C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A4 Brake Transmission Shift Lock Control Solenoid Replacement

Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 PM
CBuchanan
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A4 Brake Transmission Shift Lock Control Solenoid Replacement

Auto shift is occasionally locking in park, so before it gets worse I order a new solenoid from Bob @ Fichner Chevrolet.
Does anyone have a diagram or photo of where the solenoid is located under the shift lever. I have researched the thread here on the forum and know the console has to come out but the info gets pretty sketchy about what else is required. Does the stick have to be removed, etc.?
If you have any tips or warnings I would appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance,
Carl B
Old 02-12-2010, 11:41 PM
Padrino
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CBuchanan
Auto shift is occasionally locking in park, so before it gets worse I order a new solenoid from Bob @ Fichner Chevrolet.
Does anyone have a diagram or photo of where the solenoid is located under the shift lever. I have researched the thread here on the forum and know the console has to come out but the info gets pretty sketchy about what else is required. Does the stick have to be removed, etc.?
If you have any tips or warnings I would appreciate your input.
Thanks in advance,
Carl B
You do realize you can just unplug the solenoid and just live with the fact you won't need to hit the brakes before taking it out of park. Seems a bit simpler and cheaper and never have to worry about that part breaking in the future.

Padrino
Old 02-13-2010, 08:16 AM
'95 JWG
Intermediate

Where is the solenoid?
Old 02-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Padrino
Pro

Originally Posted by '95 JWG
Where is the solenoid?
Inside the A4's shifter unit. It's a small canister thing about the size of a film container (you guys do remember film in this digital age don't ya'?). Has a small piston rod sticking out one end which extends down to the shifter as the locking unit.

Some guys just pop this rod loose so the solenoid can't be engaged at all. Simple.

Padrino
Old 02-13-2010, 12:46 PM
CBuchanan
Cruising

Padrino,
Thanks for the reply. I would like to replace the solenoid in lieu of disarming it. When you disconnected the the solenoid could you see if it can be removed without removing the shift lever assembly?
Thanks,
Carl in Coronado
Old 02-13-2010, 12:50 PM
CBuchanan
Cruising

'95JW,
That's what I'm trying to find out. Stay tuned someone, maybe Padrino, has the answer as well as what has to be removed to get to it for R&R.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Padrino
Pro

I've got a 'spare' A4 shift unit I've used for the mock-up for my C2 T-Handle setup. I have it sitting here in front of me right now but unfortunately, I can't download any pics to this forum.

You can get at it easily from above without removing the entire shifter from the car. Only you will have to remove the console bezel to get at everything. There are 3 retainer clips (of sort) around the perimeter of the shifter unit part which holds the gear indicator and the boot surround. That you can release from above with a pair of needlenose or flat duckbill pliers.

Your problem area will be the orange shift indicator that feeds inside of the gear indicator will have to be seperated from the white plastic tube which fits over the metal shift lever. The issue with that is the orange part has a shaft about 1/2 long which fits inside a simular shaft on the white plastic tube. This only comes out if you slide the whole indicator leftward to clear and that you won't be able to do until you remove that perimeter ring I mentioned above.

I note you live in Coronado. I'm in Leucadia and if you want to take a drive up you can see the whole thing. I'm here on Monday. Shoot me a PM if you'd care to but I think my directions above are pretty good. Otherwise, I could shoot a few pics and email 'em to you if you'd like and if you can post pics then you could post them here for others to see.

Padrino
Old 02-13-2010, 06:07 PM
CBuchanan
Cruising

Padrino,
Thanks for the info. Sent you a PM. Yes, I will post photo's for others benefit during the R&R.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Padrino
Pro

Originally Posted by CBuchanan
Padrino,
Thanks for the info. Sent you a PM. Yes, I will post photo's for others benefit during the R&R.
Sent you an email with pictures and my phone number. Call if you have questions.

Padrino
Old 02-28-2010, 07:21 PM
CBuchanan
Cruising

Thanks to Padrino for the advice and helpful photos I was able to replace the solenoid very easily. For those who wish to replace the solenoid here is the procedure:

Order the Brake Transmission Shift Lock Control Solenoid from Fichtner Chevrolet, Bob in parts, 800-234-5284. Less than $50.00 shipped and took less than a week.

The solenoid is located directly below the gear selection indicator in the center console. To access it the console must be removed. It is not difficult and if you take your time and use patience to prevent any damage to the parts the whole job takes about 1 hour.

For the steps involved to remove the console I used the Vette Essentials Installation Guide which has step by step photos and instructions for installation of their beautiful shift boot. In this case its perfect for the solenoid replacement through step 5c. www.vetteessentials.com/instructions Print them out and you're ready to get started.

Once you finish Step 5c the base the boot fits around needs to be removed. It is held in place by 3 "pinch clips" located at the 12, 3 and 6O'clock position. Pinch each clip, one at a time, firmly with your fingers or pliers while pulling gently upward. Do not move more than to free each of the pinch clips. Once all clips are free move the unit toward the drivers side enought to let the red shift indicator button slide off the white shaft on the shift lever. Be careful not to break the red indicator button. The photo below shows the base removed and the location of the clips. One clip is seen below the A/C fan ****, another to the right side at the end of the white wire and the last at the bottom below the notch in the foam ring.

Now, with the base layed to the side, you can see the solenoid directly below where the shift indicator was located. It is connect to the base and to the shifter assembly as seen below.

[/IMG]

Disconnect the electrical plug from the solenoid.The solenoid must first be removed at the front lower end. Use the end of a flat blade screwdriver between the lower connection and the white toothed gear attached to the shift lever and pry apart carefully. It will help to move the gear shift lever forward or backward to get more clearance for the lower end to clear the pivot shaft on the white toothed gear. Once the lower end is free swing the loose up and slide off the rear pin toward the drivers side.

[/IMG]

Install the new solenoid at the upper end first, rotate down to the lower position and press in place using a flat blade screwdriver. Replace everything in the reverse order of removal and you're finished.

Since numerous electrical components were disconnected you will have a DIC message regarding the active handling and you may want clear the codes once you start the car.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:22 PM
kadc517
Intermediate

i had the same exact problem did some research and spent 700 dollars was never fixed, i spent an hour disconnecting the solenoid and finally fixed with no mechanical experience. thanks for the info
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM
99 vett babycar
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

nice write up, great pictures.
also, nice assist Padrino
Old 08-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Padrino
Pro

Originally Posted by 99 vett babycar
nice write up, great pictures.
also, nice assist Padrino
My pleasure to have been able to give something back to this forum which has given me a lot of information when I've needed it. Good group of people here all with a common problem...owning a C5

Padrino
Old 08-09-2010, 07:45 PM
bighank
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Simpler solution just pull the terminal to the solenoid

Had similar problem several years ago. Just pulled the plug and the solenoid is no longer active. I always put my foot on the brake when starting the car so no chance it will go anywhere when I take it out of park.
BIGHANK
Old 08-30-2010, 08:36 PM
vett79
Racer

I did the dis-connect a couple summers ago on my '98 A4 and it's worked great. Now I'd like to hook the console light back up for the PRND321. Anybody know which wire supplies power for that?
Old 09-06-2010, 01:20 AM
Siaran
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been fighting this problem intermittently since I bought my car a few years ago. The dealer, a general mech and a transmission guy all had no clue because of course it worked perfectly while it was in the shop. With the instructions from CBuchanan and Padrino, my son was able to easily go in and disconnect the solenoid. Instructions were perfect. I'll think of you both every time I put the car into gear Thank you much!!
Old 10-01-2011, 04:33 PM
A m o u d i
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Clarification

Any idea if this shift lock control solenoid replacement part. will fit in c6 A4 ???
I asked the vendor. He said this part is for c5 and he don't have an idea if it is going to fit in the C6

Last edited by A m o u d i; 10-01-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: Update

Get notified of new replies

To A4 Brake Transmission Shift Lock Control Solenoid Replacement

Old 10-19-2011, 10:33 PM
rcalbuquerque
4th Gear

Thanks for the info on this fix....my local vette shop told me I needed a new shift assembly for around $1000++++ that was about 6 months ago so I just left the car in the garage....took me about 1 hour to get the thing unpluged and back on the road.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 PM
bb1551
3rd Gear

Default Shift lock configuration

The shift lock on my 2005 C6 was a different configuration. The solenoid in the shift lever assembly is riveted in. My solution was to disconnect the electrical connector and safety wire the locking cam back in the unlocked position. Will eventually replace shift assembly when I get back to work.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:24 PM
netexec2
3rd Gear

Default Can't remove the key

Hello,

I simply disconnected the harness running directly to the solenoid and put everything back together. I now cannot get the key to out of the ignition. I can turn it back as far as ACC, but cannot turn it the final click to off and remove the key.

The shifting problem is now fixed and I've confirmed that everything I disconnected is reconnected and working.

Any thoughts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A4 Brake Transmission Shift Lock Control Solenoid Replacement