C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DieHard Gold South battery low CCA

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 01:04 PM
banner1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DieHard Gold South battery low CCA

My current DieHard Gold is from 2002, and it is starting to crank over pretty slow. I was about to go out and get another one just like it, but they have only DieHard Gold (SOUTH) at my Sears in Louisiana.

The thing that concerns me is that it is only 550 CCA. That seems awfully low. I realize that being a 'South' battery it is optimized for this climate and it will never really be 0 degrees F down here, but doesn't that seem low?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tive+Batteries

I drive my car about once a week, and charge it via CTEK once a week.
Old 04-09-2010, 08:38 AM
KGoodwin
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I change my battery every four years whether it needs it or not. Between a good percentage of the batteries leaking acid through the terminal (do you know what is under your battery tray? Hint: expensive stuff) coupled with the aspect that they usually die without much warning - routine changes seem like a cheap option. Just not worth the hassle of leaving the wife stranded somewhere since I can almost guarantee that it will never die on the mechanic of the household. I just purchased a new one and noticed that the non proration period was 3 years with an 8 year overall warranty period. This tells me that 4 years is about the expected lifetime of the battery. The new battery has an 800 CCA rating and the slightly cheaper version was 700 CCA.
Old 04-09-2010, 10:35 AM
bumble-z
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If your going to have a Sear's battery in your Vette, go to the premium tier Platinum series. These C/5's eat batteries up ! Best bet to get the most out of these batteries is a battery tender hooked up when not in use.(trickle charge) Good luck.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Seriously, if you drive your car regularly and thus, keep the battery well-charged, you can go with almost any Costco Kirkland, Walmart MAXX or AC Delco Professional battery and get a minimum of 5 years of life out of it. The AC Delco Professional batteries carry a 50-month free replacement warranty - best in the industry.

Hotter climates = shorter life. If a battery delivers 7 years of life in a moderate climate area (like San Diego), the same battery may not see 6 years in a hotter climate area.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:13 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by banner1
My current DieHard Gold is from 2002, and it is starting to crank over pretty slow. I was about to go out and get another one just like it, but they have only DieHard Gold (SOUTH) at my Sears in Louisiana.

The thing that concerns me is that it is only 550 CCA. That seems awfully low. I realize that being a 'South' battery it is optimized for this climate and it will never really be 0 degrees F down here, but doesn't that seem low?

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...tive+Batteries

I drive my car about once a week, and charge it via CTEK once a week.
You got your moneys worth out of that battery
Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 AM
banner1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I got there, they did also have type 78 DieHard Gold (south) battery with 660 CCA. I got that one instead of the 550 CCA version.

They decoded the date on the old DieHard Gold battery and it was actually 9 years old. Had it not been for a few times this winter I went 3 and 4 weeks without driving or charging it, it would have gone longer.

Cleaned the udder behind the battery, threw it in the car and it started right up.

Last edited by banner1; 04-11-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To DieHard Gold South battery low CCA

Quick Reply: DieHard Gold South battery low CCA