C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF is a "Final Drive Ratio?"

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2002, 05:35 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default WTF is a "Final Drive Ratio?"

I was looking at the stats for the 2000 coupe and it says that my car has a 3.15 rear axle ratio (which I already knew) and a 2.21 "Final Drive Ratio." What is that? I thought it was something to do with the torque converter at first, until I looked over and say that the 6-speed has a final drive ratio of 1.71. Then I thought that maybe it was derived from some form of calculation between the axle ratio and the transmission ratio, but if I divide the two by each other I get 1.42 or 0.70, neither of which are gears in my transmission.

So, what's up? I had always thought that, at least in a manual tranmission, you simply multiply the tranmission gear ratio by the rear end ratio to get the number of engine revolutions per tire revolution.
Old 03-09-2002, 05:42 PM
nevrenuf
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Edit Guru
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Default Re: WTF is a "Final Drive Ratio?" (Scissors)

Final drive ratio is the lowest total ratio between the engine and the output shafts of the rear differential. Simply stated, it is the number of engine revolutions required to produce one revolution of the rear tires.

On an Automatic, this occurs in 4th gear. On an M6, this occurs in 6th gear.

The final drvie ratio is calculated by multiplying the final transmission ratio by the rear end gear ratio.

For instance, the M6, in 6th gear, has a ratio of 0.50:1 and M6's have 3.42 gears in the rear. SO, 3.42 x .5 = 1.71......

Hope this helps

Old 03-09-2002, 05:47 PM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Default Re: WTF is a "Final Drive Ratio?" (nevrenuf)

Oops, thanks for the info, I got confused. I just noticed that 0.7 is a gear in my transmission, I was looking at 4th gear under the manual.

D'oh!

:bb
Old 03-10-2002, 02:46 AM
1990bevile
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: WTF is a "Final Drive Ratio?" (Scissors)

I really dont know why people care about final drive I meen its pretty useless unless you know the radius of your wheels + tire.

Get notified of new replies

To WTF is a "Final Drive Ratio?"

Quick Reply: WTF is a "Final Drive Ratio?"