C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

6 speed won't go into reverse even with Solenoid removed

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 PM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 6 speed won't go into reverse even with Solenoid removed

Hey guys,
My car decided it wasn't going to go into reverse all of a sudden. I was told that it must be a problem with the reverse solenoid. The solenoid is removed and seems to be operating like it should. Even with it removed, though, I can not put the transmission into reverse. What would cause that all of a sudden? Would removal of the solenoid allow it to go into reverse, or is my thinking incorrect? Is reverse synchronized? Maybe the synchro is out? Please help, I am desperate and broke. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 77 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete W
Hey guys,
My car decided it wasn't going to go into reverse all of a sudden. I was told that it must be a problem with the reverse solenoid. The solenoid is removed and seems to be operating like it should. Even with it removed, though, I can not put the transmission into reverse. What would cause that all of a sudden? Would removal of the solenoid allow it to go into reverse, or is my thinking incorrect? Is reverse synchronized? Maybe the synchro is out? Please help, I am desperate and broke. Thanks.
Did you check codes before removing the solenoid? Did you do any troubleshooting? i.e. check for 12 volts at the connector and grounding pin A to see if the solenoid actuates?
Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

Connector was checked for voltage and solenoid was checked for correct actuation after removal. Figured it might be locked up that is why I removed first. Even out I still have no reverse so that point if really moot.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Connector was checked for voltage and solenoid was checked for correct actuation after removal. Figured it might be locked up that is why I removed first. Even out I still have no reverse so that point if really moot.
I guess it depends on how the solenoid behaves when energized(retracting or extending) that will determine if having it removed is the same as it working.

Sounds like you have it under control.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:40 PM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

But after pulling the solenoid, shouldn't I be able to shift into reverse? I thought that would at least make it so it could go in. I can shift into any gear but reverse. What would cause that? Anyone? PLEASE.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:16 PM
0tom01ss
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

syncro key broke or fell out. remove trans and rebuilt
Old 05-18-2010, 12:27 AM
GM Fan
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

At what stage of going into reverse do you have a problem, in other words can you get over all the way to the right to where just going up would engage reverse, or do you end up in 5th pushing forward when you've moved as far right as possible?

If it was just a bad solenoid, and even if the lockout somehow still works when the solenoid is removed (no idea, wouldn't have thought it did) you should still be able to muscle the shifter all the way to right where it should slide up into reverse with minimal effort going up.

Guess it could be shifter alignment issues but I'd think you'd have problems w/ other gears too. Doesn't sound good...
Old 05-18-2010, 04:19 AM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

But after pulling the solenoid, shouldn't I be able to shift into reverse? I thought that would at least make it so it could go in. I can shift into any gear but reverse. What would cause that? Anyone? PLEASE.
Don't put the key in the ignition and try to put it into reverse ? If you can do it, then your problem is electrical, if not it is mechanical
Old 05-18-2010, 05:33 AM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by tom01ss
syncro key broke or fell out. remove trans and rebuilt
Very possible.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

Ok guys, thanks. I guess I will look into it further.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:33 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

The fact that I can shift my car into reverse without the battery installed would lead me to believe that energized = locked out. Hence removing it should have the desired (though unsafe) effect. Can you get into reverse when the engine isn't running? If so, that would certainly point at the synchro.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by wcsinx
The fact that I can shift my car into reverse without the battery installed would lead me to believe that energized = locked out.
....and that's fine, provided you know what position the solenoid is in when energized...and de-energized.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Reverse Inhibit Description and Operation
The reverse inhibit solenoid is a safety feature which prevents an inadvertent shift into reverse at speeds above 5 kp/h (3 mph). The system consist of the following components:

The powertrain control module (PCM).
The reverse inhibit solenoid.
With the ignition ON battery voltage is supplied directly to the reverse inhibit solenoid. At forward speeds above 5 kp/h (3 mph) the PCM grounds the control circuit of the reverse inhibit solenoid. This energizes the solenoid and mechanically blocks the shift lever from going into the REVERSE position.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Dope
Resident moron
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

I vote on rebuild too. Even with the the solenoid engaged you can still muscle the shifter over into reverse, it's just harder to do. If you can't move it over to reverse at all, even with the solenoid removed and/or the engine off, you have a serious mechanical issue.

Dope
Old 05-18-2010, 03:27 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Dope
I vote on rebuild too. Even with the the solenoid engaged you can still muscle the shifter over into reverse, it's just harder to do. If you can't move it over to reverse at all, even with the solenoid removed and/or the engine off, you have a serious mechanical issue.

Dope
Not if something is jammed in the solenoid. I would try removing solenoid from the transmission first and see if that corrrects the problem.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:41 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
Don't put the key in the ignition and try to put it into reverse ? If you can do it, then your problem is electrical, if not it is mechanical
If you can get it into reverse with the car off, START the car (still in reverse) and let the clutch out and see if your truly in reverse or not. This would rule out the trans/shifter and point at the lockout.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Pete W
Burning Brakes

Solenoid is out of the tranny. Engine is not running. I still can not get it into reverse. I don't know how the synchro would stop it then. It is like something is physically blocking it. I don't understand how this would happen, though, all of a sudden. It worked one day, the next it doesn't. I am hoping maybe there is an issue with the shifter, or maybe linkage issues. I don't know, this is getting frustrating and expensive. Thanks for the help guys.

Get notified of new replies

To 6 speed won't go into reverse even with Solenoid removed

Old 05-18-2010, 05:11 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

At this point it appears mechanical and the tranny will need to be pulled and dis-assembled to figure out what's wrong.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:14 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Solenoid is out of the tranny. Engine is not running. I still can not get it into reverse.
Not good

I don't know how the synchro would stop it then. It is like something is physically blocking it. I don't understand how this would happen, though, all of a sudden.
If it broke or fell out of place (likely both) it very well could cause this. And it would be sudden.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:22 PM
dougbfresh
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Try 1 other thing, there are times when many have a hard time getting the car in reverse normally. Try pushing the car back a few inches while trying to get it into reverse. Last thing to try before the trans comes out.

Quick Reply: 6 speed won't go into reverse even with Solenoid removed