C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ATI Super Damper install questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 01:34 PM
nannynooch
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and then by part number on summit
Old 07-20-2014, 11:31 AM
noslen1968
Intermediate

Default ATI SD Steel and Driven=the Best?

(short)

Does the weight of it, steel vs aluminum, effect how much vibration it can dampen?

Does being under-driven vs the stock pulley-sized dampener effect how much dampening can be effected?

(long)

I noticed that they don't go for a 25% under-drive because they say it doesn't dampen enough. Therefore, would going with the stock pulley-sized option provide the most dampening - vs. 10%? I also remember they said something to the effect that there wasn't enough mass for 25% reduction, so also would going with the heavier steel dampener give even more dampening?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:21 AM
vettenuts
Team Owner

Received 186 Likes on 169 Posts

I spoke with their tech support at Carlisle when I bought mine (they had a booth there several years ago). I seem to recall he told me that the 10% wasn't much of a change in damping characteristics but 25% was and they wouldn't make it. They later did but it sounds like they have since dropped it.

I would call their tech support and ask them your questions. They have worked with a number of race teams and should have the information you are looking for. If you get some good technical information, might be worth posting.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:12 PM
noslen1968
Intermediate

Originally Posted by noslen1968
(short)

Does the weight of it, steel vs aluminum, effect how much vibration it can dampen?

Does being under-driven vs the stock pulley-sized dampener effect how much dampening can be effected?

(long)

I noticed that they don't go for a 25% under-drive because they say it doesn't dampen enough. Therefore, would going with the stock pulley-sized option provide the most dampening - vs. 10%? I also remember they said something to the effect that there wasn't enough mass for 25% reduction, so also would going with the heavier steel dampener give even more dampening?
I got this reply from ATI - seems that the best bet is aluminum with a stock pulley size:

Thanks for contacting ATI.

The steel versus aluminum, on the damper body (and also on the hub) is only a matter of weight. Between two identical dampers with the only thing being the difference in casing and/or hub material, they will protect equally. The aluminum will just take weight of the crank, and ultimately off the car.

Underdrive versus OEM or Overdrive can affect protection level if the accessory drive is directly on the damper body outer diameter. By going to a smaller drive diameter than OEM (underdrive), it restricts the diameter and size of the inertia weight inside the damper. This weight and how heavy it is, is how the damper protect. For the most part, bigger is better when talking inertia weight in a damper.

Thank You,

RS
Sales Associate
Here is their info about it http://www.atiracing.com/products/da...mper_dinan.htm

Last edited by noslen1968; 07-23-2014 at 06:14 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:06 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For what it's worth I have their aluminum 10% under drive and everything seems fine at 450rwhp.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:39 AM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just purchased their ATI 10% under drive pulley for my C6 Z06.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:50 AM
rob20rx7
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Intalled the pulley, cant tell much diffrence from driving yet but ATI is known for the great product they manufacture. Lets see what the dyno numbers show next week. Damper went on easy with the install kit i borrowed from my friend.

used a 79" belt and OEM AC belt.

Quick Reply: ATI Super Damper install questions