C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head lights come up when i turn on parking lights..

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
hdff
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default head lights come up when i turn on parking lights..

i out driving at sunset the other night and just wanted to cruise with the parking lights on and when i turned them on the head lights came up. i know that if i turn on the head lights and go back to the running light position that the lights will stay up but that is not what i did. i tried it 4 or 5 times and i had the same results every time. anyone have any suggestions? and before anyone suggests it no i don't want to swap out to those hidious looking non pop up looking head lights like on the c6.....
Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM
mtndv8
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by hdff
i out driving at sunset the other night and just wanted to cruise with the parking lights on and when i turned them on the head lights came up. i know that if i turn on the head lights and go back to the running light position that the lights will stay up but that is not what i did. i tried it 4 or 5 times and i had the same results every time. anyone have any suggestions? and before anyone suggests it no i don't want to swap out to those hidious looking non pop up looking head lights like on the c6.....
Have you changed anything in there, HID kit maybe...?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM
AnteVenom
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Daytona Jam 1 Veteran

You probably have the twilight option set so the lights come on automatically when it is getting dark outside (or even inside a garage etc).

Anyway, on the DIC, press options and scroll through to see if twilight sentinal is on and if so turn it off.

There should be a write-up in your owner's manual discussing the process for scrolling through and setting them off.

Hope this helps

Old 04-05-2010, 12:44 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Originally Posted by mtndv8
That was my first thought too. Try it with the hi-beams on.

Peter
Old 04-05-2010, 02:03 PM
justanotherdoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had this as an early stage symptom of the nylon gear going out. Seemed to be related to the electric motor rotation indexing. Self corrected back to normal once the nylon gear was swapped for the brass one.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
hdff
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by mtndv8
yes i put an hid on but i don't see why that would make em come up on the running light setting. i do have to go to the high beams to get them to go down.

Originally Posted by AnteVenom
You probably have the twilight option set so the lights come on automatically when it is getting dark outside (or even inside a garage etc).

Anyway, on the DIC, press options and scroll through to see if twilight sentinal is on and if so turn it off.

There should be a write-up in your owner's manual discussing the process for scrolling through and setting them off.

Hope this helps

no i don't have the twilight on, i don't like that feature cause i like to control when my lights come on and off and i like to run with running lights at sundown. i have only had this car for 9 mos and don't know if i have ever tried this before but have done it on another c5
Originally Posted by lionelhutz
That was my first thought too. Try it with the hi-beams on.

Peter
lows or highs on they still pop up when i go to the 1st position on the switch

Originally Posted by justanotherdoe
I had this as an early stage symptom of the nylon gear going out. Seemed to be related to the electric motor rotation indexing. Self corrected back to normal once the nylon gear was swapped for the brass one.
hummmmm... i do have a headlight gear going bad, i was looking at brass gears this morning. which gear did you go with and how hard was it to install? i have seen 2 different kinds. but i still don't understand why the headlights would try to do anything when i go to the 1st/running light position

Last edited by hdff; 04-05-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Got uid0
Le Mans Master

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

you need the resistors that one of the vendors sells with their hid kits to eliminate this issue.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 AM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Ya, fix that gear and you should be OK.

Personally, I like the gear with the rubber since it provides some give when the motor hits the end of travel, but people use both successfully. However, it seems the supplied bushing piece can break up quickly so it might be best to re-use the one in the motor.

Peter
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM
justanotherdoe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hummmmm... i do have a headlight gear going bad, i was looking at brass gears this morning. which gear did you go with and how hard was it to install? i have seen 2 different kinds. but i still don't understand why the headlights would try to do anything when i go to the 1st/running light position
I got this kit from Ecklers:

http://www.ecklers.com/product.asp?p...1&dept_id=1154

Just followed the instructions, took a couple of hours. Not sure why either, but the first cycle after gear replacement cleared the symptom.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 AM
ICULUKN-C5
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

on ebay there is a kit for about 50 bucks.
I agree though that lights popping up is a sign of a gear starting to go south.

Get notified of new replies

To head lights come up when i turn on parking lights..

Quick Reply: head lights come up when i turn on parking lights..