C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with fluid changes. Motor. Trans. Diff.

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 05:32 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Need help with fluid changes. Motor. Trans. Diff.

I need to change my oil and I'm going with Royal Purple. I'm about to park the car for winter mods and want to change the oil, tranny fluid (M6), and rear end fluid. I need help with what I need to get to do the changes. How many quarts. Type. Any info so I can purchase everything I need all at once. Thanks for the help.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:34 AM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Its a 97 6 speed LS1
Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 AM
clayton1
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just going by memory here:
Rear Diff takes ~1.6lt 75w90 Syn gear oil, add LS additive
Tranny takes I think ~3.9lt Dex III , or GM manual trans fluid, the royal purple is called synchromax I believe.
And of course the motor, takes about 6.7lt 5w30syn (that includes filter).
Old 01-14-2010, 11:16 AM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

The post above sounds about right.I would not recamend you use synthetic trand fluid such as syncromax. The synthetic trans fluids have been known to cause wear sooner on some of the stock internal parts in the t56 transmission. Its best to just use some regular Dex 3 atf in the trans.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:17 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Can't see how the syn can wear it out quicker???
Old 01-14-2010, 05:19 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
Its a 97 6 speed LS1
I did this 2 years ago. I have a 97 6-speed and I've had no issues with paper blocker rings. CAVEAT: Previous owner had 2nd gear synchro replaced at a trans shop and I don't know what all they changed.

Here's what my my records say:
Royal Purple 75W90 in the rear ($20.40) (2 qt?)
Royal Purple ATF Synthetic in the Tranny. ($33.03) (4 qt?)

I don't have quarts, just total price but it seems like ATF was about $8 a quart and Rear wasabout $10 a quart.

I later went with Syncromax Manual Trans Fluid and there was no noticeable difference. So pick what you like. I live in a mild climate. CA is too, but in extreme cold weather the ATF might have better cold weather shifting.

You'll need a handheld fluid pump to refill.

Refill the rear until it starts to run out. Refill the trans with the amount specified in the owners manual under capacities and specifications. I'd add the limited slip additive in the rear (GM part) even though RP supposedly doesn't require it. You can never have too much lube in the rear.

I'm a huge fan of Royal Purple products, but I like the availability and price of the new 0w30 mobil one, so that's what I'd recommend for the crankcase.. You change the engine oil to often to spend $9 a quart on oil, and there will come a time or place where you can't get your hands on RP to refill it.

I like the purolator filters, which can be purchased at Advance Auto or Sears around here. Not sure about CA.

Last edited by jedblanks; 01-14-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
TEXHAWK0
Le Mans Master

Received 787 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
Can't see how the syn can wear it out quicker???
Manual transmission needs the right viscosity to get the synchros and other internal components to work as designed. Some people in our local club have found that RP did not improve shifting, so they changed back to the GM manual transmission fluid.

I would (and did) stay with the GM fluid when I changed the fluid in my 2004 Z06 a couple of months ago.

I did not have much luck with those cheap little plunger pumps. Mine broke before I got any fluid in the transmission. I drilled a hole in the top of one of the bottles, ran a small air line from my air compressor to the bottle, and used the air to push the fluid up the fill tube and into the transmission. No mess.
Just make sure you set the pressure low, so you do not overpressure the plastic bottle. I used a trigger control air nozzle to control the air to the bottle.

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with fluid changes. Motor. Trans. Diff.

Quick Reply: Need help with fluid changes. Motor. Trans. Diff.