C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Oil Catch Can......

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 09:25 AM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default C5 Oil Catch Can......

I've been reading and decided to install an "Oil Catch Can" on my 1999 C5 Corvette. C5's have a tendancy to blow oil from the crank to the intake and it can really make a mess in there. I found a really cheap aluminum one on Ebay for $14 dollars with $10 for shipping. I don't see why one would spend $120 for them, it is just a basic can to catch the oil but allow the vapors to get burned in the intake, thus staying emission legal, and we all want to do that now don't we.
Old 03-14-2010, 12:40 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

ok...
Old 03-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

You might want to read the following. The various types of catch cans and their good and bad features are illustrated and explained.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV...oval%20102.pdf

As you will see, many Ebay cans are just cans with little filtering ability. Oil droplets will pass right on through.
Old 03-15-2010, 04:00 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Dave68
You might want to read the following. The various types of catch cans and their good and bad features are illustrated and explained.

http://www.conceptualpolymer.com/PCV...oval%20102.pdf

As you will see, many Ebay cans are just cans with little filtering ability. Oil droplets will pass right on through.
What he said.
Old 03-15-2010, 08:28 AM
AnteVenom
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Daytona Jam 1 Veteran

Very interesting article from Dave and so much research!

The questions I have are fairly simple then:

1- is one better off with the stock set-up rather than some of the steel mesh OCC that are quite popular here on the forum?

2- are the chances of doing damage to cylinder walls (because of pieces of the media being pulled into the manifold) so great one would be making things far worse by leaving everything alone?

Old 03-15-2010, 08:54 AM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

I've got a very nice part made by Elite Engineering.

It's well made; machined from solid aluminum. Looking at the details of the work involved to create the part it's easy to see why it's worth the money... and it works very well for a can of it's type.

Good luck with your $15 piece... but I don't mind paying more for a great American made item that catches a good amount of oil.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:12 AM
whiteboy572ci
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love my cca catch can! I also saw LGMotorsports had one also. Mine cca works great though!
Old 03-15-2010, 10:35 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by AnteVenom
Very interesting article from Dave and so much research!

The questions I have are fairly simple then:

1- is one better off with the stock set-up rather than some of the steel mesh OCC that are quite popular here on the forum?

2- are the chances of doing damage to cylinder walls (because of pieces of the media being pulled into the manifold) so great one would be making things far worse by leaving everything alone?

Thanks, Ante,

It looks like both questions are related. I performed some comparison testing among various types of filter media a while back and before removing some of that steel wool from the bag in which it was packaged, I noticed many loose strands at the bottom of the bag. To me, this was not a good sign and while idle vacuum pressure and flow may not be sufficient to pull steel strands into the intake, I thought it best to not take the chance. This is why I stay away from metallic filter media. Perhaps the inclusion of a fine filter screen at the exit of the catch can would provide some peace of mind.

Catching oil is a "catch-22" in that higher density filters trap more oil, but also trap more particulates, requiring more frequent replacement. I recommend mounting a catch can so that blowby gasses must travel downward to the catch can, and then travel upward to the intake. Keeping the catch can in a cool place will allow the filter and impaction surfaces to trap more oil and water than if the can is mounted very close to the big heat source - your engine.

Dave
Old 03-15-2010, 11:40 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

I tried one of those ebay cans, and it hardly caught anything. In fact, if you want to cover shipping, I'll send you the damn thing complete with the bracket I had to fab up for it.

But after reading up more, I suspect my engine just doesn't blow a lot of oil in the first place. Apparently not all LS engines are created equal in this respect.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:07 PM
Jesse Asis
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great information guys, been installing these items in different vehicles I've had, 280ZX, 280Z, Corvette C3. Bottom line, I've seen expensive cans, cheap cans and medium price cans. Any system is better than the 3" hose that connects the crankcase to the intake. The filter screen is important to trap the vented oil droplets. If the designer of LS1 thought about it they would of included a catch can, but cost issues stopped that. Any system is better than the stock set up. Now with that said, if you race your C5, then get the top of the line catch can because you will have blow by venting and it becomes more important to your intake manifold. Normal driving, the standard can will do just fine.. Just my two cent.... I love the tech. knowledge in this forum and look forward to reading them. Keep up the great work guys... Enjoy the ride..

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Oil Catch Can......

Quick Reply: C5 Oil Catch Can......