C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmonic Balancer: SLP (Powerbond) vs Trick Flow vs Summit Racing

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:18 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Bump for updates how has everyone's aftermarket crank pulleys been holding up over the last 4 years? I'm leaning toward going with powerbond stock sized pulley assuming no longevity issues are being reported. Anyone have a recommendation on where to pick it up for the lowest price?

I'm in the process of replacing my oil pump and possibly more, figured I would upgrade my stock crank pulley while I'm in there.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:15 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Bump for updates how has everyone's aftermarket crank pulleys been holding up over the last 4 years? I'm leaning toward going with powerbond stock sized pulley assuming no longevity issues are being reported. Anyone have a recommendation on where to pick it up for the lowest price?

I'm in the process of replacing my oil pump and possibly more, figured I would upgrade my stock crank pulley while I'm in there.
i have the SLP powerbond. 2 race seasons and it is doing great. i like the weight because i am running light flywheel. engine seems to love the combination! No rust but I live in no rust zone AZ lol

G/L
Old 07-27-2015, 12:10 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by tommypenguin

When ordering, remember that there is the OE replacement unit from Powerbond, and then there's the Race series. So unless you're just staying with an all-stock engine, it's the premium "Race" series that you want. They have unique part numbers.

Originally Posted by rustyguns
i have the SLP powerbond. 2 race seasons and it is doing great. i like the weight because i am running light flywheel. engine seems to love the combination! No rust but I live in no rust zone AZ lol

G/L
Same here. Although I'm not tracking, my 25% UD PB has performed well for over 5 years now.

Note: Powerbond HBs now come powder coated; at least their "Race" series do. Not positive on the OE replacement units.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (05-09-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 02:14 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
When ordering, remember that there is the OE replacement unit from Powerbond, and then there's the Race series. So unless you're just staying with an all-stock engine, it's the premium "Race" series that you want. They have unique part numbers.

Same here. Although I'm not tracking, my 25% UD PB has performed well for over 5 years now.

Note: Powerbond HBs now come powder coated; at least their "Race" series do. Not positive on the OE replacement units.
Hey guys, I've been trying to find this 25% UD powerbond set for my 2000 ls1.

I live in Canada so whatever is easier/better to get from please let me know, I can't seem to find it...

Also some people mention some kinda crank pin or something... some issue with it?

What about belts, bolts, etc... I need everything to jut have it installed by my mechanic in one go.

Any concerns? I do stop and go traffic in summer it does get hot here, I have a 160* thermostat. I do use AC. It can get to 40celsius here in southern ontario near the lake.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:00 PM
ArmchairArchitect
Banned Scam/Spammer

Location: Philadelphia PA (Birthplace of the USA, UNESCO World Heritage City)
Received 3,916 Likes on 1,616 Posts

How much HP do you gain from a 10% and 25% underdrive balancer, respectively? Trying to decide whether to go underdrive, or just stick to regular drive.

Last edited by ArmchairArchitect; 05-09-2017 at 12:00 PM.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:38 PM
a_ahmed
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts

I went from a broken / fallen apart stock one to the 25% one lol... the car is running a tad quicker even according to the wife, but no dyno. Glad I got it.

I would reckon around 10whp ish at most. Since I had to do it, it made sense to get an aftermarket one and not the stock crapper...

There is a youtube video here:

Last edited by a_ahmed; 05-09-2017 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:09 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

anyone have any experience with the Romac 25% under drive pulley???

I ordered one from Texas Speed, should be shipping out next week. I'm in Canada as well and really hope its the right thing for me.

From what I've read so far is that for manual tranny c5's the balancer needs to be balanced??

Mines a 6 speed 2003 Z06.... should I be worried?
Old 06-14-2017, 02:22 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

just spoke to tech support at TSP and they said that LS6 engine is internally balanced, so any flywheels/balancer will be fine and does not make a difference to the balancing of the motor....
Old 06-15-2017, 11:40 AM
95Z28M6
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Georgies
just spoke to tech support at TSP and they said that LS6 engine is internally balanced, so any flywheels/balancer will be fine and does not make a difference to the balancing of the motor....
Sort of true...The LS6 is in fact internally balanced, BUT a lot of the motors were balanced again to a higher standard AFTER assembly with the flywheel and balancer on the motor. My personal 02 Z06's flywheel was purposely 30 some grams OUT OF BALANCE as evidenced by holes drilled in it. This is why when people change the flywheels on them, like I did, they have to match balance the new Zero balanced flywheel to the factory one. I believe my engine guy took 37 grams out of my new Monster flywheel to match the factory one. Rumor has it that some people have removed factory balancers to find them purposely out of balance as well, but the flywheels seem to be more likely out of the two.

Last edited by 95Z28M6; 06-15-2017 at 11:42 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-15-2017)
Old 06-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Georgies
Burning Brakes

Thanks 95Z28M6, never thought about that...kinda worries me.....what do you think about the Romac balancer?

Quick Reply: Harmonic Balancer: SLP (Powerbond) vs Trick Flow vs Summit Racing