C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tips on Shocks/Sways/Lowering the C5

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 08:35 PM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

or is it......(cont)

FYI- QA1 is coming out with a $1250 price point single 12pt adjustable coilover for the C5 in a month or 2.

I might be onto something else- using QA1 website, the C4 front shocks are 2" shorter 14.5" mounted w/ 9.5" compressed (5" travel). The only issue is the rears, the special little bottom mount we have is C5 specific.............

stay tuned.......
Old 05-15-2010, 12:36 PM
kingrobby25
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Great write up and thanks for the info, but you might want to check the minimum focusing distance on your camera. I think you exceeded it.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:38 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by kingrobby25
Great write up and thanks for the info, but you might want to check the minimum focusing distance on your camera. I think you exceeded it.
a photographer, I am not
Old 05-16-2010, 11:54 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default C6 Z51 Rear Sway bar

I got around to making the spacers today. And cleaned up the nasty grease and used Teflon Tape like I did in the front. I also raised the rear up a bit more. I will measure in a few days after it settles. We have a storm hitting tonight and may last for several days.
I did take it for a spin and I have to say that after raising it up, the car rides soooo much better.

Not a fan of this look here. I hope the Teflon proves to be a good "clean" option.
Name:  7b23a617.jpg
Views: 2109
Size:  61.2 KB

Here you can see where the bar was rubbing on the cradle.

1 of the new spacers....
Name:  53fd9f81.jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  82.5 KB

All buttoned up......
Name:  d442b63c.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  70.0 KB
Name:  fa2e7277.jpg
Views: 2095
Size:  68.5 KB
Name:  8ca1cd21.jpg
Views: 2087
Size:  63.5 KB
Name:  b1245c63.jpg
Views: 2050
Size:  50.4 KB
Name:  4bf0292a.jpg
Views: 2133
Size:  83.9 KB
Old 05-17-2010, 10:02 AM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN
I got around to making the spacers today. And cleaned up the nasty grease and used Teflon Tape like I did in the front. I also raised the rear up a bit more. I will measure in a few days after it settles. We have a storm hitting tonight and may last for several days.
I did take it for a spin and I have to say that after raising it up, the car rides soooo much better.

Not a fan of this look here. I hope the Teflon proves to be a good "clean" option.

Here you can see where the bar was rubbing on the cradle.

1 of the new spacers....

All buttoned up......

Brackets look good- now that we see the rub, we know that the sway would have a hard time rotating like it's suppose to.

I'm not sold on the teflon tape allowing the sway to rotate, there's no lubrication in teflon. Seems it will grab the bar and the rubber will grab the tape, same as not using anything at all?

Guess we need to see if someone will chime in on why the grease supplied is so sticky, almost seems like it won't allow much movement either. Seems we could use a milder grease for more rotation and less squeeks.

You'll have to keep us aprised if you get any new noises from the tape.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:04 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

I have had the front done for a couple hundred miles now with no noise. Looking at it, you can see by the coloration on the teflon that the bar has moved. Still too early to tell but I'm gonna keep an eye and ear on them. If it doesn't see to hold up or work like I have read about, I'm gonna just use Phil Wood grease. I've used it on just about everything since I was a kid. It's waterproof and stays clean. I see having to regrease often though as it seems to just squeeze /press right out of the bushing.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 PM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When raising or lowering, how do you adjust the end links to eliminate preload?
Is anyone using heim joint end links?
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by socalman
or is it......(cont)

FYI- QA1 is coming out with a $1250 price point single 12pt adjustable coilover for the C5 in a month or 2.

I might be onto something else- using QA1 website, the C4 front shocks are 2" shorter 14.5" mounted w/ 9.5" compressed (5" travel). The only issue is the rears, the special little bottom mount we have is C5 specific.............

stay tuned.......
I'm going to have to figure out something soon. I took the car out for a bit of a romp today; and when I was taking a corner hard and accelerating out at a decent speed, I hit a bump in the road that caused the rear to bottom and then bounce...which then caused the back end to start coming out from under me. I felt that quick enough to get out of the the throttle before TC/AH had to take over for me, but that really bummed me out.

I may just go coilovers and be done with it, but I'm not really interested in going any lower than my current stance...maybe another 1/4 inch so I can justify the expense. Shame there's no real happy medium.

Last edited by MTPZ06; 05-23-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:38 AM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by MTPZ06
I'm going to have to figure out something soon. I took the car out for a bit of a romp today; and when I was taking a corner hard and accelerating out at a decent speed, I hit a bump in the road that caused the rear to bottom and then bounce...which then caused the back end to start coming out from under me. I felt that quick enough to get out of the the throttle before TC/AH had to take over for me, but that really bummed me out.

I may just go coilovers and be done with it, but I'm not really interested in going any lower than my current stance...maybe another 1/4 inch so I can justify the expense. Shame there's no real happy medium.
I was going to try Z06 springs, but since you've got a Z06 and the problem still exists, I guess that's not a viable alternative. I thought the higher spring rate would keep the car up better on bumps, but apparently not. I've tried every shock company out there, measurements, C4 shocks (which are shorter, but the angle of the front mount won't work, and obviously the rear won't work) so, like you, I guess I'm waiting to get coilovers.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:43 AM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by flynhi
When raising or lowering, how do you adjust the end links to eliminate preload?
Is anyone using heim joint end links?
I'm not up on adjustable endlinks- I do see that people use them when lowering, and am interested in finding out how they help with preload, and how to adjust them as well- anyone?
Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

Anyone know when the QA1 coilovers are supposed to come out?
Old 05-24-2010, 04:33 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Anyone know when the QA1 coilovers are supposed to come out?
I emailed them last week and was told 'a month or 2'.
Old 05-26-2010, 11:18 AM
deadcafe
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just did it, so not many. But I took it on a nice 80 mile cruise on a bad freeway and a twisty canyon run with a passenger (wife). She said the car rides much better, and I was really able to crank on the hair pins in Carbon Canyon with the C6Z sway bar. I feel like I have some shocks again.
Thank you very much, You were a huge help man!!
Old 05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
IRON MAIDEN
Melting Slicks

I emailed them last week and was told 'a month or 2'.
Have you seen any photos or any info on them? Did they give you a price point?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:30 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Have you seen any photos or any info on them? Did they give you a price point?
It's suppose to be the QA1 adjustable (single) shock w/ coil over starting at $1250. No pics or other info as to why they are less, but I think for lowering purposes, we don't need too much fandangled adjustments. 12 points of adjustment would be fine.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

....there's no lubrication in teflon....
Looks like someone needs a lesson on polytetrafluoroethylene.

Brief synopsis: PTFE is almost always used as a lubricant. Think of the pipe tape you use on iron pipe...what you're actually doing is lubricating the threads, so that you are able to insert the male end more fully into the female end and get the tapered threads to seal. The pipe tape itself doesn't have any sealing effect.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:29 AM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I am very interested in this thread. I know I had my share of lowered car woes. I have a set of Pfadt inverted shocks on my car now, and they ride a million times better at my lowered height. I tried QA1's and did not like them, they were used, so maybe they just need a rebuild. Stock shocks and springs were a joke and bottomed way too much. I switched to Z06 springs and sways and that helped stop the bottoming, but the biggest improvement was the Pfadt shocks. I will get some measurements for you guys so you can see where I am at for ride height and how much travel I have left.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips on Shocks/Sways/Lowering the C5

Old 07-13-2010, 10:23 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Trios
Looks like someone needs a lesson on polytetrafluoroethylene.

Brief synopsis: PTFE is almost always used as a lubricant. Think of the pipe tape you use on iron pipe...what you're actually doing is lubricating the threads, so that you are able to insert the male end more fully into the female end and get the tapered threads to seal. The pipe tape itself doesn't have any sealing effect.

I'd say somebody needs a lesson in being a Pipe Fitter. 15 years walking the joists putting together gas lines. PTFE in it's 'plumbers tape' form is good for one rotation and does temporarily lubricate the threads for tightening, but it's main function is to cram the threads to seal. I can get a pipe just as tight with or without pipe dope/teflon tape, just whip out a bigger wrench. Under 30lbs of pressure, it will leak without the tape/dope. Once you back off the threads, or loosen the pipe, the teflon tape tears up like toilet paper.

A sway bar rotates, it will tear and you will be rubber to metal and squeek- it will not last as long as grease.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_seal_tape

Last edited by socalman; 07-13-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:28 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Pete W
I am very interested in this thread. I know I had my share of lowered car woes. I have a set of Pfadt inverted shocks on my car now, and they ride a million times better at my lowered height. I tried QA1's and did not like them, they were used, so maybe they just need a rebuild. Stock shocks and springs were a joke and bottomed way too much. I switched to Z06 springs and sways and that helped stop the bottoming, but the biggest improvement was the Pfadt shocks. I will get some measurements for you guys so you can see where I am at for ride height and how much travel I have left.
From everything I've researched, Pfadt shocks are the same length and have the same travel. There is a definate amount you can bring these cars down before they're riding on the stops. Z06 springs will obviously be stiffer and if you can lower the car within 1" of bump stop, with very firm springs and shocks, you may not hit the stops, but you'll feel like you're riding on bricks when you hit the street ruts/holes.

To get down where I started, coilovers are the only solution. It's too bad someone won't make a shorter shock.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:03 PM
socalman
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10

Finally!! the QA1 coil over for C5/6 is here- for under $1280 through Ecklers (maybe cheaper direct, I'll be calling them tomorrow). Single adjustable, 18 adjustments. Double adjustable are available for what looks like about $1800. Can get 450lb, 550lb and 650lb springs at no additional cost.

450 is for street
550 street/drag
650 Autocross/Track

http://www.ecklers.com/corvette-coil...1997-2010.html

Quick Reply: Tips on Shocks/Sways/Lowering the C5