C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

jack stands for pucks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 04:32 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default jack stands for pucks?

i was curious if there is a jack stand out there that has a larger resting pad that would be suitable to use under the lifting pucks?

i'm sure any regular jack stand would do but i was specifically looking for one that could be affixed to the puck or that had edging around the jack stand surface so if the puck was inclined to slide it would meet a lip that would prevent it from falling......thoughts....suggestions....

i normally use stands under the front and rear crossmembers but with the last few things i have done under the car, it would have been nicer to have the stands out of the way.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:48 PM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by wkndwarrior
i was curious if there is a jack stand out there that has a larger resting pad that would be suitable to use under the lifting pucks?

i'm sure any regular jack stand would do but i was specifically looking for one that could be affixed to the puck or that had edging around the jack stand surface so if the puck was inclined to slide it would meet a lip that would prevent it from falling......thoughts....suggestions....

i normally use stands under the front and rear crossmembers but with the last few things i have done under the car, it would have been nicer to have the stands out of the way.
I made my own just for this reason. I went to a local steel distributor and bought 4 - 3" X 3" X 3/8" (I had them cut the 3" stock 3") plates. I cleaned the paint on the jackstands (the parts that has 2 fingers) and welded the 3X3 plates. I painted them with flat black paint and it turned out great. I'll post some pics later when I have a chance to get to my garage (we just got 20" of snow on top of 36" we got last Sat ).
Old 02-11-2010, 04:56 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by ragtopws6
I made my own just for this reason. I went to a local steel distributor and bought 4 - 3" X 3" X 3/8" (I had them cut the 3" stock 3") plates. I cleaned the paint on the jackstands (the parts that has 2 fingers) and welded the 3X3 plates. I painted them with flat black paint and it turned out great. I'll post some pics later when I have a chance to get to my garage (we just got 20" of snow on top of 36" we got last Sat ).
wish i had those welding type skills.....ahhhhh what i would do, looking forward to seeing the pics
Old 02-11-2010, 06:24 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

I've never seen a jack stand like that. I have put the stands directly under the frame before. Just be careful that they're positioned so the frame is resting solidly on them.

I've seen pictures of it being done but I would never put the V top stands under pucks.

Peter
Old 02-11-2010, 06:28 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by lionelhutz
I've never seen a jack stand like that. I have put the stands directly under the frame before. Just be careful that they're positioned so the frame is resting solidly on them.

I've seen pictures of it being done but I would never put the V top stands under pucks.

Peter
yeah my thoughts exactly....didnt know if anyone sold them or had successfully made them and would like to make another pair for a nominal fee
Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 PM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

OK, made it out to the garage. The plate is black so it doesn't show all the deatails.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:21 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

OK, made it out to the garage. The plate is black so it doesn't show all the deatails.

so if i find a local welder he should be able to fabricate something like this pretty easy, right?

thanks for the reply....good to know someone else it like-minded
Old 02-11-2010, 07:40 PM
hatewhatownsyou
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

im planning on making some adapters for my jack stands. i going to use 3.5in diameter round stock and put at 3"dia pocket in it, so the puck will rest in it. this way if anything does happen, it will greatly reduce the risk of the car sliding off the jacks
Old 02-11-2010, 08:47 PM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

so if i find a local welder he should be able to fabricate something like this pretty easy, right?

thanks for the reply....good to know someone else it like-minded
Yes, it took me less than an hour to clean, prep and weld all 4 stands. I can always weld some plates around it so that the pucks won't slip off.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Yes, it took me less than an hour to clean, prep and weld all 4 stands. I can always weld some plates around it so that the pucks won't slip off.
forgive my ignorance but you can weld these type adapters to any regular jack stand?? i'm gonna be hitting the welding shops 1st thing tomorrow
Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by hatewhatownsyou
im planning on making some adapters for my jack stands. i going to use 3.5in diameter round stock and put at 3"dia pocket in it, so the puck will rest in it. this way if anything does happen, it will greatly reduce the risk of the car sliding off the jacks
sounds like exactly what i am talking about......pocket so less likely to slip or tip
Old 02-11-2010, 09:01 PM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

forgive my ignorance but you can weld these type adapters to any regular jack stand?? i'm gonna be hitting the welding shops 1st thing tomorrow
Yes, just make sure the MIG welder is up to the task. You really need to penetrate the jackstand side well to have a strong weld. I have a pocket MIG and that doesn't have enough current to weld this. Ended up using a big shop MIG.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:05 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Yes, just make sure the MIG welder is up to the task. You really need to penetrate the jackstand side well to have a strong weld. I have a pocket MIG and that doesn't have enough current to weld this. Ended up using a big shop MIG.
i have some connections with guys that do heavy equipment repair......they should have one big enough.....thanks!!
Old 02-11-2010, 10:10 PM
cvm
Pro

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Whats up with the GM Logo?
Mark
Old 02-12-2010, 01:31 AM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I like! I was under the impression that the jack stand cradles are cast iron, cast iron can be welded? Excuss my ignorance, do'nt know welding.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 AM
ragtopws6
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by cvm
Whats up with the GM Logo?
Mark
Mark, the upside down GM logo was a joke.

You can weld cast iron. Also, the steel plate I have on top of the stand is so it would hold the puck, that's it.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:25 AM
chevylad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know what all the fuss is about using jack stands with out a totally flat surface on the puck. I have jackstands with the same type of head and the standard GM aluminum pucks. I've never had any problems. The pucks show no signs of wear or stress.

Get notified of new replies

To jack stands for pucks?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:39 PM
punz
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 174 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15

I like! I was under the impression that the jack stand cradles are cast iron, cast iron can be welded? Excuss my ignorance, do'nt know welding.

Talked to a friend today , he said the material the cradles are made of is cast steel and not iron. Iron would snap and not bend. Being steel, very weldable.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:26 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

you can stick weld cast iron. you have to preheat the area with a torch then use a nickle rod. i picked up a set of 6 ton stands for $6. at tractor supply on clearance then used my saws all and grinder to transform the top of the stand to fit the frame hole. came out slick. i'll post up some pics this weekend. only drawback is the stands are for corvette frame hole use only pretty much.
Old 02-16-2010, 02:50 PM
wkndwarrior
Racer

Originally Posted by Camjamsdad
you can stick weld cast iron. you have to preheat the area with a torch then use a nickle rod. i picked up a set of 6 ton stands for $6. at tractor supply on clearance then used my saws all and grinder to transform the top of the stand to fit the frame hole. came out slick. i'll post up some pics this weekend. only drawback is the stands are for corvette frame hole use only pretty much.
never thought of it that way........looking forward to seeing the pics

Quick Reply: jack stands for pucks?