C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help diagnosing front end clunk/pop/snap

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 12:45 AM
OpethMike
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help diagnosing front end clunk/pop/snap

I meant to put this topic here, but put it in general discussion by mistake.

Car is a 1997 automatic coupe, with ~34k miles.

Recently, I have been experiencing a clunk/pop/snap sound when turning in either direction at parking lot speeds, such as when pulling out of my garage, or in to/out of a parking spot.

Diagnostics so far:

With the car completely off, I muscled the steering wheel from full lock to full lock a few times. No sound was heard.

With the car running, if I turn the wheel from lock to lock while standing still (in park, or in drive and standing on the brakes), no clunk/pop/snap is experienced.

So, while driving slowly, if I turn the wheels more than a 1/4 turn or so in either direction, I will hear the noise while turning. The sound will happen over and over again, it is not a one time sound.

Suggestions for further diagnostics? Thoughts on what the issue could be?
Old 03-16-2010, 07:21 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 78 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by OpethMike
I meant to put this topic here, but put it in general discussion by mistake.

Car is a 1997 automatic coupe, with ~34k miles.

Recently, I have been experiencing a clunk/pop/snap sound when turning in either direction at parking lot speeds, such as when pulling out of my garage, or in to/out of a parking spot.

Diagnostics so far:

With the car completely off, I muscled the steering wheel from full lock to full lock a few times. No sound was heard.

With the car running, if I turn the wheel from lock to lock while standing still (in park, or in drive and standing on the brakes), no clunk/pop/snap is experienced.

So, while driving slowly, if I turn the wheels more than a 1/4 turn or so in either direction, I will hear the noise while turning. The sound will happen over and over again, it is not a one time sound.

Suggestions for further diagnostics? Thoughts on what the issue could be?
Get the from end up on jackstands, and see if you can reproduce the noise. If so, have some one turn the wheel for you while under the car, so you can determine the origin.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:20 AM
iklrhemi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your swaybar end links, I had this problem in the rear at slow speed with any body roll it would clunk. this was after I dropped the swaybar to install the Z06 ti exhaust.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:26 AM
jjmoberg
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Do these cars have an intermediate steering shaft? That is what this problem sounds like to me. Happened on 2 of the Grand Prixs I own(ed).
Old 03-16-2010, 11:41 AM
K RIPPER
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iklrhemi
check your swaybar end links, I had this problem in the rear at slow speed with any body roll it would clunk. this was after I dropped the swaybar to install the Z06 ti exhaust.
had the same noise as you described it was the sway bar end link .yopugrab it and see if any play,jack front of car up periodically checking it for plaY ANY PLAY REPLACE you probally hit a pothole or something
Old 03-16-2010, 03:00 PM
OpethMike
Instructor

Thanks folks, I'll get the car up after work and check out the sway bar and end links.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:46 PM
jjmoberg
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you find anything? If you have not had the swaybar off recently, dont have poly bushings, and dont have an obviously broken or loose end link I doubt it is sway bar related. It may not make the noise in the air anyway with the suspension unloaded.

These cars do have an ISS. If it is at all designed like the other GM failures this is a big possibility. Literally thousands and thousands of Grand Prixs, Regals, Monte Carlos, Impalas, etc have this low speed only, turning only, clunk.
Old 03-17-2010, 07:06 PM
dbstephens
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to un-bolt and lightly grease the front sway bar bushings. The rubber is old and probably stiff and dry. They might even need to be replaced.

I did this to our 2001 after it began making similar noises @ 50,000 miles. No problems since after 2 years.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 AM
OpethMike
Instructor

Originally Posted by jjmoberg
Did you find anything? If you have not had the swaybar off recently, dont have poly bushings, and dont have an obviously broken or loose end link I doubt it is sway bar related. It may not make the noise in the air anyway with the suspension unloaded.

These cars do have an ISS. If it is at all designed like the other GM failures this is a big possibility. Literally thousands and thousands of Grand Prixs, Regals, Monte Carlos, Impalas, etc have this low speed only, turning only, clunk.
ISS? Not sure what that acronym stands for?

Yes, I finally got time to tonight to investigate this. My end links were a few pounds short of torque spec, so I tightened them up. That wasn't the problem though.

So, I put the car back up on jack stands continued looking. I eventually found that it was being caused by my newly installed stainless steel brake lines. I sheathed them with rubber hose, and voila, clunk/pop sound gone.

Thanks everyone!

Get notified of new replies

To Help diagnosing front end clunk/pop/snap

Quick Reply: Help diagnosing front end clunk/pop/snap