C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally..Convertible top leaks repaired..

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 11:57 AM
GreenDream
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Finally..Convertible top leaks repaired..

My 2000 Vert leaked like I didn't have the top up at all. Water just poured in over the windows and especially down from where the top meets the pillar. I spent a year trying to stop it. I used dowels to plump up the weatherstrip. I used RTV in the places I knew it was leaking. I adjusted the tension a hundred times. Tilted the windows as far in as they would go. Nothing worked. The thing is, the weatherstrip looked good ! No tears, no rips, no distortion.. I finally bit the bullet, paid the Corvette tax and bought the six pieces of weather stripping for the top. I was amazed when I removed the old and compared it to the new at how much the 10 year old strip had SHRUNK... Installed the new, made a few adjustments and hit it hard with direct streams of water. Perfect.. no drips or leaks. I can now safely wash it and not worry about getting caught in the rain which always seems to happen at Michigan car shows...
Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 PM
molten vett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same problem with my 2000,if you don't mond me asking what was the damage? and who did you order through? one more question,what 6 pieces did you order?
Old 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM
tony car4a
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by molten vett
I have the same problem with my 2000,if you don't mond me asking what was the damage? and who did you order through? one more question,what 6 pieces did you order?
Yes, I'd like to know too. Not leaking so much as air noise at around 70MPH. Thanks
Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 PM
GreenDream
Pro

Originally Posted by molten vett
Bought them on Ebay from smcperformanceinc for $510.00 with free shipping. I had to pay MI sales tax though. You won't. Item 200384642666 on the site. Run over 600 from most suppliers. You need the 6 pieces that go on the vert top and surround the door windows. They are sold as a kit. Very easy install except for the vertical one that you have to remove from under where the top sits on the body. New one slides right in, but old one comes out hard. Bend it down towards the front of the car until the metal tab protrudes, grap it with pliers and you can pull it out. You will also need a tube of 3M weatherstrip adhesive but only need a few dabs of it.

It appears that I made the vertical installation more difficult than need be. By laying the top back down with the cover open you can access the plug button securing the weatherstrip to the top. Pull it out and save it for reinstallation on the new one.

Last edited by GreenDream; 05-17-2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Additional information
The following users liked this post:
Dukenukemx (07-10-2023)
Old 05-16-2010, 01:12 AM
molten vett
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok thanks for the info.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Artem_Wolf
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for info!!! This is a big problem for me too!
This kit include stock gm parts (10236327+10236328+10236329+10236330+104 15919+10415920)???
or this is modify (advanced) gm parts for recovery this problem?

Thank you!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:18 PM
PetersC5
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the same problem with air leaks on my 00 where the rear vertical weather strip met the glass in the upper corner. I could pass a doubled up paper towel between the glass and the seal in the upper 4" area.
I was about to take the door pannels off and adjust the glass inward when i noticed that the vertical weather strips are made with a soft aluminum frame, I thought what the hell, lets see if its malible. It is, I was able to push on the aluminum frame in the upper corners and move the weather seal out the 16th of an inch or so i needed to seal the air leak.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:41 PM
GreenDream
Pro

These are stock GM parts. I never found any aftermarket and am sure there will never be any due to low demand. The problem is that the old ones just wore out, shrunk and lost their shape. Even though I lubbed them often. They look good, but are really worn out.
As for the aluminum channels they go into, once my old stripping was out I could see where some had been bumped and distorted (probably from lowering and raising the top). They can be easily bent back into shape. It is not as obvious with the strips inserted, but they definately can be moved out to better fit against the window. There are 2 screws holding each channel to the top and there is a slight amount of adjustment in them also when replacing with new W/S. I would not go in there if not replacing though.
Old 05-21-2010, 02:51 PM
GreenDream
Pro

Left car out last night. Rained hard all night... Approached car with great apprehension even though I had tested it with a hose a couple times... Bone dry inside... wish I had done this a year ago... Finally I can drive with a dry butt....

Get notified of new replies

To Finally..Convertible top leaks repaired..

Quick Reply: Finally..Convertible top leaks repaired..