C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One headlight motor is all out of sync. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 12:32 PM
Chance
Team Owner

Location: I was a young troubadour when I rode in on a song, and I'll be an old troubadour when I'm gone.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Default One headlight motor is all out of sync. Help!

Recently, I put new metal gears in my headlight motors and everything worked correctly for a couple weeks.
But now, my left headlight is totally out of whack.

The headlights seem to turn on and raise as normal.
But when I shut the lights off, the left light cycles down and then partially back up again. The right light stays down correctly, but the left stays up.

When I turn the lights on, the temperamental left light cycles down and then back up, the right light operates normally, and now both lights are in the up position.

But when I turn the lights off.... here we go again!
The left light doesn't stop when it gets down, it pops back up!

What is going on here??
Old 01-09-2010, 03:13 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

This may help

Number: 00-08-42-002
Subject: Left Headlamp Door Does Not Stay Closed (Shim Headlamp Door Motor/Actuator and Replace Insulators)
Model Year: 2000 Chevrolet Corvette

Condition
Some customers may comment that the left front headlamp door does not remain closed after the headlamps are turned off. Others may comment
that the left headlamp door closes when the headlamps are turned off, but then reopens. In either case, the right headlamp door operates properly.

Correction
Important
The following information applies to the left front headlamp door motor/actuator only. It does not apply to and should not be performed on the right front headlamp door motor/actuator.

Install one washer (2) between the left headlamp door motor/actuator (1) and the mounting bracket (3) at each of the three attaching bolt locations. Also replace the
insulator (4) on each of the two mounting bracket travel stop tabs (5) as shown. For information on headlamp motor/actuator removal, see the Headlamp Motor/Actuator
Replacement procedure in the Lighting sub-section of Body & Accessories in the appropriate Service Manual.

Parts Information
Part Number Description Qty Per Vehicle
11505463 Washer 3
16524060 Insulator 2
Old 01-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Chance
Team Owner

Location: I was a young troubadour when I rode in on a song, and I'll be an old troubadour when I'm gone.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

DeeGee, that's it!

Of course, I figured it out just before I saw your post.

The arm was missing the stop, swinging right by it. I tweaked the arm a bit, got it back in line where it should have been, and now it operates properly. Pretty simple problem, pretty simple fix, but it drove me crazy trying to diagnose it.

Thanks.
Old 01-10-2010, 01:51 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Chance
DeeGee, that's it!

The arm was missing the stop, swinging right by it. I tweaked the arm a bit, got it back in line where it should have been, and now it operates properly. Pretty simple problem, pretty simple fix, but it drove me crazy trying to diagnose it.

Thanks.
Glad you fixed it
Old 01-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Al Borman
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chance
DeeGee, that's it!

Thanks.
I hope your "tweak" was not to simply bend the arm to achieve better contact with the stoppers. You really need to fix properly using washers to offset the headlight motor. 20 minute job to do it right.

Found this article to be helpful, as I had the same problem:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/regi...9040&i=2827207

Get notified of new replies

To One headlight motor is all out of sync. Help!

Quick Reply: One headlight motor is all out of sync. Help!