C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need New Clutch..... Which one??

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:41 PM
baezi z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need New Clutch..... Which one??

Hi

I am looking to buy a new clutch, it´s starting to slip...
i´m running Spec 3 6 puc

i´ve got N/a +500rwhp 500TQ and planning Nos 100-150 shot in future

i drag race a lot, and cruise around on the streets a lot too.

I´m concidering to buy Spec 3+ and steel flywheel.

What´s other clutches(levels) is are there for my setup and future plans??

thanks Baezi
Old 04-05-2010, 08:15 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

sounds like you need a twin. RPS and ACT seem to be the most popular with the least grief. ive been researching clutches on here for a few days, theres some info to be found if you search it up.. but its a bit of a painstaking process until you get the feel for the buzzwords.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:32 PM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

IMO you don't need to go to a twin disc at your power level.
I've been running a Textralia 0Z700 six puck for over 4 years and its been great. I drag race and do a few HPDE's a year and street drive it as much as I can. I know others here on CF have had problems with theirs, maybe I've been lucky, but mine has taken everything I've given it and still works perfectly. I can slip it off the line with my ET Streets at the track and it has handled a bunch of hard launches without any issues. FWIW, when it finally does crap out, I'm getting another one!

Jimbo
Old 04-06-2010, 03:33 AM
baezi z06
Burning Brakes

I have heard people talk about the twin is the thing today...

But is it??

I wante my clutch to hold 500rwTq easy and when i decide to NOS, it has to hold 600-650 rwtq too atleast, whith out i need to buy me a new clutch after 1-2 times at the track.

I´ve only driven whith Spec and i have liked it a lot, but the driveability is not the best, but i don´t know how other clutches work soo.... for me to go to spec again is a good change...

SPEC 3+ sound good to me it´s susposed to hold 950TQ , but that´s not Twin??

then there is clutches like centerforce, monster, Textralia 0Z700 and others...

Jimbo: would your clutch hold some NOS? you think?

thanks guys

Baezi
Old 04-06-2010, 07:48 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I have a RPS twin Street. I will NEVER purchase anything again from RPS.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:34 AM
baezi z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by bhoch
I have a RPS twin Street. I will NEVER purchase anything again from RPS.

Why??
Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by baezi z06
Why??
I had one put in in Dec. It squeals like crazy when pulling out. Some times squeals when shifting up through the gears. Discussions with RPS and with the folks that put my clutch in all say that it just needs to seat and that it will squeal. If I knew that before the upgrade I would have went with something else. I've put over 4K miles of daily driving on my car + LGM tried to get it to "seat". - it still needs to seat. I can't imagine how many miles it will take to have it seat. If it's not done "seating" till I get the $$ saved up to have another clutch installed, I will pay to have it removed (I don't think I am a good enough mechanic to do it myself).
Old 04-06-2010, 10:20 AM
ZZOOM06
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE

Jimbo: would your clutch hold some NOS? you think?

thanks guys

Baezi[/QUOTE]

The 0Z700 is supposed to be good for 700/700rwhp/tq
I think it would hold, but have no plans to ever run NOS, this car is
plenty fast enough for this old man!
Old 04-06-2010, 10:42 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

I just took out a RAM Dual and replaced it with a Spec 3+ and aluminu FW. The RAM was a great clutch but the rattle was out of character with the car and just bugged me. I'm still breaking in the 3+ but so far so good. It comes with a bronze treatment on the disc to assist in break in. I've got a little "growl" at engagement but it's going away so I think it will dissapear completely. It's very streetable at this point and I think it will only get better.

Peter Pan has been running one for a while and loves his. That's a big reason I went with it.

Just my $.02
Old 04-06-2010, 11:10 AM
baezi z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by WKMCD
I just took out a RAM Dual and replaced it with a Spec 3+ and aluminu FW. The RAM was a great clutch but the rattle was out of character with the car and just bugged me. I'm still breaking in the 3+ but so far so good. It comes with a bronze treatment on the disc to assist in break in. I've got a little "growl" at engagement but it's going away so I think it will dissapear completely. It's very streetable at this point and I think it will only get better.

Peter Pan has been running one for a while and loves his. That's a big reason I went with it.

Just my $.02
Yea i used to run Spec3 + at first and i loved it , aggresive but good.

But tell me do you guys know diffirence between spec 3+ and spec 5?

why run alumnium flywheel rather then steel...? i know it´s better response...

was told steel is better for drag racing/launching...

thanks
baezi
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

well hell, i figured on the twin because of the huge gain in torque you'd get from the juice and you said you were already at 500/500.

literally every clutch available for the vette has a bad thread on this forum and im sure theres even more i probably have 4 hours worth of reading in it.

i rode in a twin turbo c5 with a spec 3+ last weekend and it worked great. the guy beats it to death and so far so good. his car puts down like 520/540 at the tires on a very low boost setting. but i've read at least 5 threads about the spec 3/3+ pissin people off for some reason or another so that steered me away from it. i had a spec 3 in my notchback mustang back 7 or so years ago and i loved it actually.

after all the research and i think im more confused than when i started. not on doing the work etc thats cake for me.. its just that the vette + clutch subject is beyond touchy.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
baezi z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by CoreyZ06
well hell, i figured on the twin because of the huge gain in torque you'd get from the juice and you said you were already at 500/500.

literally every clutch available for the vette has a bad thread on this forum and im sure theres even more i probably have 4 hours worth of reading in it.

i rode in a twin turbo c5 with a spec 3+ last weekend and it worked great. the guy beats it to death and so far so good. his car puts down like 520/540 at the tires on a very low boost setting. but i've read at least 5 threads about the spec 3/3+ pissin people off for some reason or another so that steered me away from it. i had a spec 3 in my notchback mustang back 7 or so years ago and i loved it actually.

after all the research and i think im more confused than when i started. not on doing the work etc thats cake for me.. its just that the vette + clutch subject is beyond touchy.

true true

i´m leaning toward the Spec 3+ and steel flywheel for the budget, the Twin is so expensive...

Baezi
Old 04-07-2010, 12:47 PM
zeevette
Race Director

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by bhoch
I had one put in in Dec. It squeals like crazy when pulling out. Some times squeals when shifting up through the gears. Discussions with RPS and with the folks that put my clutch in all say that it just needs to seat and that it will squeal. If I knew that before the upgrade I would have went with something else. I've put over 4K miles of daily driving on my car + LGM tried to get it to "seat". - it still needs to seat. I can't imagine how many miles it will take to have it seat. If it's not done "seating" till I get the $$ saved up to have another clutch installed, I will pay to have it removed (I don't think I am a good enough mechanic to do it myself).
Which model of RPS "Street" twin did you use? The more expensive one, or the organic?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:06 PM
95vettski
Melting Slicks

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Spec 3+ !!! Friend has one behind a 402ci with a maggie and puts down 700rwtq and the clutch holds!
Old 04-07-2010, 07:23 PM
bhoch
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by zeevette
Which model of RPS "Street" twin did you use? The more expensive one, or the organic?
Organic.

Get notified of new replies

To Need New Clutch..... Which one??

Quick Reply: Need New Clutch..... Which one??