C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help ! Car is losing its "mind"

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 10:38 AM
CingRed
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ! Car is losing its "mind"

Last weekend after filling up with fuel upon starting the car (97 cp 32000 miles) I got the message Low fuel and the gas guage read empty. It stayed this way all the way home.I then shut it off and restarted and the fuel gauge went to full and the message went away. Last night upon starting I got the messages "Service traction system" and "reduced power" and the check engine light was on.The idle felt slightly rough. I shut it down and upon restarting the idle was smooth the service traction and reduced power messages were gone but the check engine light stayed on. All the systems and gauges looked normal so I took it for a short drive, stopping once for 10 minutes and letting it sit then restarted. No other messages but the check engine light stayed on. It ran fine.I have had no problems at all with this car.No electronics mods. I am concerned. Any thoughts are very much appreciated. :confused:
Old 03-08-2002, 02:38 PM
rhoeven
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Help ! Car is losing its "mind" (CingRed)

The fuel gage problem is a reoccurring problem for many of us but the other problem you mentioned sounds pretty weird.
Many C5 owners had problems with a leaking battery where the acid ate the underlying cable harness and PCM
If you still have the stock Delco battery , you should check this possibility asap.

Hope this helps

Roger
Old 03-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Red C5
Drifting

Default Re: Help ! Car is losing its "mind" (rhoeven)

I've never had the fuel problem before but one time I encountered the reduced power, service traction control, and engine light coming on. If I remember correctly the engine light staying on continously means there is an emissions problem, possibly bad gas or fumes leaking from gas cap. I checked the cap and made sure there was no gas spilled there and the light went off. The reduced power/service traction control problem happend after I washed my car. I am guessing that I got my filter wet and might have sucked in some water. When it says reduced power, it is not kidding. It ran like my Civic. I took out my K&N filter and cleaned it. Put back in and let it dry, about an hour later, it was all fine. Only happened once.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:54 PM
T-Bone98
Melting Slicks

Just curious, but do you have a Delco (DelCrap) battery? If so, get rid of it ASAP! These pieces of poopie of known to leak and when they do they usually take out the PCM which sits underneath of it and all of those weird messages can starting coming out of the DIC. It's the first thing I'd check just to eliminate it as a cause. Peace. :cool: T-Bone.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:00 PM
ersatz928
Melting Slicks

Received 714 Likes on 457 Posts

Default Re: Help ! Car is losing its "mind" (T-Bone98)

Also check for water damage of the BCM (Body Control Module) located behind the passenger side toe panel. Water leaks from the AC evaporator due to clogged drain tubes, and drips down the harness wires into the BCM.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:55 AM
luvinc5
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Help ! Car is losing its "mind" (ersatz928)

The others have mentioned great points. If it's not the leaking battery, it could be a loose connection.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:09 PM
CingRed
Heel & Toe

Thanks to all for the help. You guys saved me some bucks again. I would have been off to the dealer soon if it weren't for you. It was the GAS CAP. There is even a warning by the cap that I had never seen before that warns of this. Tightened it and the check engine light went right off and no more problems. I will be replacing my delco battery though after reading your comments. THANKS !! :cheers:
Old 03-10-2002, 11:33 PM
WWK888
Le Mans Master

Dont you just love this forum :D :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Help ! Car is losing its "mind"

Quick Reply: Help ! Car is losing its "mind"