C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:08 AM
All_Motor_C5LS6
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing fuel filter

what size fuel line disconnect tool do I use? is it 5/8?
Old 05-26-2010, 09:45 PM
0HorsePowerAddicts
Former Vendor

Received 166 Likes on 118 Posts

It is 3/8" tube to the engine.Should be a 10mm nut holding the filter to the frame and plastic quick connects to the filter feed and return on 99 and newer.

Last edited by HorsePowerAddicts; 05-26-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:24 PM
jaybar
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

This thread is timely I am in the process of replacing my fuel filter. But I ran into a porblem. I can't get the line off that goes to the fuel rails.
I have a little plastic tool that fits on my replacement filter but when I put in in place and push it into the old filter the line will not come out.
Am I doing something wrong or should I purchase a metal tool that may work harder on the tabs.

Also I see in some threads people speak of using a small screw driver to push the tabs down is this an option and if so how exactly is this accomplished?
Any help will be appriciated, I am still up in the air and the whole place smells of gas.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:51 PM
warlock007
Pro

the plastic one will work, thats what i used. Its just been there a while. make sure you remove the rear two first then the front one so you can grab it. just might take a few attempts to work it out.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Intermediate

Can anyone make some photos showing the step by step process of removing the fuel filter on the C5.. This would be nice.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:36 PM
jaybar
Racer

Well, I worked on it for about an hour. Removed the two rear lines came off, in seconds. Then the front line with the plastic fitting. Pulled, twisted ,the filter nothing.I assume the motion is to push in the plastic tool while pulling the filter off the line. Easer said than done..
Old 07-18-2010, 03:52 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by jaybar
Well, I worked on it for about an hour. Removed the two rear lines came off, in seconds. Then the front line with the plastic fitting. Pulled, twisted ,the filter nothing.I assume the motion is to push in the plastic tool while pulling the filter off the line. Easer said than done..
Push IN on the fuel line into the fuel filter while inserting the tool. That will release pressure on the retainer spring. Once the toolslides in,, release the inward pressure and extract the line.

BC
Old 07-19-2010, 03:42 PM
jaybar
Racer

Originally Posted by Bill Curlee
Push IN on the fuel line into the fuel filter while inserting the tool. That will release pressure on the retainer spring. Once the toolslides in,, release the inward pressure and extract the line.

BC
As I has said easier said than done. I tried again today. To get more wiggle room I took off the bracked, tied the other fuel lines out of the way and went to work. First of all when I pushed in it did not move in.
I used the tool pushed it in as I was pushing the filter against it. Then tried to pull it off. Nothing!!
I tried to screw the tool in place seemed to go in a bit further but still nothing.

The fuel line appears to be plastic, could a piece be broken inside the filter neck and holding it in. Or could one of the spring clips are broken and is stopping the other ones to dis- engaging?

And lastly what is is the route of the fuel line to the fuel rail? Could I replace a section of the line without removing the tunnel plate?

I have put it all back together and am about to say F*** it. I hate to
not finish the job and fear with all the jimmying around I may have caused the fitting to leak.

Help what can I do?? Even thought the work space is tight can those spring clips be popped out with a small screw driver???

Last edited by jaybar; 07-19-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:51 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Try some spray lube oil in the fitting to lube up the spring. Then try it again. All it is is a spring that locks on to the lip on the fuel line. There may be dirt inside thats preventing the spring from being able to expand. Maybe use some compressed air to blow it out.

Last resort, tap it in with a small hammer.

BC

BC
Old 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
jaybar
Racer

Try some spray lube oil in the fitting to lube up the spring. Then try it again. All it is is a spring that locks on to the lip on the fuel line. There may be dirt inside thats preventing the spring from being able to expand. Maybe use some compressed air to blow it out.

Last resort, tap it in with a small hammer.

BC

BC
Good suggestion. I will try air then the spray lube. But let me ask. I look at the replacement AC filter and it has what I would call "tabs" I guess they are also referred to as "springs". The tool is slid over the line then slid forward to compress the tabs. So I can see if something is restricting one of the tabs from releasing it will hold the line in place. I guess the line has a ring around it that the tabs hold in place.

Now worst case scenario, I was thinking of cutting the line, then putting the filter in a vice and remove the end of the line where I can see what's going on. Then when I re-install it slipping a piece of hose over the line pieces to join them, and use hose clamps. Think that would hold the pressure? I hate doing things half A** but I am stumped.
Old 07-19-2010, 07:16 PM
ScottPurlee
Advanced

Default Try This...

I had the same problem when I replaced my filter recently.

I wrapped a couple of turns of electrical tape around the tool so as to thicken the portion that inserts into the filter neck and thus depress the tangs more. The filter popped right off!

Afterward I compared the tool I was using to the others in the kit I bought and sure enough, the plastic sleeve was thinner than the others and simply didn't move the tangs out of teh way.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2010, 07:30 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Good suggestion. I will try air then the spray lube. But let me ask. I look at the replacement AC filter and it has what I would call "tabs" I guess they are also referred to as "springs". The tool is slid over the line then slid forward to compress the tabs. So I can see if something is restricting one of the tabs from releasing it will hold the line in place. I guess the line has a ring around it that the tabs hold in place.

Now worst case scenario, I was thinking of cutting the line, then putting the filter in a vice and remove the end of the line where I can see what's going on. Then when I re-install it slipping a piece of hose over the line pieces to join them, and use hose clamps. Think that would hold the pressure? I hate doing things half A** but I am stumped.
DO NOT cut the line.... If you do you will be replacing it (the entire thing!!) It will not seal worth a damn.

BC
Old 07-19-2010, 08:14 PM
jaybar
Racer

DO NOT cut the line.... If you do you will be replacing it (the entire thing!!) It will not seal worth a damn.

BC
Ok, well I guess that is not and option, thanks Bill
Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll try the tape thing....now where the heck is my tape!?
Old 07-19-2010, 09:02 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

That didn't work.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:03 PM
FASST LN
Drifting

I have been pushing the filter towards the engine while trying to insert the disconnect tool into the filter. At the same time I've rotated the filter and the disconnect tool counter to one another. I've sprayed lithium grease into the filter end trying to lube the disconnect tool. I've inserted my small flathead screwdrivers into the filter trying to move/pry the springs a bit.
I've now detached the fuel line from its bracket to get more clearance but it still won't budge.

I really think the only option is to cut this thing off, but I don't know how far the fuel line runs into the filter.
Old 07-20-2010, 06:44 AM
jaybar
Racer

Originally Posted by FASST LN
I have been pushing the filter towards the engine while trying to insert the disconnect tool into the filter. At the same time I've rotated the filter and the disconnect tool counter to one another. I've sprayed lithium grease into the filter end trying to lube the disconnect tool. I've inserted my small flathead screwdrivers into the filter trying to move/pry the springs a bit.
I've now detached the fuel line from its bracket to get more clearance but it still won't budge.

I really think the only option is to cut this thing off, but I don't know how far the fuel line runs into the filter.
FASST LN, you are a few try's ahead of me. I have been thinking if I have to cut it off what I would do. In looking at the replacement filter it seems the "springs" or "tabs" are attached along the edge or rim. Possibly using a Dremmel you could just cut the rim which would remove the tabs and hopefully let the filter fall off.
I say this but don't know if there is room to get a Dremmel in there. And there is the question of how safe is it to cause that much heat
at the end of a fuel line. I guess I would disconnect the fuel line at the rail and blow the gas backward to the filter, which as I write this starts to sound dumb to me. Maybe it would be better to push some air through the fitting that did come off to move the gas away from the filter.
So many questions...so many possibilities. I wish someone that has had to cut it off will chime in.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing fuel filter

Old 07-20-2010, 06:48 AM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Dremmel tool = FIRE!! I would NOT recommend that Idea.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:03 AM
printmanjackson
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

I don't think that will hold up to the high fuel pressure
Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 AM
FASST LN
Drifting

I was going to use a hacksaw.
FIRST, however, I'm going to buy a metal scissor type disconnect tool and see if I have better luck with that. A friend has a small 'spreading' tool that I'll use next.
If none of that works, out comes the hacksaw.

All too often my simple maintenance jobs turn into epic struggles.

Quick Reply: Replacing fuel filter