C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NO REVERSE! 6spd - What happened? Is it the transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 AM
magnummotors1
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO REVERSE! 6spd - What happened? Is it the transmission?

I have a 1998 with a 6 speed tranny, original clutch, new battery put in 7 months ago and i lost my reverse this past week. All 6 gears shift smoothly, no grinds or flaws. Shifter goes into reverse gear smoothly, but car does not go anywhere. Can someone please tell me what may be the problem, is the transmission done or is it a component of the tranny, a sensor? please help, my car has 60k.
Old 04-04-2010, 01:26 AM
mygiftmycurse
Instructor

I am also intrested in what the problem could be. My reverse either never engages or pops out of gear shortly after it does start moving.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:58 PM
Boricua
Intermediate

Originally Posted by magnummotors1
I have a 1998 with a 6 speed tranny, original clutch, new battery put in 7 months ago and i lost my reverse this past week. All 6 gears shift smoothly, no grinds or flaws. Shifter goes into reverse gear smoothly, but car does not go anywhere. Can someone please tell me what may be the problem, is the transmission done or is it a component of the tranny, a sensor? please help, my car has 60k.
I know this is kinda old, but I seem to have the same problem. The shifter will go smoothly into reverse but after I let go of the clutch it stays in neutral (even with the shifter in reverse). Did you end up fixing yours? And assuming you did, can you tell me what did you do to fix it?

Thx!
Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 PM
PEERPSI
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

PM email address and I can send the version with pictures.

Transmission Jumps Out of Gear
Diagnostic Aids
If the transmission jumps out of gear during deceleration, inspect the components that may allow for the gears or shafts to tip. If the gears or shafts tip, the synchronizer sleeve can disengage from the selector teeth on the speed gear. If the transmission jumps out of gear during acceleration, inspect the components that may not allow full engagement of the synchronizer sleeve to the selector teeth on the speed gear. Insufficient engagement of the selector teeth under torque may cause the transmission to jump out of gear.

Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

A static shift test is performed by shifting into all gear positions with the engine not operating. While performing the test, slowly move the shift lever. Feel for proper movement of the shift lever and transmission internal shift components.

A dynamic shift test is performed by shifting into all gear positions with the engine operating. Test for the correct mesh of the synchronizers sleeve and the speed gear selector teeth. Move the shift lever, and feel for the synchronizer sleeve to release from the gear, then let up on the clutch pedal. Depress the clutch pedal and move the shift lever to engage the gear again, to ensure full travel of the shift components.

This step inspects for worn or damaged transmission or engine mounts. Loose mounts may cause a shock on the transmission allowing for gear disengagement.

This step inspects for the misalignment of the torque tube to transmission. Misalignment may put a bind on the input shaft, allowing for the input shaft or the mainshaft to tip.

This step inspects the pilot bearing and the pilot bearing journal on the input shaft. A worn pilot bearing or input shaft may allow the input shaft to tip, causing gear disengagement.

Step
Action
Yes
No

DEFINITION: Gear disengagement occurs during acceleration or deceleration.

Did you review the Symptoms - Manual Transmission operations and perform the necessary inspections?
Go to Step 2
Go to Symptoms - Manual Transmission

Perform a static shift test.
Test for the following conditions:
Blockage preventing full shift lever movement
Excessive movement in the shift lever
Detent plungers engaging in the shift rails
Synchronizer pressure pieces on the synchronizer sleeves
Shift linkage binding
Shift linkage proper adjustment
Did the transmission shift completely into all gears?
Go to Step 5
Go to Step 3

Remove the shift control shift closeout boot. Refer to Shift Control Shift Closeout Boot Replacement .

Inspect for the following:

Loose mounting
Foreign debris
Did you find and repair the condition?
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 4

Inspect for proper shift linkage adjustment. Refer to Shift Linkage Adjustment .

Go to Step 11
Go to Step 5

Perform a dynamic shift test on the transmission.
Test for the following conditions:
Synchronizer sleeve engagement to the speed gear selector teeth
Detent plungers engaging in the shift rails
Did the transmission shift completely into all gears?
Go to Step 6
Go to Step 9

Inspect the engine and/or transmission mounts. Refer to Transmission Mount Replacement in Rear Drive Axle and Engine Mount Inspection in Engine Mechanical - 5.7L.

Go to Step 11
Go to Step 7

Inspect the clutch housing for loose bolts or misalignment.

Are there any loose bolts or misalignment?
Go to Step 10
Go to Step 9

Tighten any loose housing bolts and/or align the housing . Refer to Clutch Assembly Replacement in Clutch.

Go to Step 11
Go to Step 9

Remove the transmission. Refer to Transmission Replacement .
Remove the clutch assembly. Refer to Clutch Assembly Replacement in Clutch.
Inspect the pilot bearing for being faulty.
Inspect the input shaft for excessive wear at the pilot bearing.
Go to Step 11
Go to Step 10

Disassemble the transmission. Refer to Transmission Disassemble in the Transmission Unit Repair Manual.
Inspect the following components for wear or damage:
The shift rails
The detent plungers and springs
The shift forks
The synchronizer sleeve and speed gear selector teeth
The mainshaft to input shaft bearing and journals
The speed gear bearings and journals
The speed gear axial clearance
The mainshaft center and rear bearings
Go to Step 11
Go to Diagnostic Aids

Operate the system in order to verify the repair.

Did you correct the condition?
System OK
Go to Step 1

Shift Linkage Adjustment

Apply the parking brake.
Remove the shift control closeout boot. Refer to Shift Control Shift Closeout Boot Replacement .
Place the shifter into NEUTRAL.
Press down to engage the shift control neutral lock pin.

Loosen the transmission shift rod clamp bolt.
Loosen the shift control mounting bolts.
Check that the shift control locator (on the underside of the shift control) is installed into the shifter bracket on the side of the driveline support assembly.

Notice
Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

Tighten the shift control mounting bolts. Tighten
Tighten the shift control mounting bolts to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Tighten the transmission shift rod clamp bolt. Tighten
Tighten the transmission shift rod clamp bolt to 30 N·m (22 lb ft).

Lift to release the shift control neutral lock pin.
Install the shift control closeout boot. Refer to Shift Control Shift Closeout Boot Replacement .
Release the parking brake.

Get notified of new replies

To NO REVERSE! 6spd - What happened? Is it the transmission?

Quick Reply: NO REVERSE! 6spd - What happened? Is it the transmission?