C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Siphon Pump

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 05:57 PM
ForJJ
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Siphon Pump

My 1999 stopped running with 1/2 tank of gas. I added about 5 gallons, and it ran for a few minutes, then stopped again. Is this the fuel pump of the siphon pump? As I understand, the fuel pump should be working, or it wouldn't start at all. any help would be appreciated, I don't want to replace both pumps if I don't need to...

thanks for the help

Jason
Old 05-11-2010, 06:48 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by ForJJ
My 1999 stopped running with 1/2 tank of gas. I added about 5 gallons, and it ran for a few minutes, then stopped again. Is this the fuel pump of the siphon pump? As I understand, the fuel pump should be working, or it wouldn't start at all. any help would be appreciated, I don't want to replace both pumps if I don't need to...

thanks for the help

Jason
If you have 5 gallons in the tank, then you need to evaluate your fuel pressure at the rail.....and check for bleed down. Just because the car starts, doesn't mean the fuel pump is working properly.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:19 PM
ForJJ
3rd Gear

So, should I just replace both pumps?
Old 05-11-2010, 09:30 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 74 Likes on 70 Posts

So, should I just replace both pumps?
Absolutely not. Troubleshoot first. Make sure the pump runs as advertised. Check pressure and bleed down at the rail. Make sure the fuel pump relay is operating properly.

You may very well have a sending unit, or transfer problem for that matter, but if you have 5 gallons in the car, she should run!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Trios
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

thanks for the help

Jason
The siphon pump isn't a pump at all. It's just a siphon, and it won't work without the actual fuel pump running.

That being said, if you put 5 gallons in your tank, it went into the driver's side tank. That's the tank with the actual pump in it, so if the car isn't running, you need to troubleshoot THAT pump/the fuel system in general.

Bottom line? Listen to lucky131969.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:21 PM
ssdungeon
Racer

I have the same problem. Now when the 408 was installed this was blocked off. It is the return line. I just want someone to verify if this could be why my second tank wont fill. I just blew through the lines and replaced the fuel filter(justbecause the last one wasnt replaced witht the engine) the same problem is still there but look at this as my return line is definately blocked off. Pics in this thread.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/genera...8-install.html

Not hijacking this thread just seriously want help here too bro.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Siphon Pump

Quick Reply: Fuel Siphon Pump