Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2009, 04:31 PM   #1
corvettegt
Junior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2008
Default how to replace "air dam" under the front

going on hwy 1 to big surf and hit a large rock and it torn part of my "air dam" apart need a diagram or pics how to relace it'
corvettegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
87SAM
CF Senior Member
 
87SAM's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jan 2001
Location: Boise ID
Default

Just stick your head under there and you’ll see. About 4 bolts for each section.
__________________
2012 Cyber Gray GS
87SAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 05:51 PM   #3
jrose7004
CF Senior Member
 
jrose7004's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2004
Location: Oklahoma City OK
Jim Rose Jim Rhttp://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=89789687&trk=hb_tab_pro_topose
Default

Just unbolt it and put another one on.
jrose7004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
oakvillec5
CF Senior Member
 
oakvillec5's Avatar
 
Member Since: May 2008
Location: Oakville Ontario
Default

one of the easy items to do yourself.
oakvillec5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
lionelhutz
CF Senior Member
 
lionelhutz's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2007
Location: South Western Ontario
Default

Each side piece uses 5 x 7mm head screws and the center piece has a 10mm head bolt on each end. Really easy to change.

Peter
lionelhutz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
DeeGee
Tech Contributor
 
DeeGee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Horncastle Lincolnshire, England
Dave Gledhill David Gledhill
Default

Air Deflector Replacement - Front Bumper Fascia
Removal Procedure


Click the image to open in full size.
1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
2. Remove the center air deflector bolts.
3. Remove the air deflector from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure
1. Position the center air deflector between the side valances.
Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
2. Install the center air deflector and attaching bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the air deflector bolts to 7 N•m (62 lb in).
3. Lower the vehicle.
__________________
http://deegee-media.webnode.com/

2002 A4 Convertible, Mag Red II
Euro head and tail lights, Z06 screens, frame savers and rocker rails, Pioneer AVIC X1R nav/DVD player, EE catch can.


Tattershall Castle, England *** **** **** *** Las Vegas, NV




Jet Noise, the sound of freedom!
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
widewheel
CF Senior Member
 
widewheel's Avatar
 
Member Since: Feb 2006
Location: Keystone, I.T.
Default

Dave to the rescue again.
widewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #8
LisaJohn
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
Air Deflector Replacement - Front Bumper Fascia
Removal Procedure


Click the image to open in full size.
1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
2. Remove the center air deflector bolts.
3. Remove the air deflector from the vehicle.
Installation Procedure
1. Position the center air deflector between the side valances.
Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
2. Install the center air deflector and attaching bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the air deflector bolts to 7 N•m (62 lb in).
3. Lower the vehicle.
A big thank you! Our air dam is supposed to be in tomorrow. My 97 came without one. Not sure what happened to it.
L
LisaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #9
DeeGee
Tech Contributor
 
DeeGee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Horncastle Lincolnshire, England
Dave Gledhill David Gledhill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJohn View Post
A big thank you! Our air dam is supposed to be in tomorrow. My 97 came without one. Not sure what happened to it.
L
A lot of people take them off without fully realizing that the car needs the air dam to breathe. Has the car been lowered? That may be why they were removed. Dont forget the end fairings. They smooth the airflow under the car and are quite important for higher speed stability.
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
LisaJohn
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '10
 
Member Since: Sep 2009
Location: Tuscaloosa Alabama
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeGee View Post
A lot of people take them off without fully realizing that the car needs the air dam to breathe. Has the car been lowered? That may be why they were removed. Dont forget the end fairings. They smooth the airflow under the car and are quite important for higher speed stability.
Car has not been lowered. Looked like the old air dam had been damaged or knocked off.The two center brackets/fasteners were still attached. Side ones are on the car. Thanks again for the great info. It took just a few minutes to install.
L and J
LisaJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 01:37 PM   #11
DeeGee
Tech Contributor
 
DeeGee's Avatar
 
Member Since: Dec 2003
Location: Horncastle Lincolnshire, England
Dave Gledhill David Gledhill
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaJohn View Post
Car has not been lowered. Looked like the old air dam had been damaged or knocked off.The two center brackets/fasteners were still attached. Side ones are on the car. Thanks again for the great info. It took just a few minutes to install.
L and J
Glad I could help

Happy New Year
DeeGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:51 PM   #12
adamgl
CF Senior Member
 
adamgl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Default

I ordered a new air dam, mine was missing. I need to order the 2 center braces (red arrow). But all 4 holes in the square tubing just have oversized holes. (green arrow). There are no threads anywhere for the bolts to screw into.

Are there supposed to be threaded inserts in these holes?
Attached Images
 
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 07:07 PM   #13
adamgl
CF Senior Member
 
adamgl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Default

Anyone? These are what the air dam bolts are supposed to thread into.. But it just has open hex holes on all 4 locations.. Should there be some sort of thread inserts?
Attached Images
 

Last edited by adamgl; 07-08-2014 at 08:03 AM.
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 10:53 AM   #14
Curt B
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2014
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgl View Post
Anyone? These are what the air dam bolts are supposed to thread into.. But it just has open hex holes on all 4 locations.. Should there be some sort of thread inserts?
I just went thru this replacing my crash bar...new ones come without the nutserts and need to be bought seperately. Pretty safe to say your crash bar was replaced but the air dam was blown off. GM part number is 11515638 for the nutserts and there is a total of 7 of that size and one larger one where the horn mounts. I found the procedure to "squash/secure" them into the holes fairly straightforward.
Curt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #15
adamgl
CF Senior Member
 
adamgl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt B View Post
I just went thru this replacing my crash bar...new ones come without the nutserts and need to be bought seperately. Pretty safe to say your crash bar was replaced but the air dam was blown off. GM part number is 11515638 for the nutserts and there is a total of 7 of that size and one larger one where the horn mounts. I found the procedure to "squash/secure" them into the holes fairly straightforward.
Thanks a lot. Is this the right part? I don't see how this would easily go into the hole in the tube and retain itself?
Attached Images
 
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #16
adamgl
CF Senior Member
 
adamgl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Default

I was picturing something more like this?


http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb....5Z50000050C~~~
Attached Images
 
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:28 AM   #17
Curt B
Junior Member
 
Member Since: May 2014
Default

Sorry, that is the wrong part number. I got it from a website stating "common C5 problems" which had the following info:

"Here’s a list of ALL the parts you’ll need to replace the impact bar and the side air deflectors:
Part #------Qty---Description
10188023---001---Insulator (goes to bottom of radiator)
10278679---001---Insulator (goes to bottom of radiator)
10278679---005---Nut
10400765---001---Plate (the actual impact bar, unpainted)
10419312---001---Panel (air deflector)
10419313---001---Panel (air deflector)
11515638---010---Nut-speci
11515757---010---Bolt-Metr
10281487---010---Nut
Not all of these parts need to get replaced, and there will be a few leftovers, but it will get the job done."


I got mine from the dealer and they looked them up. Part number on my invoice is 11518908, they fit snug in the hex holes, look like the second style, and are not even on the list above??
Curt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 10:06 AM   #18
adamgl
CF Senior Member
 
adamgl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt B View Post
Sorry, that is the wrong part number. I got it from a website stating "common C5 problems" which had the following info:

"Here’s a list of ALL the parts you’ll need to replace the impact bar and the side air deflectors:
Part #------Qty---Description
10188023---001---Insulator (goes to bottom of radiator)
10278679---001---Insulator (goes to bottom of radiator)
10278679---005---Nut
10400765---001---Plate (the actual impact bar, unpainted)
10419312---001---Panel (air deflector)
10419313---001---Panel (air deflector)
11515638---010---Nut-speci
11515757---010---Bolt-Metr
10281487---010---Nut
Not all of these parts need to get replaced, and there will be a few leftovers, but it will get the job done."


I got mine from the dealer and they looked them up. Part number on my invoice is 11518908, they fit snug in the hex holes, look like the second style, and are not even on the list above??
Thanks, I'll go by the dealer and see if they have that part.

I couldn't find anything about it in the service manual either. They're not very clear on it.
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM   #19
adamgl
CF Senior Member
 
adamgl's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2012
Default

Helps a lot with cooling after getting it installed. 4 of those inserts where almost $30 from dealer.
adamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:58 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page how to replace "air dam" under the front
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
2003, 2008, air, c4, c5, c6, center, corvette, dam, deflector, diagram, front, install, parts, replace, replacing


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
C6 Front Air Dam Duckman1187 C6 Corvette General Discussion 9 08-13-2014 09:01 AM
WTB: 68 air dam rslifer C3 Parts for Sale/Wanted 6 08-22-2013 07:42 PM
Z51 vs Standard front air dam - Difference? c5vette73 C7 General Discussion 1 08-18-2013 10:14 PM
help needed on Removal of the air dam AzDave47 C6 Z06 Discussion 25 05-01-2013 09:18 AM
82 Air Dam Support Bracket 82SilvergreenVett C3 Tech/Performance 6 02-24-2006 08:15 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:11 PM.


Emails & Password Backup