C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly Control Arm bushing Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:20 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Zert fittings work well and will shoot the grease where it's suppose to be on the inner side of the bushing between the inner bushing and metal sleeve.

Looks like this.

i think even with zerk fittings, they will still need to be taken apart and cleaned eventually. adding the lubricant only does half the job. however, the clean/rebuild will need to be done far less frequent if you are able to lubricate the bushings more often.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:14 AM
cwalsh
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you keep them lubed my would have to take them apart to clean them up? That would be like saying "I'm going to take my ball joints apart this weekend to repack the grease". Now I do understand a ball joint is meant to have a grease fitting and has proper grooves and such for grease to travel and these poly bushings usually do not, but why cant you put them there yourself? I mean if you think about it you tighten down the bolt which in turn holds the sleeve in place so if you just install a zerk fitting in the outer section doesnt really do much good. Some good but nothing to the sleeve. You would need to drill a hole through the bushing and a small groove around the inside and out side for grease to travel. That way when using a good quality thick lube like suggested you shouldnt have to remove the control arms once a year. Does this make sense? Or have I had too much coffee this morning

Chris
Old 03-10-2010, 11:51 AM
postwhore
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added zerks to my swaybars and drilled the hole all the way to the sway bar.
You can do the same for the control arm bushings.
I'm guessing aig915 did this .
Old 03-12-2010, 09:58 PM
CamaroAJ
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

you can get SuperLube from a GM dealer. if you want i can give you a part number but you'll have to PM me because i'll forget to check this thread.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Its_Go_Time
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 7 Posts

Just as an update:

I tried a new grease I stumbled on at work, and after two years, still not one squeak or moan from the suspension. I used it on the arms as well as the sway bars. I'm taking it all apart now for a looky-loo, and this grease is still in there. Everything still moves smoothly, and there is no build-up of poly on the aluminum shafts like before. The grease is made by Shell under the name Gadus. Its refered to as S2 Coupling Grease, and at work we source it from McMaster Carr. Awesome stuff.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 PM
cwalsh
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always good to hear of great products to help with the squeaking!

Chris

Quick Reply: Poly Control Arm bushing Rebuild