C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC went out, car started to smell, then smoke

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 10:12 PM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts

Default AC went out, car started to smell, then smoke

I was curious if anybody knows what is going on. It seems like the entire car is falling apart. 2003Z with 92k.

After a couple hours of driving in hot humid traffic, my ac went out. It kept blowing air, just not cool air. Then about 2 minutes later, I started to smell something burn. I really can't describe the smell, maybe a burning rubber or plastic smell. I got off the road as quickly as possible, and shut the car off. Fortunatly I was right next to where I was going, my grandparents house. It was smoking pretty bad when I popped the hood, and it looked like it was coming from around the AC compressor. Oil temps and Coolant temps were fine.

I left the car at my grandparents and don't have time to mess with it right now since my grandpa just passed last night. I have not pulled any codes.

Any ideas?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:58 PM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like you may have an a/c compressor that seized and is burning the belt.
Old 06-15-2010, 01:21 AM
lucky131969
Tech Contributor

Received 76 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by winters97gt
I was curious if anybody knows what is going on. It seems like the entire car is falling apart. 2003Z with 92k.

After a couple hours of driving in hot humid traffic, my ac went out. It kept blowing air, just not cool air. Then about 2 minutes later, I started to smell something burn. I really can't describe the smell, maybe a burning rubber or plastic smell. I got off the road as quickly as possible, and shut the car off. Fortunatly I was right next to where I was going, my grandparents house. It was smoking pretty bad when I popped the hood, and it looked like it was coming from around the AC compressor. Oil temps and Coolant temps were fine.

I left the car at my grandparents and don't have time to mess with it right now since my grandpa just passed last night. I have not pulled any codes.

Any ideas?
Sorry for your loss. The compressor may have seized. Inspect the belt to see if it's fried. In any case, your probably just better off cutting the belt off, and dealing with it when you have time.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Rebel, and Lucky, thanks for the help.

Tonight, we let the heavy traffic die down and let the car cool off for 5 hours. I left the AC off, and I drove the car home 5 miles on the loop in Houston. No stop and go, just a strait 70mph drive. When I got the car home, there was a slight burning smell when I popped the hood, but no smoke.

Would this have anything to do with my DMH cutouts locking up yesterday?(had to do 100mph+ for a couple hundred miles from San Antonio to Houston for his last few hours). I've got a big cam in my car. Any chance that the wiring of the cutouts and them locking up(possibly shorting or burning out) had anything to do with this?

Also, is the belt conected to the crank pulley? If I cut it, would it have a chance of throwing anything out of balance internally on the motor? I can live with no AC for now, but just don't want to drive my work van this week for the family meetings/funeral/ etc.

Thanks again,

Mark
Old 06-15-2010, 02:23 AM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

a/c belt is separate... remove the belt...will not affect anything besides the a/c..and it does not work anyway....

sounds like a bad compressor as you were told about above....

hope everything gets better...
Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 AM
winters97gt
Le Mans Master

Thanks Tommie. I'll cut it off the car tomorrow since I'm sure it needs to be replaced a long with the compressor. Found a new AC delco one in pearland for 100 bucks.

Also, are all ls1/ls6 compressors the same? And are they different on Fbodys than vettes?

Last edited by winters97gt; 06-16-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:57 AM
tommie
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

not sure on interchange...

look up part #s on the net or o reilly or autozone... see if they are the same...

Get notified of new replies

To AC went out, car started to smell, then smoke

Quick Reply: AC went out, car started to smell, then smoke