Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C5 Tech
Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace Sponsored by
Karl Chevrolet

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 01-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #21
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky131969

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon84 View Post
The codes came on with the original alternator in. I went to autozone and got an AC Delco direct GM replacement. Still throwing the same codes.
Doesn't matter....the p/n tells the story....there are threads covering this. Even though it's "direct replacement"....doesn't mean it's correct.

Additionally, I'm confused. Why was the starter changed to begin with?
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:23 PM   #22
seoulbrooks
CF Senior Member

If he could not get the starter right I sure would not let him be fooling with the PCM.....

If he hooked the starter up wrong he could have blown the fusible link in one of the field feeds........

Last edited by seoulbrooks; 01-08-2011 at 04:32 PM.
seoulbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #23
dragon84
CF Senior Member

Long version:

I just drove from Monterey Ca to Huntsville Al. Around Memphis TN my starter started making a grinding sound that got worse and worse as the trip progressed.

As a quick preemptive measure I ordered an MSD starter for a 2003 Corvette because it was supposed to have heat shielding for use with long tube headers like I have. I thought this was the best action to undertake since I was traveling.

I was going to put it on myself (not a hard job, I've done it before on my 84 vette) but just didnt have time. I brought it to this repair shop 3 days ago on post for the aforementioned reasons.

When I got the new alternator I checked to make sure it was a 110 amp and not a 140 amp. It shouldn't matter since the problem was still there with the original part on the car. The new alternator didnt fix or contribute to the charge system fault message or the 2 codes.

I'm just trying to figure out what the kid did wrong. His service manager said he used to work at GM...I think now that he must have s fired or something.....

He thinks now that the PCM might be fried but I have 0 confidence in him

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky131969 View Post
Doesn't matter....the p/n tells the story....there are threads covering this. Even though it's "direct replacement"....doesn't mean it's correct.

Additionally, I'm confused. Why was the starter changed to begin with?
dragon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:32 PM   #24
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to lucky131969

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon84 View Post
Long version:

I just drove from Monterey Ca to Huntsville Al. Around Memphis TN my starter started making a grinding sound that got worse and worse as the trip progressed.

As a quick preemptive measure I ordered an MSD starter for a 2003 Corvette because it was supposed to have heat shielding for use with long tube headers like I have.

I was going to put it on myself (not a hard job, I've done it before on my 84 vette) but just didnt have time. I brought it to this repair shop 3 days ago on post for the aforementioned reasons.

When I got the new alternator I checked to make sure it was a 110 amp and not a 140 amp. It shouldn't matter since the problem was still there with the original part on the car. The new alternator didnt fix or contribute to the charge system fault message or the 2 codes.

I'm just trying to figure out what the kid did wrong. His service manager said he used to work at GM...I think now that he must have s fired or something.....

He thinks now that the PCM might be fried but I have 0 confidence in him
Ok....do not let this goofball touch the PCM .....call me.....I'll be free in 20 minutes....PM sent.
lucky131969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
dragon84
CF Senior Member

thanks man

Tom
dragon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:54 PM   #26
GeneT
CF Senior Member

I'm getting the 1637/1638 codes on my 2002 convert. I haven't changed any parts or loosened any wires/cables. What I did was tighten the battery hold down bracket by removing the washer behind the star washer. The previous owner installed a new battery, and I found that it could slide if I pushed it. I read her on the forum that the simple fix was remove the washer. I didn't remove the cables or ground wire, I did move the battery slightly so I could get a socket on the hold down bolt. I cleared all of the codes, and for 3 days they stayed clear. Then when I started it I got the "charging fault" on the dash, and the 1637/1638 codes were back, but, with an H not a C. I cleared them again, and, 3 days later, same thing, "charging fault and 1637/1638H codes.
Any ideas ??
GeneT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 PM   #27
seoulbrooks
CF Senior Member

GeneT... I'd start by making sure the battery connectors are clean and torqued properly. Also clean the grounds. Since the codes are your field feeds you need to look at the connection at B of the starter, make sure the connection is clean and tight. You will see this connection on the schematic in post #12. Good luck.
seoulbrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:21 PM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C5 Corvettes, 1997 - 2004 > C5 Tech
Reload this Page P1637 and P1638. HELP please!

Tags
1637, 1638, 2003, bracket, c5, chevy, code, corvette, cp, hold, ls1, p1637, p1638, starter, tahoe, track