C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any AIR Check Valve Relocation Kits For Sale?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 10:42 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Received 159 Likes on 93 Posts

Default Any AIR Check Valve Relocation Kits For Sale?

Was wondering if anyone has come up with and sells a kit to cleanly relocate the driver's side AIR check valve from behind the engine to the passenger side head location.

The driver's side AIR check valve is out in the open and easily accessible ... too bad GM didn't do the same thing for the passenger side check valve. It looks like a relocation kit could be made up pretty easily.
Old 02-07-2010, 10:51 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Was wondering if anyone has come up with and sells a kit to cleanly relocate the driver's side AIR check valve from behind the engine to the passenger side head location.

The driver's side AIR check valve is out in the open and easily accessible ... too bad GM didn't do the same thing for the passenger side check valve. It looks like a relocation kit could be made up pretty easily.
Sure, but where is the market? It's not like it's a part that goes bad all the time, and for those that fail, the replacement parts are solid(unlike the OPS). Just like the OPS, for a seasoned mechanic, it's a 40 min job to replace.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by lucky131969
Sure, but where is the market? It's not like it's a part that goes bad all the time, and for those that fail, the replacement parts are solid (unlike the OPS).
The oil pressure sensor goes out too ... but it's not that common of an issue either, yet there are 2 or 3 relocation kits out there for sale.

So what brand replacement AIR check valves is "solid" compared to the OEM part. All the aftermarket check valves I've seen also have a rubber flapper valve, and they too will eventually get baked and harden when buried behind the engine instead of out in the open like on the drive's side head.

Just like the OPS, for a seasoned mechanic, it's a 40 min job to replace.
So a good mechanic can R&R the subject check valve (including R&R of the intake manifold) in 40 min?

I'm not sure you if you know what check valve I'm talking about.

Last edited by ZeeOSix; 02-07-2010 at 11:12 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I relocated mine to a cardboard box tucked away in a closet somewhere.

No problems with it since.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:31 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

The oil pressure sensor goes out too ... but it's not that common of an issue either.......
Not a common issue? Probably the MOST common issue on C5's, and the replacement GM sensors were crap for some time.

So a good mechanic can R&R the subject check valve (including R&R of the intake manifold) in 40 min?

I'm not sure you if you know what check valve I'm talking about.
Yes, I know exactly where it is, because I had to changed my due to a reoccurring P1416 code. I replaced it with an OEM part. Mine started acting up at 70K miles. If this one lasts until 140K.....I can live with that.

The reality is, no one is going to create a relocation kit, for something you don't need......
Old 02-08-2010, 12:01 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Not a common issue? Probably the MOST common issue on C5's, and the replacement GM sensors were crap for some time.
There are quite few threads and instances of the P1416 DTC occuring on the C5s ... it's pretty common, I'd say just as much as the oil pressure sensor issue.

Yes, I know exactly where it is, because I had to changed my due to a reoccurring P1416 code. I replaced it with an OEM part. Mine started acting up at 70K miles. If this one lasts until 140K.....I can live with that.
Well, guess you were luckier than me ... mine started acting up at 18K miles and died at 22K miles. I need to replace it now, so was just wondering IF anyone might have a relocation kit out here for sale ... apparently not.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
I relocated mine to a cardboard box tucked away in a closet somewhere.

No problems with it since.

How did you keep the computer happy and not setting any DTCs?
Old 02-08-2010, 12:03 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Well, guess you were luckier than me ... mine started acting up at 18K miles and died at 22K miles. I need to replace it now, so was just wondering IF anyone might have a relocation kit out here for sale ... apparently not.
If you are the ambitious sort, you can do your own relocation. At least one person has done it on the forum.....think there was a thread on it last year.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 AM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

If you are the ambitious sort, you can do your own relocation. At least one person has done it on the forum.....think there was a thread on it last year.
I'm sure I could if I had some tubing and other materials, and a good tube bender and a welder ... but I don't.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:31 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

I'm sure I could if I had some tubing and other materials, and a good tube bender and a welder ... but I don't.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...p1416-mod.html
Old 02-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Boodieman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Does the 2000 LS1 engine have this ....

...AIR check valve on the Passenger side? I looked down between the pass side cyl head and firewall and don't recall seeing it.

I currently have my intake removed for the oil sensor relocate project and would like to replace the valve with a new one while the intake is removed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:17 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Boodieman
...AIR check valve on the Passenger side? I looked down between the pass side cyl head and firewall and don't recall seeing it.
That's because it's located above/behind the drivers side head..and behind the intake manifold.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

I currently have my intake removed for the oil sensor relocate project and would like to replace the valve with a new one while the intake is removed.

Thanks in advance.
Here is a pic of the pass side AIR tube off the car.

The slotted tab you see fastens to the rear of the pass. side head.

How did you keep the computer happy and not setting any DTCs?
Tuned those codes out.

I'm not running cats, so the AIR system is useless to me.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:55 PM
Boodieman
Advanced

Ah, OK. Thanks for the pic Y2K.

The check valve is the near black part in the upper right hand corner of your photo. I replaced one of those on my '88 F250 while on the vehicle which was a bear of a job.

Should I go to the dealership for that part or would an Autozone/Advance/NAPA be a better route?
Old 02-08-2010, 03:57 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
The slotted tab you see fastens to the rear of the pass. side head.

You mean the drivers side head.......
Old 02-08-2010, 04:10 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

You mean the drivers side head.......
oops, yeah, I just looked at it and judging by the distance from tab to the bend around the pass head, you'd be correct.

I took it off like 4 years ago, I must have thought of that wiring harness clamp that fastens to the rear of the pass. head. Another fun fastener to get to.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:09 PM
egrand333
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Wonder if you took off intake manifold to replace air check valve and cut off tab bolting it to head if you could just unbolt line from passenger side and disconnect from drivers side hose and push it through from behind intake enough to replace valve again if you had to. ( or pull it out from passenger side)

Last edited by egrand333; 02-08-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Any AIR Check Valve Relocation Kits For Sale?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:29 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Thanks in advance.
Now you know why I'd like to relocate it TO BE by the passenger side head like the driver's side so it is easy to access. GM could have done it easily, but for some reason didn't put it out in the open like the driver's side.

Yes, DEFINITELY replace the AIR check valve if you already have your intake manifold off!! It's a $12 part from Autozone (or other parts stores) and cheap insurance to replace it. The ACDelco part from the dealer is about $35 I think.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:30 PM
ZeeOSix
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by egrand333
Wonder if you took off intake manifold to replace air check valve and cut off tab bolting it to head if you could just unbolt line from passenger side and disconnect from drivers side hose and push it through from behind intake enough to replace valve again if you had to. ( or pull it out from passenger side)
Entirely possible. It's the bolt in that tab located below the check valve that is a nightmare to remove unless the intake manifold is off.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Boodieman
Advanced

ZeeO,

1) I spent 20 minutes at my local Chevy dealership parts counter and we could not come up with a GM part number. The exploded view he has on his computer does not show the tubes or check valves.

Do you know what the GM part number is? If I had it I could call around town and get one.

2) Also, other than the GM dealership, which requires 5 days to get, where can I buy the fuel injector O-ring replacement kit????

thanks,

Quick Reply: Any AIR Check Valve Relocation Kits For Sale?