" and it to does not have a connection to the front frame as the stock one did. But it rest up against the frame and it doesn't move at all. You can wire tie it and screw the tab to the frame or just leave it. The vette really feels free during open trottle on the freeways..

Two things, to benefit from this you need to open up the vents (where the fog lights are located) by drilling or melting 3/4" holes in it to get cold air into the area to benefit the filter. Also, if you live in CALIF. you need a CARB tag or you automatic fail the SMOG TEST. Trust me, I know. So keep your stock setup in the garage, swap back when smogging, or go out and spend $389 on a K&N Filter Kit for the C5 that comes with a CARB tag approved. The reason you got a deal is because the company didn't apply the CARB testing cost to get it CARB approved, they just copied the design and sell it to the "Buyer we were", now it works just like a CARB design but just never tested. That is why K&N sells theirs so much higher they spent the cost to have it approved by CARB for Californina.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:03 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Originally Posted by oakvillec5
What are the benefits of this intake over stock? I just bought a K&N for my stock intake, which is better?
I'm sure I am going to get heat for this but my opinion is that aftermarket intakes are not much better for performance than a stock Z06 intake. The OE intake flows excellent. So why did I do it? I found a link to the Volant Store where you can get these for $99, so I figured what the heck. I like the louder intake sound when you get on it and it looks a lot better. No way in a million years would I spend $250 and up on an intake set up.
Old 12-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I bought this for $75 on Craigslist and I'm happy. Nothing wrong with second hand intakes.

Old 12-19-2009, 06:25 PM
olefam
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had mine for a year now and am very satisfied with it. No real improvement in performance, but I like the way it looks. And frankly, $99.00 is a very good buy for an excellent and unique intake system.
Glen

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone use the Volant dual cone air intake?

Quick Reply: Anyone use the Volant dual cone air intake?