C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling engine, need shopping list

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 01:08 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Pulling engine, need shopping list

There will be a break in the racing season for me over the hot months of July and August. Time to pull the LS6 motor and balance it. The objective:
1) Balance the rotating parts and rods.
2) Refresh the valve springs and rings
3) Align hone the bores.
4) Pin the main pulley
5) Replace timing chain
6) 380-385 RWHP on the engine, with headers and Haltech intake. More is fine, but I will not compromise durability for performance.

To those ends, I need a shopping list. I've not pulled the engine before. I have pulled the heads and redone the valvetrain. I have a full set of manuals. I have a clean place to work, and an engine stand and hoist. I do not have a lift, so this will be done on jackstands. I like to do my own work, where possible. It leads to increased peace of mind while racing the car. So what do I need? Specialized tools? RTV? Some obscure rebuild kit from Gene? Comments welcome! Thanks.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:17 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This is a decent write up on how to pull the engine from the top:
http://www.cajundude.com/engineswap.htm
Old 06-10-2010, 11:05 AM
099blancoss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12

stroke it maybe? $2275 for a 383 rotating assembly balanced to your door. That would be my only suggestion. After breaking it down and putting it back together more power might be nice?
Old 06-14-2010, 05:20 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoss
stroke it maybe? $2275 for a 383 rotating assembly balanced to your door. That would be my only suggestion. After breaking it down and putting it back together more power might be nice?
More power would be nice, but NASA TTA rules limit me sharply on what I can do. Balancing and so forth are free, but changing stroke or bore by any amount that would matter is verbotten. Thus, my objective is to make the engine stronger and more durable than before, and a modest power gain from the balancing. I'm looking for 380 HP at the rear wheels when done, including headers, deleted cats and a good air filter/bridge.

Get notified of new replies

To Pulling engine, need shopping list

Quick Reply: Pulling engine, need shopping list