C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CV Boot Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:56 PM
9T3JIM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CV Boot Repair

After discovering green grease on my rear wheel it looks like I need to put a new CV boot on. Does anyone have a link for directions on how to do this? I've tried the search but can't find anything. TIA!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Nick1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps a search will help. I think that a two piece aftermarket boot may be available which would make things much easier.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 AM
Fast one
Safety Car

Received 348 Likes on 220 Posts

A vendor had these on this site not too long ago, try the search again or check the vendor list; they were expensive. I bought a set last year from a national chain but they don't sell them anymore which is ok since they didn't fit well and the supplied clamps didn't fit.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:25 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

From any dealer or from a forum supplier you are looking for part #88952506 for the outer and #88952507 for the inner. The service manual covers replacement.
Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM
chevylad
Pro

I've done it before on my vette and another car. It's a pain for something so simple. The whole CV has to come out and pulled apart.

My buddy found a place in town here that rebuilt it and rebooted for $20.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:38 PM
OneFast1
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 9T3JIM
After discovering green grease on my rear wheel it looks like I need to put a new CV boot on. Does anyone have a link for directions on how to do this? I've tried the search but can't find anything. TIA!
Just my 2 cents, but I have learned not to do anything until I find out how much it would cost me to have it done. Does anyone know the shop costs on this work?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Ron Dittmer
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 71 Posts

You might be pleasently surprised how affordable a rebuilt CV axle costs from Autozone or a Napa type of store. I have never replaced one on a Corvette , but on most cars they cost under $100. I 've done many other cars where I volunteer. It isn't bad with the right tools.....tie rod spreader and the right socket. Exception is when a CV axle has a big bearing half way across an extra long spance, and it's rusted in it's retainer. Honda right side CV axle rings a bell.

As others have mentioned, you can get yours rebuilt cheap. One thing I've tried a couple times with poor results are those add-on split boots with those screws. They don't last, "Period".

If my Corvette had a messed up CV boot, I would surely do the job myself. The special tools can often be borrowed at no charge from the store you purchased the part from.

Last edited by Ron Dittmer; 05-11-2010 at 03:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:45 PM
chevylad
Pro

Try and find an OEM boot if you do it yourself. The rubber was much thicker than the aftermarket replacement boot.

I don't remember needing any special tools. I had to seperate the ball joint, but the nut hits something above it and can be used to pop the joint loose. There were a few other small things along the way, but once you have clearance the joint just pops out. I think I just used a couple of big screwdrivers.

Taking the CV joint was a little bit of a pain. Somebody had pictures of the retaining ring (I think it was a ring and not a clip). You clip the boot snaps off boot and the manual shows hitting the end off with a 2x4 and a mallet. That didn't work for me so I rigged something with my 20 ton press (sorry I guess that qualifies as a special tool). If I didn't mess the the 2x4 it would have taking about an hour or two to do the job.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:51 PM
SDPC
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Pick up a complete rebuilt stocker that is cryo treated from Oreilly's for $60. SO much easier.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:52 PM
ericdwong
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would not use the split style boot. Get the GM repair kit as noted above. It's doable with some creativity and elbow grease, I got 2 boards and a hammer to seperate the CV joint. Also, DO NOT stretch the new CV boot while putting it in or you risk tearing the boot (don't ask me how I know ) So far so good, and it's been 4 years, 50k miles.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:50 PM
9T3JIM
Pro

Thanks for all the responses. heres a break down of different cost. Have dealer install a new axle assembly 600.00, I can purchase GM boot kit 58.00, new axle assembly 302.00, rebuilt axle assembly from NAPA 62.00.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:21 PM
3rd Childhood
Advanced

Default One more thought

As a retired engineer who worked for a CV manufacturer for 28 years I thought I would offer the following. Removing the outboard joint from the shaft is fairly easy without special tools. You should not remove it by whacking the outer joint either directly or using boards as this can easily lead to cracking the cage inside the joint. The easy and safe way is to put the shaft in a vice. Pop the large clamp off so you have access the the cv joint. Use a hefty hammer and a heavy drift pin (I use an old motorcycle axle) against the inner race (this is the splined metal piece you actually see engaging the shaft). The circlip which holds the joint on requires great force to pull off, but comes off fairly easily with a shock load. Usually 2 or 3 raps in the manner described knocks it right off.

By the way, I concur with those who advised against aftermarket boots of any kind. The boot is by far the weakest link in the drive shaft. While the OE boots require driveshaft removal and are a little more expensive, they are well worth it because the aftermarket stuff on this particular product are junk.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:08 AM
9T3JIM
Pro

After reading all the replies I've decided to go with a new axle assembly from GM. The main reason I'm going this way is the quality of the boots and also the fact that the axle may or may not have been turned during the refinishing process on a rebuilt axle. One final question, does the rear spring have to be completely removed or just just disconnected on the side I'm working on?
Old 05-14-2010, 06:58 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

After reading all the replies I've decided to go with a new axle assembly from GM. The main reason I'm going this way is the quality of the boots and also the fact that the axle may or may not have been turned during the refinishing process on a rebuilt axle. One final question, does the rear spring have to be completely removed or just just disconnected on the side I'm working on?
You do not mess with the rear spring. At all.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by 3rd Childhood
As a retired engineer who worked for a CV manufacturer for 28 years I thought I would offer the following. Removing the outboard joint from the shaft is fairly easy without special tools. You should not remove it by whacking the outer joint either directly or using boards as this can easily lead to cracking the cage inside the joint. The easy and safe way is to put the shaft in a vice. Pop the large clamp off so you have access the the cv joint. Use a hefty hammer and a heavy drift pin (I use an old motorcycle axle) against the inner race (this is the splined metal piece you actually see engaging the shaft). The circlip which holds the joint on requires great force to pull off, but comes off fairly easily with a shock load. Usually 2 or 3 raps in the manner described knocks it right off.

By the way, I concur with those who advised against aftermarket boots of any kind. The boot is by far the weakest link in the drive shaft. While the OE boots require driveshaft removal and are a little more expensive, they are well worth it because the aftermarket stuff on this particular product are junk.

Hope this helps.
Nice write-up! Thanks
Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Who's the parts supplier ?

Not all rebuilt CV axle assy are created equal. I always get the better mfg'er Moog and not the cheaper TRW.

Someone mentioned split CV boots. They are a joke.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:10 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

I just did this. I have a link to a CF write up and all of the directions from the GM manual. shoot me a PM if you'd like the info I have. it was a relatively straighforward job. I'd never done it and am proud to say I did!!

Get notified of new replies

To CV Boot Repair

Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 PM
CoreyZ06
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did this job on a volvo. nightmare.

you made the right choice in just buying a whole new part. good for you.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:02 AM
9T3JIM
Pro

Just a quick update. I used 00 Rooster's instructions on how to do this, unbolt the upper control arm and the shock from the frame and the axle will come right out. I had the axle out in 30-40 minutes of starting the job. A problem came up when a spring clip that should have been included in the box was never there or it fell out somewhere. Anyway I'll have to order a new clip and should be able finish up this week sometime. Special thanks to 00 Rooster and to all who have responded to this thread!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:25 PM
00 Rooster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Just a quick update. I used 00 Rooster's instructions on how to do this, unbolt the upper control arm and the shock from the frame and the axle will come right out. I had the axle out in 30-40 minutes of starting the job. A problem came up when a spring clip that should have been included in the box was never there or it fell out somewhere. Anyway I'll have to order a new clip and should be able finish up this week sometime. Special thanks to 00 Rooster and to all who have responded to this thread!
no problem! I just hope you get the clip soon and get your car back on the road. I'm glad to help...I've received so much help from this site it's nice to give a bit back (even if it is just passing along other people's write ups)

Quick Reply: CV Boot Repair