C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Powder Coated Brake Calipers and Brackets, some pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Installed Powder Coated Brake Calipers and Brackets, some pics included.

Since I'm between big mods at the moment, I decided to upgrade the look of my brake calipers. I originally considered installing C6 Z06 calipers, but couldn't justify the expense of a wheel and tire upgrade. Then a fellow vette buddy suggested I try changing out the stock gray calipers with powder coated ones. So I got in contact with thePowderCoater.com. Turns out he was offering a great deal over the holidays. So I order them. Since I would be changing out the calipers, I also installed stainless steel brake lines. I thought I would do the work myself. Here are a few pictures of the install.

Here's a picture of the OEM bracket after the caliper was removed. Notice the stock brake line. I just tied off the caliper without disconnecting the line. I wasn't sure if my line plug would work. So I held off changing it until the last second. The plug worked and I just took the brake lines off first thing.

The connection to the hard brake line. The clip was removed by prying it off sideways with a screw driver.

The bracket mounting bolts took some effort to break loose. But a breaker bar made it fairly easy.

The powder coated caliper with the AN fitting and bleeder nipple attached. I used VBP stainless steel brake lines. The AN fitting came with the lines and screwed right in with a supplied copper washer.

The brackets were powder coated black. I applied blue loctite and torqued the bolts to 125 ft-lbs.

The stainless steel line installed. VBP supplied a clip to use with their fitting. I tried using the OEM ones, but they proved too difficult (and might have been impossible). The VBP clips slid right in with some help with long blunt object hit with a mallet (I used a claw hammer held length wise with a rubber coated handle).

The powder coated caliper installed with the new brake lines installed. Notice the reverse S shape of the line.

Another view of the caliper and stainless steel brake line.

The opposite side.

Old 01-11-2010, 11:33 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

nice work
Old 01-12-2010, 10:43 AM
MrSimpson
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where did you get the lines?
Old 01-12-2010, 11:05 AM
Poppy's Vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job Will! Good documentation. The only picture missing is a nice shot of the car with it's new look!
Old 01-12-2010, 12:36 PM
SebringSixSpeed
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I assume you did the rear calipers too. Lets see a pic of the whole thing.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:28 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MrSimpson
Where did you get the lines?
Originally Posted by SebringSixSpeed
I assume you did the rear calipers too. Lets see a pic of the whole thing.
Originally Posted by Poppy's Vette
Nice job Will! Good documentation. The only picture missing is a nice shot of the car with it's new look!
I got the lines at Vette brakes and Products Inc. I've read good things about them here and decided to go with them. They do not use the OEM banjo bolt fitting but an AN type instead. They are DOT approved also. I just remembered that I didn't see any active-handling codes when I test drove it.

Thanks Paul, I did get a some pics but I accidently deleted them. The wheels are filthy with brake dust, and I'm afraid to dirty up the calipers with excess cleaner.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 PM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great job

I just got my calipers back from Mike (aka thepowdercoater) yesterday. This post is timely for me. Any issues getting the brake lines off? I have a set of Russell lines that I'm going to put on and I was wondering if there is a trick to getting the OEM lines off.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:40 PM
csexton
Team Owner

Great mod and a job well done

Chuck
Old 01-12-2010, 11:02 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by rjb6mt
Great job

I just got my calipers back from Mike (aka thepowdercoater) yesterday. This post is timely for me. Any issues getting the brake lines off? I have a set of Russell lines that I'm going to put on and I was wondering if there is a trick to getting the OEM lines off.

I pulled the clip off by wedging a screw driver against the hard part of the line. Keep in mind I never put the same clips back in. Then I just used a 13 mm end wrench and a small adjustable. It comes apart fairly easily. The banjo bolt was in pretty tight. The hard part of taking the banjo bolt off is gatting a grip on the caliper to apply some torque on the wrench.

I did not have a factory service manual. But I used the Wilwood brake caliper install article from LS1Howto and the rotor change out from Install University (I know it's a F-body, just used it for procedural purposes).
Old 01-13-2010, 08:49 AM
RockJustBelow
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SDLS1Rider
I pulled the clip off by wedging a screw driver against the hard part of the line. Keep in mind I never put the same clips back in. Then I just used a 13 mm end wrench and a small adjustable. It comes apart fairly easily. The banjo bolt was in pretty tight. The hard part of taking the banjo bolt off is gatting a grip on the caliper to apply some torque on the wrench.

I did not have a factory service manual. But I used the Wilwood brake caliper install article from LS1Howto and the rotor change out from Install University (I know it's a F-body, just used it for procedural purposes).
Thanks, great howto article as well!

I can't tell you/everyone how much I appreciate this forum and how much people are willing to help. A true testament to a strong and vibrant corvette community. Thanks again!
Old 01-13-2010, 10:36 AM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by SDLS1Rider
I pulled the clip off by wedging a screw driver against the hard part of the line. Keep in mind I never put the same clips back in.
Originally Posted by rjb6mt
Thanks, great howto article as well!

I can't tell you/everyone how much I appreciate this forum and how much people are willing to help. A true testament to a strong and vibrant corvette community. Thanks again!
Just to be clear, you do have to put some sort of clip back in (I used the clips supplied by VBP). I'm just not sure if my method of taking them off affected getting them back on.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:34 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

looks great good work
Old 01-16-2010, 08:34 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Finally did some thorough cleaning of my wheels today, and took some pictures of the powder coated calipers. It was partially overcast today so the light wasn't very good. So here is what they look like.

On a side note, let me tell you when cleaning these wheels, there is no end to the brake dust. I clean them off, then went over them with more buffing compound and a white terry cloth. It was black after a few strokes. I spent about 2-1/2 hours buffing the wheels (even taking them off the car). I could probably spend another 2-1/2 hours on them and still be cleaning brake dust off.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:25 PM
SebringSixSpeed
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Well worth the effort, they look amazing!
Old 01-16-2010, 09:33 PM
Blu Angel
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SebringSixSpeed
Well worth the effort, they look amazing!
Fabulous lookin!!
Old 01-17-2010, 10:47 PM
C5FORFUN2
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Nice job! Switch to ceramic pads and you won't have to worry about the brake dust.
Also what kind of floor jack is that? I need a new one.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:28 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

They look excellent. Great job!
Old 01-19-2010, 11:46 PM
SDLS1Rider
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by C5FORFUN2
Nice job! Switch to ceramic pads and you won't have to worry about the brake dust.
Also what kind of floor jack is that? I need a new one.
I bought it at harbor Freight. It's a US General Aluminum lightweight floor jack #91039. It works for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Installed Powder Coated Brake Calipers and Brackets, some pics included.

Quick Reply: Installed Powder Coated Brake Calipers and Brackets, some pics included.